PDA

View Full Version : A tough spot - deep stacked 2-5 NL

krammatrix
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Probably should be in small stakes, but here i go anyways. Villain in this hand is a very loose and tricky player who bluffs way too much and isn't good. He had about 300 in front of him, everyone i had about 600 and everyone else had about that much. Everyone limped to me on the button, I limped with 5s7s, sb completes bb checks. Flop came 5 7 8 rainbow. EP bets 20, mp calls, villain raises to 120. I didn't think that he would have made that bet with a straight or a set, but put him on a pair/draw type hand. I raised to 300. Comments?

pologuy64
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
I really dont like this play at all. If i read your post right this is a family pot were the whole table limped. Rule of Thumb: Never go broke in a unraised pot.
You are faced wit a raise and a reraise. i think this is a easy fold. you hand my be good some times but you two pair is not good enough in that spot to play a huge pot wit. The str8 is very likely or even a set.

iceman5
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I think I fold also. Heads up is one thing, but against a bet and raise, I dont like bottom 2 pair that much.

PoBoy321
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
With the bet and reraise from the bad player, I think that the reraise is necessary. The bet from UTG could mean overpair, and of course, from the bad player, the raise could mean anything. The only other good option here would be to flat call and wait for UTG's reaction to the bad player's raise.

BluffTHIS!
03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really dont like this play at all. If i read your post right this is a family pot were the whole table limped. Rule of Thumb: Never go broke in a unraised pot.
You are faced wit a raise and a reraise. i think this is a easy fold. you hand my be good some times but you two pair is not good enough in that spot to play a huge pot wit. The str8 is very likely or even a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct advice in all respects. Even if you were to have the loose player beat, by playing the way you did you will often have allowed him to run you into the nuts.

krammatrix
03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, i figured that it was probably a fold after some thought. THe initial bettor folded and villain called with 86, for top pair and an OESD. He made his straight and took it down. I feel like too often at the table when i feel like i have an edge i have to push it. I was going to fold, i only had $5 invested in the pot, but i just thought that I had the best hand, and so I should push. I realized later that since i knew I could beat the table, I should have just waited till i knew i was ahead more certainly. 1 more question: what if i held top 2 pair or top and bottom pair, would it have been a call in either of those instances? Thanks for all the comments.

kagame
03-16-2005, 01:32 AM
you could have theoretically have negative money invested in a hand and still make the right play by pushing it in with a small edge...just a thought.

RainFall
03-18-2005, 09:05 AM
I had a hand like this in tahoe 3/5 500 NL buyin.. Flop was Q98 bb bet out, c/o raised.. i had 98 on the button. I folded.. made a weak fold i thought but good to see this thread back me up. BB said he folded Q2 and c/o shows JJ lol...