PDA

View Full Version : why so much all-in?

papa_georgio
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty new to poker, and I just had a question. What is the deal with so many people going all-in all the time? In SnGs people do this so much it's irritating. It doesn't change my play all that much because I can just sit and wait for them to bust out before the first level is over. but having to fold AJ and AQ when you are the big blind certainly sucks.

citanul
03-14-2005, 05:26 PM
players going all in with no pot and small blinds are generally idiots. it can be argued that the proper strategy with AA and KK and maybe QQ at the low level sngs is to push all in just because people are dumb and will call with garbage often enough to make this play profitable.

players going all in all the time with large blinds and short stacks are usually taking money from the table.

the reason to play in that way late in the game is that the blinds you steal are very significant, and going all in increases your folding equity while not really changing much often since you are normally pot committed with any standard raise.

citanul

Scuba Chuck
03-14-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't change my play all that much because I can just sit and wait for them to bust out before the first level is over. but having to fold AJ and AQ when you are the big blind certainly sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it suck? Are you there to play cards or to win (make $$, whatever)?