PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Book Recommendation...

Go Blue
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Sorry, I know there posts are redundant and boring, but I would like some quick advice here. I don't just need any book, but something on lower stakes limit hold'em. Here's the thing, I've played poker for a while, mostly limit, and I do win, but I can't do it consistantly I feel. So I decided to start being serious about this and get poker tracker, analyze hands, ask for advice more often, etc. But I would also like to read a book or two that would help me improve my game. I have read parts of books here and there but nothing REALLY thoroughly. I also dont' want a book on beginner hold'em because I think that I'd know everything that would be said in there. So given this, is there something out there you guys can recommend that is limit, low stakes, and non-beginner? Thanks a lot.

Michael Davis
03-14-2005, 04:30 AM
Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller

-Michael

Go Blue
03-14-2005, 04:35 AM
That's not a book for complete beginners though, right?

Niediam
03-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Not at all. In fact, a complete beginner would probably become completely lost by starting out with SSH. I have read the book atleast tweleve times so far and I pick up something new with each read...

Go Green! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TripleH68
03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also dont' want a book on beginner hold'em because I think that I'd know everything that would be said in there. So given this, is there something out there you guys can recommend that is limit, low stakes, and non-beginner? Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you start with WINNING LOW LIMIT HOLD'EM by Lee Jones. If you want to skip this book...

HOLD'EM POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS
THE THEORY OF POKER

jojobinks
03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also dont' want a book on beginner hold'em because I think that I'd know everything that would be said in there. So given this, is there something out there you guys can recommend that is limit, low stakes, and non-beginner? Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you start with WINNING LOW LIMIT HOLD'EM by Lee Jones. If you want to skip this book...

THE THEORY OF POKER

[/ QUOTE ]

wllh is for beginners. you don't want that.
hepfap is for advanced players. you don't want that.

TOP is good, in conjunction with a book about practice. for a book about practice, what you'll want to go with is, as suggested earlier, SSHE, by Ed Miller.

Go Blue
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I've read Theory of Poker so based on what you guys said and the book descriptions, I think I will go with the Ed Miller book and the Hold'em for Advanced Players one.

hagel666
03-14-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

THE THEORY OF POKER

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Lee Jones book is the easiest book to learn the game AND make you a winner att lower limits if you follow his guidlines. Of course when you know the game SSH is better.

See my post here on a pretty good way to start playing Hold'em:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1911069&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

Good luck!
/Hagel.

FrankLu99
03-14-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

HOW TO EAT FRIED WORMS
THE THEORY OF POKER

[/ QUOTE ]