PDA

View Full Version : Bad value bet?

ToneLoc
03-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi All.
I witnessed the following hand yesterday, and based on my read, thought the river line of bet/calling a raise was bad. Comments?

Crypto 20-40 6-Max, 6 players

<font color="blue"> Preflop </font>
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds.

<font color="blue"> Flop: </font> 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, UTG calls.

<font color="blue"> Turn: </font> Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG raises, UTG+1 calls.
<font color="#666666"> Seems to me that UTG just hit AQ or has an OP. He is a solid, not too funky player. </font>

<font color="blue"> River: </font> J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, UTG calls.

Results: UTG+1 wins holding K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Apocalypse
03-15-2005, 08:15 AM
i don't like the riverbet either. Especially since he didn't 3-bet preflop but coldcalled limiting his range of hands significantly (very much so when it comes to possible pocket pairs). This should make UTG more than aware of the very few possible holdings UTG+1 is carrying to the finishline here. Certainly after calling the turnraise it limits too just about KJs and KTs (if hes a bit laggy). You don't want to bet into any of these two on the river.

edit: possible diamondraw seems pretty unlikely but in poker anything can happen of course /images/graemlins/wink.gif however, don't bet into that either

djoyce003
03-15-2005, 12:12 PM
It's a terrible bet, especially if you are going to call the raise. You've got to ask yourself what he was raising the flop with...that is generally top pair. When that jack pairs on the river you've gotta think you are behind to three of a kind, like he was. Check call is ok because you could induce a bluff from a worse hand, but I think leading out is thin at best, horrible at worst.

dave44
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
UTG+1 would likely raise the flop with many PP's below that Jack, but since its unlikely those PP's would have made it this far, the river bet is no good.