PDA

View Full Version : 55 in MP hits a set

MrWookie47
03-15-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure how well I played this hand. SB is LP-P. Button is LA-A.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Here's where I'm not so sure about my play. I decided to call the flop raise with the intention of check/raising the turn. Button was aggressive, but not a maniac. A 3-bet probably would have slowed him down, so I chose to wait to raise him on the expensive street. Is that a good idea to extract more value? A bad idea because I'd be too likely to get that value and more by just 3-betting? A bad idea letting draws off easily on the flop? I'm not sure.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Button bet, and I check/raised as planned. That card, though, could have opened up a lot of redraws.

River: (13.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

SB had hardly found the bet button all night, so I get a sinking feeling that I'm beat, but there's no way I can fold this getting 14.5:1.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

milesdyson
03-15-2005, 01:45 AM
3-bet this flop and hope the loose agressive Button caps it. If that happens, you get the 3 BB you get by check raising the turn right on the flop.

I like the river call.

Firefly
03-15-2005, 01:56 AM
I love sets. I also love to ram and jam with sets. 3-bet the flop. I know that hand looks purdy, but you can go to war and hope those nice fish come along with you.
Turn and river play are solid.

deepsquat
03-15-2005, 02:25 AM
On the flop with SB trapped in the middle you must 3bet and cap this flop. Same goes on the turn.

I would also raise the river but it is hard to know what to put SB on seeing as you didnt punish him on the flop and turn.

Aaron W.
03-15-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also raise the river but it is hard to know what to put SB on seeing as you didnt punish him on the flop and turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? If you 'punished' him, what more would you know that would make a relevant difference in how you play the hand?

Also, did you see Hero's read? Based on that read, calling is clearly correct. There's little to gain and lots to lose by raising this river. I know the spades came runner-runner, but when the passive player wakes up on the river, I'd rather not start a war with him.

Dead
03-15-2005, 03:13 AM
It's SSH principles misapplied.

deepsquat
03-15-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? If you 'punished' him, what more would you know that would make a relevant difference in how you play the hand?

Also, did you see Hero's read? Based on that read, calling is clearly correct. There's little to gain and lots to lose by raising this river. I know the spades came runner-runner, but when the passive player wakes up on the river, I'd rather not start a war with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point regarding the read on SB, i didnt pay attn to that.

What i meant by punish is that SB is possibly stuck between a raising war padding the pot or getting out of the way increasing our pot equity. As it looks like SB won this pot a 3 bet and/or button cap on the flop could have won us the pot.

Im not necessarily putting SB on a flush just cos 3 running spades fell. This looks more like 2 pair to me.

I definately raise the turn but call the river.

Would SB have the odds to call another two small bet on the flop if button capped? obviously hard to know unless we get the results.

Just my perception.

Aaron W.
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would SB have the odds to call another two small bet on the flop if button capped? obviously hard to know unless we get the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt he had odds for anything. The power of the set is that it causes people to miscount outs. If he had just a pair, he's drawing dead. A pocket pair larger than 55 has two outs. Two of the backdoor flush cards are bad, meaning that it's worth closer to one out instead of 1.5. Straight outs are the only clean ones against Hero. All of these draws are also vulnerable to the full house redraw. It's hard to imagine any combination of these that would play the hand in that way which had proper odds to chase.

gvibes
03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Isn't this an obvious flop check/raise opportunity? Most LA-A's will autobet a non-threatening flop like that.

The way you played it, I would probably just 3-bet the flop and lead the turn, but the smooth-call and turn c/r is viable as well. I'm trying to fastplay more.