PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Strategy for Stars WSOP Double Shootout Satellites

minwoo
03-14-2005, 01:35 AM
To win a seat, you must play two 9-handed tables and win 1st in both. You are "in the money" once you conquer your first table. At the second table, 1st gets a seat, 2nd - 8th get a buy-in refund and 9th get some cash less than the buy-in amount.

What are the differences in strategy that must be used in beating these satellites? In normal SNGs that pay top 3, the correct strategy usually is to play tight early and then aggressive late when blinds are significant. However in the shootouts you MUST place 1st (especially at the first table, where anything below first receives nothing).

Utilize the same SNG strategy or take some gambles early to build your stack? Anyone who has already won one of these shootouts care to give some input?

schulterg
03-14-2005, 04:10 AM
I am waiting for a final table to start as I write, so any feedback to the question would be appreciated. If not, I guess I will live and learn

Chaos81
03-14-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am waiting for a final table to start as I write, so any feedback to the question would be appreciated. If not, I guess I will live and learn

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your PS name? bigshulte I imagine? I'll be watching. Can't chat as I need to reload, but I'll be watching.

minwoo
03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
bump

Awesemo
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
the optimal strategy is just to make +chip ev moves. Each chip is worth the same in this format.

MercTec
03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
and table selection doesnt hurt either....first one i tired i had Fossilman and twin-caracas at my table. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

BamaGambler
03-14-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the optimal strategy is just to make +chip ev moves. Each chip is worth the same in this format.

[/ QUOTE ]This statement is not true.

For example, assume you have 5,000 in chips and somebody moves in for 750. Now assume you have 750 in chips and someone moves in for 750. All else equal, are these the same decision? No, b/c the 750 in chips are more valuable to you in the second situation.

yecul
03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Suggestions for getting past the first level? I have never tried a tourney with this structure before. Seems that there will be a mix of good players with randoms who backed into a satellite or whatever (ie, me).

What's a good comp for the level of competition for the first and second table?