PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for shorthanded SNG's?

Paradigm
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Don't know if we've talked about this, but I've been having some success in the Poker Room 10+1 5-man SNG's. Not sure if my strategies are optimal, though, but I think I've a grasp for the play at this level. Anybody play shorthanded tourneys and want to give some advice?

Or, if the advice is "move this to the shorthanded forum" then that's cool as well.

elonkra
03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd like to talk about this as well. I play 6man SNG's, and I'm not always sure what how the information I read here should be applied differently to my game. Don't have any specific input to offer (and any I might offer should probably be taken with a grain of salt anyway), but I'm interested in the discussion.

hurlyburly
03-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Raise every hand you play PF and try to play A LOT more hands. Loose PF, tight postflop. Not as tight as your usual standards, but middle/top pair is much stronger unless the betting says otherwise. Try to be the aggressor, but don't ignore information. Fold to reraises unless you hit well, but generally ramp up the aggression until you are sorta uncomfortable.

My best games have me seeing 35-50% of the flops, and taking many down with continuation bets. Once you get a little stack going from this, increase your raises. Your goal is to get the whole table to get comfortable playing above the blinds, so you will get paid off on your monsters.

Clamp down a little bit if the table starts playing back at you.

Paradigm
03-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Very cool. I find that it's very easy to value bet rivers as well when you have a very good hand, because people are interested in either seeing your cards or thinking their midpair is best. I rarely limp and openraise with a lot of hands, but we'll wait for PT to tell me what my flop% is.

Continuation bets, you mean, betting the flop after raising preflop? If so, then yes.

faquewdikhed
03-15-2005, 01:01 AM
I've found the aggressive advice to work well too. I don't have a huge sample, but by raising all the time, I am gaining loads of information from my opponents on each hand. It makes them quite vulnerable to some good post flop play. I am borderline maniacal with any connectors (preferrably suited), pairs, or high cards. It seems like opponents will only play back at you if they have a very good hand, especially postflop.

Paradigm
03-15-2005, 02:08 AM
What about when you get heads-up? When I have around 20X the blind, I have no problem working to double through, as pot-sized bets win the majority of pots from the villain, who is often very weak. However, when the blind increased (say, 150/300 and there is 7500 on the table, and we've got stacks of 3000 and 4500 or so) it gets a bit tougher. I agonized over calling an opponent's all in in my last game, and I eventually did with A8o, and he showed A2o so I was able to grab 1st. Although I knew he was pushing a variety of hands, I hate calling with that but since the call was so read-specific, I made it. Any thoughts for the heads-up with large blinds issue?