PDA

View Full Version : Made non-nut straight on the turn

PDosterM
03-14-2005, 12:18 PM
This hand is from a $10-$20, brick and mortar game. This cardroom caps the betting after a bet and three raises. Player A is weak, entering far too many pots and playing with only moderate skill during the hand. Player B enters a few too many pots, but his play from the flop on is generally to be respected.

I have 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the big blind. Two early players, Player A, and Player B all limp. There is $50 in the pot and five players.

The flop is J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif giving me a double gut-shot straight draw. I check. The early players check. Player A bets; Player B calls; I call and the early players fold. There is $80 in the pot and three players.

The turn is 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif giving me a 9 high straight. I bet. Player A raises. Player B reraises. There is $200 in the pot and it’s $40 more to me with action still pending on my left.

What would you do here and why?

TStoneMBD
03-14-2005, 12:58 PM
cap, because i said so.

nuclear500
03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
You were either crushed to begin with or you now have the best hand.

You played to catch a straight...if you think you were dominated to begin with you should have folded. You have to at least check/call to the river if you don't think you're dominated.

You may have the best hand.

Me? I'd check/call, if I lost I lost, but with me holding one of the 9's its less likely, but not out of the question.

PDosterM
03-16-2005, 04:09 PM
As it turns out, both suggestions worked better than my play.

Based on previous play, I didn't think player B would three-bet without the nuts. If he had 9-10, I was playing to three outs for a tie with the prospect of getting four-bet by Player A. There would be additional betting on the river, so I might be paying another $100 or so to see this to the end. Even if my straight was good, the board pairing could also signal trouble. With only $30 in so far ($40 if you count the blind), I elected to fold.

The river was 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, pairing the board. Player A bets and Player B calls. Player A showed 76o for two pair on the turn and a counterfeited two pair on the river. (I can't explain his river bet.) Player B shows 45 suited for the lowest straight.

What I learned:

I generally ask three questions - What do I have? What does my opponent have? What does my opponent think I have? But here's what I forgot to ask: What does my opponent think my other opponent has?

Player B, under normal circumstances, would not three-bet without the nuts. But Player B knows Player A gets way out of line, so his three-bet was against him, not me. If player A had been a solid player, I think my fold would have been OK, but not considering Player B's view of Player A cost me the pot.

Live and learn.