PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

Jorge10
03-15-2005, 03:45 AM
#Game No : 1738526651
***** Hand History for Game 1738526651 *****
$100 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Tuesday, March 15, 02:37:05 EDT 2005
Table Table 37241 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: seminole2005 ( $233 )
Seat 10: papafatstaxs ( $190.19 )
Seat 1: mustlose ( $63.96 )
Seat 4: buylow ( $68 )
Seat 5: aodbeto ( $179.25 )
Seat 7: drugyacht ( $122.12 )
Seat 6: CaliGirl99 ( $113.25 )
Seat 9: JIMYOH ( $95.3 )
Seat 8: wgp123 ( $92.8 )
Seat 3: wassman ( $99 )
drugyacht posts small blind [$0.5].
wgp123 posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mustlose [ Tc 7d Ad 3s ]
JIMYOH calls [$1].
papafatstaxs calls [$1].
mustlose calls [$1].
seminole2005 folds.
wassman folds.
buylow calls [$1].
aodbeto folds.
CaliGirl99 calls [$1].
drugyacht calls [$0.5].
wgp123 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Td, 2d, 4c ]
drugyacht bets [$6.65].
wgp123 folds.
JIMYOH folds.
papafatstaxs calls [$6.65].
mustlose raises [$33.25].
buylow folds.
CaliGirl99 folds.
drugyacht folds.
papafatstaxs calls [$26.6].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ks ]
papafatstaxs bets [$35].
mustlose is all-In [$29.71]
** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
papafatstaxs shows [ 2h, 2c, 4d, 2s ] a full house, Twos full of kings.
mustlose doesn't show [ Tc, 7d, Ad, 3s ] two pairs, kings and tens.
papafatstaxs wins $5.29 from side pot #1 with a full house, Twos full of kings.
papafatstaxs wins $136.57 from the main pot with a full house, Twos full of kings.
There was no qualifying low hand.
Game #1738531157 starts.

Ok I bet the pot in order to trap people that might just have a low draw or straight draw with my flush draw/top pair, I didnt want them to bail if the turn was terrible(such as a 9), I also figured since one bet and one called one had a/3 and one might at worse have a set, but my hand was so strong it was way ahead against even top set. I probably screwed up somewhere, any ideas where? I know there was a mistake because I always screw up somehow.

RickyG
03-15-2005, 07:52 AM
First mistake is posting the hand without converting it. :-D.

I'm a n00b but here is my best analysis.

Outs To High Flush: kd q jd 9d Low diamonds: 8d 6d 5d 4d 3d
You have 9 outs, one of which counterfits your low, the other one pairs the board, so 7 outs to the nuts. You have one less with the turn, (kd pairs the board) so 6 outs to the nut high and low. You have three more outs for the straight with the 5, but this would put a higher straight on the board. You have more outs to just the low, but then you are going for half of the pot, and considering the betting probably less than that (1/4) (I know it wasnt the case in this hand, but I would think its damn likely) . You low is still vulnerable since you dont have a safety card. So, at best you have 6 nut outs with no made hand. In which you have bet all in. If this were hold'em, imagine you went all in with four to the straight and two flush cards on the board (I KNOW it's alitte different, but similar enough for my purposes).

Anyway. Thats my humble opinion. You went all in with an OK to BAD draw and lost. According to Card Players Omaha Calculator after the turn you scoop 25% of the time, win the high only 25% of the time (which is why you scoop) , and win the low only 53% of the time. You win the whole pot a quarter of the time, and half the pot half the time. Is this worth your entire stack?

I probably would have called the $6 bet on the flop, this way you get anyone drawing at anything but the nut low to call, your bet just drives out people with worse hands than yours and makes sure that those with better cards stick around in case you make the low.

I took a crack at this because I want to see if my analysis is way wrong. I'd like to know what people with more experience think of my analysis.

slobber
03-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Id agree with ricky his analysis makes sense. I dont profess to have the best answer for you. Your raise was pretty nosensical-this is not a trap a trap gets dead money in the pot. Someone who raises the full amout or close to it is not likely to fold to a reraise. Are they. Keap in mind a raise like that out of possiton usually indicates strengh. you are drawing to a nuts high and nuts low this seams like a wild semi bluff. So draw then dont go raise crazy what if he had a set and A-3 even A-5 or for that matter 3-6. You were not a favorite against any set with a low draw. A favorite over a set with K J yes. You say you wanted to bet out any low draws, but why you have no high yet and most your outs for a low would ruin other low draws who might put money in (thinking maybe they both have no low). This is the same as you assuming your opponent has a naked set with no low draw correct. I understand this is a pretty phillisophical answer to your query but in general ask yourself this question. Why get pot stuck, if you dont hit the turn you still have to call all in in my opinion. Furthermore after you isolated one player, it is not multi-way anymore so your pot odds and implied pot odds go severely down. This wouldve been a great multi-pot hand in my oppinion. But you have to see the TURN first. Ricky said it you bet out a hand behind you that could've called ( who knows maybe he wouldve raised)and for what to isolate with a draw? Esp. if your playing to split the pot. Say you hit a big diamond on the turn and make a flush he/ she still has to call your all in on the turn with 9 out to a full house (pot committed over three to one on their money) your right about being a favorite in this case but a smooth call would probably be your best bet. its a pretty good therory to keap the pots small. Id rather win five or six small pots then put a big raise in and get pot stuck without a made hand. If you smooth call you might get hit a monster turn. You may hit or maybe not but you can weigh your options when that happens. A major fault of cash game play is trying to win big every pot your in. If you smooth call and dont hit you still have the option to fold say if the board pairs 2's. Also smooth calling disguises the strength of you hand who knows the turn might be a diamond. Actually this is a trap b/c if and when the turn hits you well he could lead right into you again. In a pot limit game it seams kinda silly to go all in on draws (which is basicaly what you did by reraising)Long story short dont overbet pots without a lock of some kind. And simply speaking that is very difficult to do after seeing only 3 community cards. A general rule of pot limit games is to see cheap flops in this case I think it applys to the turn as well.