PDA

View Full Version : Check it or Bet it?

adsman
03-15-2005, 02:55 AM
I know that this is a heads up situation, but I posted it here because;
1. The table was nine handed.
2. I know you guys, (I don't want to go to a strange forum...)
3. I'm still working on a three.

Reads. I've got plenty. 90%/13.5%/1 He's been having a good run, up 45BB over 3 hours. On a similiar hand HU, he picked up the top pair on the turn and smooth-called and check-raised the river. So do I bet this river or check it down?
All responses appreciated,

Adam

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?

droolie
03-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Don't apologize for posting this here. This is the correct forum. The fact that the hand got heads up is just part of the game...

I would definitely check this river. I don't see villian calling you with anything you beat enough to make this +EV.

bottomset
03-15-2005, 03:12 AM
checks behind, very little he can call with that you beat

deacsoft
03-15-2005, 03:14 AM
Check it.

Sykes
03-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Here's a question, What exactly is hero beating here?

djshawk
03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
would checking the turn here be good? That way you get a showdown for no more than 1BB. If you have seen villian C/R before then getting c/r'd on the turn would suck, you could showdown for the same price.

adsman
03-15-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would checking the turn here be good? That way you get a showdown for no more than 1BB. If you have seen villian C/R before then getting c/r'd on the turn would suck, you could showdown for the same price.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only card that I was worried about here was the Q. But I didn't want to lose control of the hand. If I had checked he would have sensed weakness and automatically bet. Plus, if he is tagging along with nothing I miss out on a BB, nor do I want to give a freecard with my pair of 8's being so vulnerable.

Isura
03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
I think betting the turn is better than checking for several reasons. For one, it protects your hand when you are ahead. Also, villian will probably check a weak made hand himself after calling the turn, giving you the free showdown. Also, if he makes his hand on the river, he'll probably go for the check-raise thinking you will get a pair of A's or Q's. If you check the turn, you open yourself to getting bluffed on the river by a worst hand and value bet into by a better hand. Getting check-raised on the turn is okay, I have no problem laying this hand down to a turn check-raise, even against a boarderline maniac.

adsman
03-15-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question, What exactly is hero beating here?

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd pair heads up on the flop is a very good hand. Particularly when I'm 99.99% sure that villian hasn't got an Ace.

memphis57
03-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I say bet the river. You're representing aces, which he seems not to have - why would he check-raise Q's against possible aces? In fact, he might even fold them to a bet here, although probably not. But, bottom line, you seem to be ahead so charge ahead until proven wrong - you'll lose some embarassingly but you'll win more than you lose.

Buckmulligan
03-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Looks like he might have an 8x too, but probably a better kicker. I see several lines you can take.
1. Muck to his flop bet.
2. play like you did (although I dont think I am betting the river for value)
3. call down.

Buckmulligan
03-15-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think betting the turn is better than checking for several reasons. For one, it protects your hand when you are ahead. Also, villian will probably check a weak made hand himself after calling the turn, giving you the free showdown. Also, if he makes his hand on the river, he'll probably go for the check-raise thinking you will get a pair of A's or Q's. If you check the turn, you open yourself to getting bluffed on the river by a worst hand and value bet into by a better hand. Getting check-raised on the turn is okay, I have no problem laying this hand down to a turn check-raise, even against a boarderline maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good thinking. I think a good aggressive player always looks for oppotunities to do the most and the least with his hand at the same time. Most of us agree that we don't want to put in more than one more bet on 4th and 5th. This play protects the hand, while also giving us a better shot at checking down on the river, and giving him a shot to fold hands like K8.