PDA

View Full Version : Since there are so many physics guys up right now.......

wacki
03-14-2005, 02:56 AM
Please explain this to me.

I recently attended a seminar on laser cooling/fountain clocks.

Question #1) How do you get sodium or cesium (which are both solids at room temperature) to be a gas at 1 nano Kelvin.

Question #2) Bose-Einstein condensation, what is this super atom? Did all of the nuclei become one? I did some googling, but couldn't find a clear answer.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-14-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Question #1) How do you get sodium or cesium (which are both solids at room temperature) to be a gas at 1 nano Kelvin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering that.

Thythe
03-14-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm no physics expert but did some searching and found various interesting stuff on these topics. No mention of the actual answers you seek, though.

nothumb
03-14-2005, 03:38 AM
1. Obviously you need to compress the Kelvin quotient to compensate for the density of a sodium atom and multiply the exponential doohickey by the quotient of mass versus the number of electrons in the third ring of my Prince Albert.

2. Suck my dick.

NT

ClaytonN
03-14-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this is a great place to find chicks.

wacki
03-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Hey, you should check out the faucet thread. My question is very innocent compared to that one.

wacki
03-14-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear this is a great place to find chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you mention it, I actually did find one there. She was serving the wine. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And no, I'm not kidding. She has a degree in graphic design and can't find a job /images/graemlins/frown.gif, so I told her not to worry and I would take care of her. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
03-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Oh, man.... Hahaha /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually considered the irony if you actually picking up a chick there. Oh, the hilarity /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
03-14-2005, 03:49 AM
I gotta ask though, what was your pick up line

"Ma'am, I have a laser that needs cooling" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
03-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Clearly, you need to call her 'miss' not 'ma'am' .... N00B!

NT

wacki
03-14-2005, 03:59 AM
lol..

No line to tell you the truth. It was at the reception where the food/wine is. I was holding a plate and she asked me if I needed anything. I don't even remember how the conversation got started but next thing you know I've downed 7 glasses of wine and she's telling me I have to stop by to see her. The conversation just flowed amazingly well. I normally go for blondes/redheads, and there is someone else I have a thing for right now, but she was so cute I would have to be a moron not to follow up on this one.

ClaytonN
03-14-2005, 04:02 AM
You clearly misassociate proper grammar with Atlanta grammar

omG u aer TeH nooB!!~!~!

nothumb
03-14-2005, 04:04 AM
No, this has nothing to do with grammar, you don't call a chick your own age to whom you wish to lay the pipe "ma'am." I call anyone under 40 "Miss" when I'm down there, sometimes older if I want to suck up.

NT

InchoateHand
03-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Really? All the chicks I hit on are "ma'am," "Mrs." if I'm feeling polite.

nothumb
03-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Sounds like a personal problem.

NT

InchoateHand
03-14-2005, 04:39 AM
straight. <font color="white"> PIGFUCKER </font>

J.A.Sucker
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
http://jilawww.colorado.edu/~jin/introduction.html

wacki
03-14-2005, 06:51 PM
So basically dilute gases don't condense no matter how cold they get?

The link you posted didn't really address question one.

Matt Flynn
03-14-2005, 06:54 PM
this is intuitively obvious.

J.A.Sucker
03-14-2005, 08:58 PM
My understanding of BEC's is that they do the following:

You take a gas at room temperature and hold it in place (in a vacuum chamber). Then, you "lower" the temperature by actually applying magnetic fields to prevent the gas molecules from running around too much. Since they have less thermal motion, their effective temperature is much lower. The final bit is done with laser traps, I think. In the end, you're left with a few atoms in the bottom of the well in the trap, and they don't diffuse around at all. Thus, they are at "zero" temperature. This is probably slightly incorrect, so now I have to go read the paper.

wacki
03-14-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The final bit is done with laser traps, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, laser cooling comes first. Atoms absorb light and slow down due to doppler effect of the light and the specificity of the atoms absorption spectrum. The atoms are excited but moving slowly. The atoms then give off a photon and there is recoil so the atoms move in a different direction. They bounce around in laser cooling. The magnetic trap comes second and the higher energy atoms are slowly bled off. What happens next is a new and strange type of matter forms. It is this material I am interested in.

Also, the laser cooling doesn't work unless if the material is a gas. Getting cesium to be a gas at room temperature isn't easy, so how do you do it at the uber cold temperatures?

The cooling process is pretty basic and I understand it completely. It's just the sodium gas and the new and strange form of matter that I don't get.

wacki
04-05-2005, 10:26 PM
bumping for JASucker

since he is up right now.

[censored]
04-05-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please explain this to me.

Question #2) Bose-Einstein condensation, what is this super atom? Did all of the nuclei become one? I did some googling, but couldn't find a clear answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jigga-wha?

Orpheus
04-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I think the simplest answer is to remember that many or most solids have a vapor pressure, albeit a very low one.