PDA

View Full Version : SSHE

quest
03-14-2005, 08:46 PM
I just read and reread SSHE and have a few questions to clear up.
1. How long did it take you guys to show a positive return. I mean after you read it and started to use the style did it just come to you, or did you have some swings in you BR?
2. What is the most important part of SSHE that everyone should get out of it? I understand the "outs" (for the most part) "pot odds" and "protecting your hands", but some of the other parts seem very aggresive, "weak draws" "calling the river when you are not sure you are beat" stuff like that. I guess i mean that if I have Kx suited with the top pair and the draw, that the Ace rag caller hits on the Ace on the river and my draw bust, i lose.
I dont know, i really want to beat these limit games and i have a good head about the game but these small stake players frustrate me. My first real shot at the limit and i took a 50bb bath, any suggestion would be helpful.

thanks
pquest

istewart
03-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Study "Protecting Your Hand," "Two Overpair Hands," and of course the quizzes. At least I found all of that helpful.

splashpot
03-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Just so you know, a 50bb downswing isn't a definitive sign that you are losing. My largest downswing was about 150bb. And I'm sure others have had larger.

deacsoft
03-15-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1. How long did it take you guys to show a positive return. I mean after you read it and started to use the style did it just come to you, or did you have some swings in you BR?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's going to be different for just about everyone. There are a lot of factors that would need to be put into the equation here. Such as: how much a player plays, how well a player understood the book, if the player is applying the concepts correctly, etc, etc.

quest
03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Thank you for the replys. About the 50bb downswing, yea I know it is not enough to judge SSHE style of play. It is very aggresive and i will incure big swing like i have. I did take a 100bb downswing my first shot at 2/4 limit before i read SSHE, now that hurt! I think that i am just not BR enough to take that swing with out it effecting me mentaly. I will just continue to study and learn to apply section of the book when they arise in my games, after i have built my BR sluming it in the SnG's and micros.

trying2learn
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
be careful also in mixing the s&g's with your ring play. i made the mistake of playing $10 and $20 nl s&g's intermixed with 2/4 hold 'em and the games are quite different. (i know that's an understatement, but you said you were slumming and it's easy when you're starting to make this mistake.)

deacsoft
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will just continue to study and learn to apply section of the book when they arise in my games,...

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are wise beyond your years. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jnalpak
03-16-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Study "Protecting Your Hand," "Two Overpair Hands," and of course the quizzes. At least I found all of that helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitly agree with that...been playing cards for a few years and this book has definitly brought my game up 2plus2 fold...

djhoneybear
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I would suggest not playing 2/4 until SSH is on auto-pilot for you. You will make the same mistakes at a lower limit - it just won't cost you as much. Read, study and re-read SSH. When I first got the book I read it cover to cover, then I went through it section by section until I really got it. I've read the book four times and am working on my fifth.