PDA

View Full Version : Great baseball quote

nolanfan34
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
From today's "This Week in Quotes" from Baseball Prospectus, was this little nugget from the D-Rays.

"The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major-league level."
--Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar (St. Petersburg Times)

Yes, Chuck, if it weren't for those pesky wins and losses, you'd be a great franchise! Hilarious.

radek2166
03-14-2005, 03:55 PM
lol

bosoxfan
03-14-2005, 03:57 PM
That reminds of a quote from someone in the Tigers organization a few years ago. He said they were 2 or 3 years away from having a 5 year rebuilding plan.

liquidboss
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Why does it seem there are a lot of quotes like this surrounding baseball? I once heard Ron Fairly, the color commentator for the Mariner's, say during a game, "It's always nice when you get the first batter out because then you only need two more..." Freaking genius...

plaster8
03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From today's "This Week in Quotes" from Baseball Prospectus, was this little nugget from the D-Rays.

"The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major-league level."
--Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar (St. Petersburg Times)

Yes, Chuck, if it weren't for those pesky wins and losses, you'd be a great franchise! Hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right up there with Nuke LaLoosh: "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes ... it rains. Now think about that."

James282
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That reminds of a quote from someone in the Tigers organization a few years ago. He said they were 2 or 3 years away from having a 5 year rebuilding plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the way they are shaping up, he may just be right!

Great quote btw nolanfan.
-James

morgan180
03-14-2005, 04:54 PM
My all time favorite by Ralph Kiner, NY Mets announcer in the middle of an inning...

"Its fathers day today, so happy birthday to all those fathers out there."

That quote still amazes me and it has to be at least 10 years old.

someguy2
03-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Some of the dumbest things I've heard from Jim Tracy:

"Offensively, we did a lot of hitting."

"If we get beat, it's because the opposition went out and beat us."

"When he throws over the plate, he really has a chance to succeed."

"I know it's early in spring training but I'm sure the team will start to hit the ball again, it's the laws of physics."

"We didn't fail. We just didn't succeed as much as we'd have liked."

SuitedSixes
03-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Harry Caray, (as told by Mark Grace) while watching a loving couple kiss after every pitch, "He kisses her on the strikes, she kisses him on the balls."

nolanfan34
03-14-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My all time favorite by Ralph Kiner, NY Mets announcer in the middle of an inning...

"Its fathers day today, so happy birthday to all those fathers out there."

That quote still amazes me and it has to be at least 10 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. Kiner is like the old timer quote version of Scottie Pippen to Yogi Berra's Michael Jordan. So many great quotes, overshadowed by someone else in the same city. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

youtalkfunny
03-15-2005, 12:58 AM
"I've won at every level, except college and pro."

--Shaquille O'Neal

(He has since remedied most of that.)

Phat Mack
03-15-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Harry Caray, (as told by Mark Grace) while watching a loving couple kiss after every pitch, "He kisses her on the strikes, she kisses him on the balls."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's from an old Butch Hancock song.

Justin A
03-15-2005, 02:56 AM
That's awesome. It's all those results oriented thinkers that are dragging down the Devil Rays.

MicroBob
03-15-2005, 03:15 AM
I guess he's referring to the development of players within their farm-system.

But I would also think that other little, pesky issues involving this organization would include virtually NO fans and a really terrible stadium with a pretty bad location.
I would also toss in the facts that they have god-awful ugly-ass uniforms and a stupid team name.