PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right call here?

WarLordAG
03-15-2005, 07:59 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t2155)
Button (t3680)
SB (t1440)
BB (t2195)
UTG (t4030)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t500, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1150) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG calls t300.

Turn: (t2350) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1055 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t1055.

River: (t4460) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4460

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 9h 9c (full house, nines full of fives).
Hero has Ah Kc (two pair, kings and fives).
Outcome: UTG wins t4460. </font>

He had been raising quite a bit, For some reason this hand bugs me, but I'm not sure I played it poorly. I feel that if I had pushed preflop or after the flop I think he still would have called me.

BradleyT
03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
When it's your turn to act on the flop there's 1400 in the pot and 1600 in your stack. You've hit your hand so why aren't all your chips going in?

networkman
03-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't want to post 'I would'nt have called' so I won't (but I would'nt /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

You should've went allin on the flop. Would he have folded? Who knows, but its the right play...

codewarrior
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Push the flop.

shoeman
03-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I think an argument can be made for pushing all-in preflop. Since you decided to call (which is fine), all your chips need to go in the middle on the flop.

shoeman
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to post 'I would'nt have called' so I won't (but I would'nt /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you would push or fold preflop? I think pushing is fine and folding is terrible. If you are suggesting folding here, can you give any reasons?

Elektrik
03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He had been raising quite a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so we're defining a range of hands here - most PP's, some Ax's, KJ-KQ? I'd say your AKo looks pretty good against that range. And there's a significant amount (25% of my stack) of chips out there to take. So I push preflop. You definitely have FE here.

However, now that we've called, the next question:

What is your plan for the two thirds of the time you've called off a quater of your stack, miss the flop, and he bets 1/3rd of the pot at you? Fortunately for you, you didn't have to deal with that situation as you hit a great flop, but do you see the potential problems we face?

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that if I had pushed preflop or after the flop I think he still would have called me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to realize that you WANT him to call you with his two outer on the flop. Also, it's utterly ridiculous to say he WILL call you preflop, as he has a wide range of possible hands. Unless, of course, he's a complete idiot. Stop being results oriented.

Granted that you did call preflop like that, you've hit a fantastic flop, and now it's time to extract his chips, and hopefully get him to the felt drawing to his 2 or 3 outer. If pushing the flop will do that, then push. If min raising will lure him in, which it apparently did, then do that. Just don't ever fold....

WarLordAG
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I appreciate the comments, I remember wanting to push preflop, and I think that's been a leak in my game since coming back is not being as aggresive. Slow playing anything to an extent is bad. Better to win a bunch of little pots than lose a big one right?

Again, thanks again, it helps to have others comment on a play.

Scuba Chuck
03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
OP, working with a friend of mine, who is just starting out, somethings occured to me. He is so afraid of losing all his chips. That's what makes the math part of this game so soothing.

It's worth it to risk losing all your chips when you have the right odds, because in the long run, you're gaining.