PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone on the Gonzaga bandwagon?

tech
03-14-2005, 05:29 PM
It appears that Gonzaga is this year's trendy team. I have seen at least five talking heads on TV picking them to go to the Final Four, and they are getting lots of action in the tournament futures.

People should have been betting them 3-4 years ago when they really were underrated. Now, they are just another 3 seed with terrible prices on the futures.

CCx
03-14-2005, 05:35 PM
tech, gonzaga is every year's trendy team

i think people are amped up because last year the zags were playing over their head with a 2 seed, and now that they have a lower seed (albeit slightly), people are back on the bandwagon - i've heard some mention them as a 'sleeper' - i didnt know that a 3 seed could be a sleeper, but ohwell

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Because they are the best team in their regional and they have very favorable matchups.

tech
03-14-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they are the best team in their regional

[/ QUOTE ]

So they will be the favorite against every team in the region?

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Prob not, but IMO they should be.

Cleveland Guy
03-14-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It appears that Gonzaga is this year's trendy team. I have seen at least five talking heads on TV picking them to go to the Final Four, and they are getting lots of action in the tournament futures.

People should have been betting them 3-4 years ago when they really were underrated. Now, they are just another 3 seed with terrible prices on the futures.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off - when the TV people make their picks, they aren't really thinking about the odds, or the EV of the situation. Just who they like.

2nd - this team is the number 3 seed in the region where they already beat the #1 seed. They have also beat a #2 seed in Oklahoma State, and a #5 Seed in Ga. Tech.

Add in a win against Montana and 2 out of 3 Vs. St. Marys and you have a team that went

6 -2 against other teams that made the tournament.

That's pretty impressive.

CCx
03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because they are the best team in their regional

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment is so far from the truth its unbelievable. Unfortunately, this cannot be proven for another week and a half.

tech
03-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Rightly or wrongly, if they play these games, Gonzaga will be a dog to Wake, Washington, Georgia Tech, and Louisville.

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rightly or wrongly, if they play these games, Gonzaga will be a dog to Wake, Washington, Georgia Tech, and Louisville.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. More money for me. They've already crushed Washington and Georgia Tech this year. So I hope one of those two come out of that half of their regional, though personally I think Louisville is not very good.

Wake can lose any game they play. I mean any game. No defense = big trouble for the Deacs. They were life and death in every tourney game they played last year, and down the stretch this year, every game they played was in doubt until the final gun.

The Zags should be about 3-1 in this regional. 8-1 is a gift.

CCx
03-14-2005, 06:27 PM
I'd love to find a way to wager against your Gonzaga to win the region pick - if you are interested and can come up with acceptable odds, please let me know.

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I've already bet them at 8-1.

tech
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree. That's why they are a #3 seed. You could make the same argument for most of the #3 seeds.

Dead
03-14-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've already bet them at 8-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did at 7.7 to 1. I'm very happy with it, for all the reasons that you enumerated above, but basically because they're an undervalued #3 seed. I would be very surprised if Gonzaga doesn't make it to St. Louis, considering that they've already beaten the Huskies, the Cowboys, and the Yellow Jackets.

pryor15
03-16-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[6 -2 against other teams that made the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

to put it in some perspective, Duke is 8-2 vs. tourney teams (including ACC tourney), Washington is 7-3, and fellow #3 seed Arizona is 5-3, according to my quick count.

seems they're in pretty good company

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[6 -2 against other teams that made the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

to put it in some perspective, Duke is 8-2 vs. tourney teams (including ACC tourney), Washington is 7-3, and fellow #3 seed Arizona is 5-3, according to my quick count.

seems they're in pretty good company

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Illinois' 13-0. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

McGahee
03-17-2005, 11:07 AM
I haven't seen anybody on ESPN pick them.
Wake and Ga Tech seem to be the trendy teams in that region.

tech
03-19-2005, 04:11 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CCx
03-19-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because they are the best team in their regional...

...Great. More money for me....

...The Zags should be about 3-1 in this regional. 8-1 is a gift.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wheels on the bandwagon have officially come off /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrackerZack
03-19-2005, 08:13 PM
the last 6 mins Gonzaga played that game might've been some of the worst basketball I've ever seen. And I'm a Syracuse fan so I see a lot of really bad offensive basketball. Just awful.

Reef
03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the last 6 mins Gonzaga played that game might've been some of the worst basketball I've ever seen. And I'm a Syracuse fan so I see a lot of really bad offensive basketball. Just awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a damn shame