PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 variance check

kylma
03-14-2005, 08:02 AM
I had the best winning day of my poker yesterday and the worst losing day today.
+$1000 yesterday and -$600 today.
471 hands at PLO8 200 and 1234 hands at PLO8 100.
Did I just experience some super high variance, or is this still normal?

Overall doing good with PLO8 +15 PTBB's per 100 hands over a few thousand hands (since PTO came alive). VPIP about 20% and I play aggressive when I have a hand, only drawing to potential scooping/quartering hands..

Since this has been emotionally a rollarcoaster I'd like to have someone comment about the variance.

1. Were the 2 day swings normal or (much) higher than normal?
2. Bankroll recommendation for PLO8? 30 buyins?
3. Would you lose some (or a lot of) profit if you basically never bluffed in PLO8? (Unless very rarely against very good opponents who are able of folding)

kylma
03-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Hmm actually it's just the fact that I played at 200 which hasn't been the case earlier.. Happened to win yesterday, lose today. Big deal. Seems pretty normal it's only a few buyins after all .

It's just the surprise effect when you have just movep up in stakes.. Still, of course, please comment about the variance of PLO8. I play with numbers myself, if you can come up with any numerical SD, even better. SD looks quite a lot higher than in NL holdem, but I don't have yet enough hands in Pokertracker so that the SD would have been stabilised around a certain level.

beset7
03-14-2005, 04:19 PM
That is average, and perhaps BELOW average, variance for plo/8.

plo (high or 8/b) has way more variance then no limit hold em. Going down 10 buyins during a session is not that unusual (not everyday of course, but it'll happen). I'd say you should have atleast 30 but more like 50 buyins for whatever limit you are playing. my $0.02.