PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is Arizona(-5.5) and GT(-6) outrageous?

PITTM
03-14-2005, 09:55 PM
how can i not parlay those two wins?

rj

unlucky513
03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
i honestly dont think GT is worth all the hype. they played one good game against carolina, and struggled after that. zona -5.5 is nice tho

mmbt0ne
03-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Our best scorer goes 3-19, we shoot 29.7% from the field, and we lose by 5 to a number 1 seed in the tourney, after beating another number one the day before. Tech is hitting it's stride hard, and will be a force in the tourney.

That said, I never like laying too many points on them. You should've gotten them when they openned at -3, but even now there are a few books that have them at -5.

slogger
03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
then Utah St. is a fantastic value at +6. I would take them at +5.

E.g., Sagarin's computer rankings list a 2-point differential between these teams. If they were playing at Arizona, I could understand a 6-8 point spread. On a neutral court, closer to Utah St., the spread should be no more than 4.

Sadat X
03-15-2005, 02:17 PM
A bit of background on Arizona - in 2002 Arizona was a 7 point favorite in the first round vs. 14 seed UCSB (Big West Champion). They struggled to any defense all game and the game came down to the final few possesions. In the end they pulled out a close win, failing to beat the spread.

Having watched UCSB (my school at the time) play all year, I thought there was no way Zona wouldn't cover 7, so I bet them and lost.

This year they go against perrenial Big West power Utah St. who just ended #16 Pacific's 22 game winning streak in the Big West tourney final. USU has tons of tourney experience, including a first round upset two years ago.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is don't bet Arizona. 5.5 looks too good to be true and it probably is.

trying2learn
03-15-2005, 04:10 PM
i have to agree here...but don't jump on utah st either. i'm an arizona alum and huge fan, and 5.5 scares the hell out of me. they should cover it, and very well may...but it could just as easily be a buzzer-beater that they come up on the short end of. if az can get past the first two rounds however, look for value with them against okst and/or if even further the illini.

rohjoh
03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Arizona is 5-0 after a loss this season with an average margin of victory of 10 points. Granted they have had there problems in the first round, especially against mid major conferences. No way that Lute does not have his players ready to play. I love the GT to AZ parlay!

trying2learn
03-15-2005, 07:56 PM
great stat...you've put me more at ease with my fav team my friend - thanks for that. (i hope)

PITTM
03-16-2005, 01:37 PM
i was at ucsb that year too, but i was transferring the next year so i couldnt really have cared much less, haha.

rj