PDA

View Full Version : making the transition from limit sng's to nl

poindexter
03-14-2005, 01:44 PM
I am currently trying to make the transition from the $200 limit game to the $200 nl sng's. I love the limit game but all the waiting is –ev. Overall the limit sng strategy is the same as nl but there are certain rules/plays in NL that scream stay out or come over the top. Its getting costly leaning this by trial and error. These rules exist in limit as well and I will list some examples below

Limit rules/plays:

1) Recently a poster mistakenly signed up for a step 5 limit game. Later in the game level 3-4-5 He was in BB with rags and was limped into by button and sb. He proceeded to flop bottom 2 pair and decided to Check raise the flop. This play knocked out 1 villian but gave the other one incentive to chase after the pot. Villian caught and knocked hero out. This would undoubtedly be the proper play in NL. However, the proper play here in limit is to lead out of BB with a bet. This bet screams with 90%+ certainty that you hold top pair or have 2 pairs when leading out of BB. Any thinking player will fold to your bet here without TP or better. the goal in limit is to take the pot down immediately. This is especially important in later rounds. Building a pot is counterproductive to this goal

2) Slowplaying AA is almost always incorrect. The only exception is in later rounds at a super tight table like a step 5.

3) Table image is everything in limit it will allow for bluffs when they really matter and it will increase fold equity.

4) Small pocket pairs have way less value in limit then NL. Due to the fact they are very hard to play post flop

Some examples I have noticed in the NL game are listed below:

1) utg limper leads out at a semi full table I reraise in bb with a hand like QQ... he reraises all in. This screams slowplayed AA and I should fold here. On the other hand if UTG had a big stack his limp could mean slowplaying or he could be looking for a cheap blind steal in later rounds.

2) UTG short stack is facing a BB in the next round of betting that is around 1/2 of his stack or more. He raises. This screams weak hand Axo or Kxs etc. This play is the same in limit

3) do not try to steal with a bet less then all-in from big stack in bubble situations with a vulnerable 2nd or 3rd place stack size.

Please add any other rules or obvious plays.

Also if there is any sucessful nl $100 sng or higher who would like to learn more about limit by exchanging hand histories along with explanations behind key concepts pm me. I have multiple limit $200’s and some step 5’s (12 for 19 ITM) available.