PDA

View Full Version : Min bet for info?

AA suited
03-15-2005, 01:07 AM
if someone catches mid/bottom pair, they bet min. if they are raised, that tells them they are beat and they fold.

i'm pretty sure this is wrong, but i don't know why. Someone elightne me pls?

Pepsquad
03-15-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if someone catches mid/bottom pair, they bet min. if they are raised, that tells them they are beat and they fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the right opponent, min-betting can be the right line but you describe the best possible scenario. What happens when you min-bet and they call? You haven't gained anything. But mainly, the reason I don't do it is because min-betting helps my opponent put me on exactly the type of hand that I have (a weak made hand or a draw). This would only serve to encourage a raise from opponents you might have beat at the moment (like someone with overcards) whereas, if you had checked, they might check behind and take the free turn. Remember that Tight-aggressive is the name of the game. If you can't bet aggressively, don't bet at all.

Pep.

david050173
03-15-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It works as long as you don't think your opponent will do a bluff raise.

SNOWBALL138
03-15-2005, 03:47 AM
just remember that the minibet is only good as a "blocker" bet. It stops a bluff for a hand you want to showdown.

The minibet is not a value bet, or a good bluff bet.

Here's the thing: you only want to stop a bluff against an aggressive player, however, aggressive players will bluff raise you!

Some aggressive players will not bluff raise you. Do you know who these are? They aren't easy to spot.

The other thing about the minibet is that if you do it on the flop, but just check the turn and river, even a passive players might bluff you.

I sometimes find a blocker bet to be useful on the river though.

Blind Thief
03-15-2005, 04:31 AM
they wanna win the pot right there...i asuume you mean late in the tourney...100/200 blinds or so

i do that all the time...my 7's with J kicker looks like its prolly the best hand so i wanna take the pot now...but if i'm raised i'll let it go

GIMME YOUR BLINDS!

Benholio
03-15-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one thing, a min bet will almost always give the other player proper odds to draw to his overcard, second pair, gutshot straight, etc etc... So if you ARE ahead when you minbet, you are pricing your opponent in. If you are behind, you are either getting called or raised. The bet doesn't really accomplish anything.

codewarrior
03-15-2005, 07:45 AM
If you mini-bet and they fold, well, enough said.

If you mini-bet and they just call or raise, what did you really learn? Think before answering. Did your mini-bet help you narrow the range of hands you put them on before you made the bet? If it doesn't, it wasn't a god play to make. IMNSHO.

AA suited
03-15-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they wanna win the pot right there...i asuume you mean late in the tourney...100/200 blinds or so

i do that all the time...my 7's with J kicker looks like its prolly the best hand so i wanna take the pot now...but if i'm raised i'll let it go

GIMME YOUR BLINDS!

[/ QUOTE ]

this is when stacks of the players in the hand are 10x+ blinds. so yes i can be at 100/200.

on a rainbow flop, a min bet may mean he has top pair and wants to get some $ into the pot. and to induce a raise.

on a 2 tone flop, i'm at a lost as to why it's done unless you are on a flush draw and it's a blocking bet. (I play at the 50+5 level.)

hm.. how effective is this?
I am the BB with TJo at 25/50 blinds. mp and button limp, sb folds. flop is rainbow rags lower than T. I min bet hoping to catch my overcards.

or is check/fold still the +EV play here?

asofel
03-15-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how effective is this?
I am the BB with TJo at 25/50 blinds. mp and button limp, sb folds. flop is rainbow rags lower than T. I min bet hoping to catch my overcards.

or is check/fold still the +EV play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you hit a J on the turn. You bet and are raised, or even called. Do you feel good with that T kicker? I wouldn't. AK would obviously be different. I'd just check/fold.