PDA

View Full Version : Is This bad MTT poker?

pologuy64
03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
This situation comes up alot. this is a play that i like to do but sumtimes i get caught(works about 3.5 out of 5 times)
if im in late middle position or late position. late in tourneys and i finding myself below avg. but not always done(5k avg. being 8k) wit big blinds and its folded around to me. at times i will risk 3/4 to all my chips wit any two cards to steal the blinds. note that the blind are always high and there r atnes in the middle also. Should i use this play to steal? if not how do i reframe from just blinding all my chips away if im card dead?

pologuy64
03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
this is a big leak in my MTT play. Can sum1 please explain with great details.

Sam T.
03-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Try revising your original post for clarity, or posting specific hands. I read it twice, and still have no idea what you are asking. (I'm also a fan of proper grammar and spelling, but that's just me, and I'm old.)

My two cents,

Sam

Soul Daddy
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
You have to be willing to make this play, you just need to pick good spots. Average stack is not nearly as important as your stack's size compared to the blinds, the stacks of those yet to act, and their willingness to gambool.

3/4 of your stack? Why? I can't see that ever being a good play. There are still opportunities to steal with a smallish stack, but you have to use it all.

edfilan
03-14-2005, 01:24 PM
After the first few rounds of any tourney, steals become extremely important to your success. With a big stack, I'm stealing with almost anything from the right spots (MP-LP with a tight-weak BB), as I approach 10x the BB, I'm more selective about my opening cards. At 10x or less, I'm in push/fold territory. Between 10x and 5x, I'm extremely selective with my hand and the spot. I want to be fairly sure that when I push all my chips in, I want to be in with the best of it. At about 5x, I reach an inflection point where I can no longer wait for the optimum spot. I have to find someplace where I could use what's left of my folding equity or get lucky on the board.

-ed.

pologuy64
03-14-2005, 01:34 PM
thxs ed. that helped alot. im going to use the *x rule of thumbs you pointed out.

nortonmalc
03-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Unless you have a rock solid read on your opponents, I would at least modify your "any two cards" to something that at least has a chance to develop into a hand. For example, A 9-3 off doesn't leave you much unless you happen upon two pair or a set, but 5-8 suited at least gives you a little more opportunity to fill a funky straight or a small flush.

pologuy64
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
if i feel that the bb is a weak-tight player, i like making this move. When i go on to win the tourney or make it far into the money im a hero. but when it doesnt work, its a bad play and everyone ask what am i doing. Wit huge blinds, i never feel comfortable. what if im near 10x the big blinds and i cant find anything close to playable? wat do i do, how do i get chips?

edfilan
03-14-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...what if im near 10x the big blinds and i cant find anything close to playable? wat do i do, how do i get chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone always talks about how this game is about the player and not about the cards, but when it gets right down to it you need to get a hand at some point. Just be patient and wait for the right spot. Don't start to panic until you're less than 5xBB.

03-14-2005, 02:07 PM
There are a quite a few excellent posts of eMarkM and I think Lloyd also on this and other related subjects. Maybe you can do a search or one the posters can give you the link. Sorry, I don't know how to do that. /images/graemlins/blush.gif