PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Strategy for Stars WSOP Double Shootout Satellites

minwoo
03-14-2005, 01:34 AM
To win a seat, you must play two 9-handed tables and win 1st in both. You are "in the money" once you conquer your first table. At the second table, 1st gets a seat, 2nd - 8th get a buy-in refund and 9th get some cash less than the buy-in amount.

What are the differences in strategy that must be used in beating these satellites? In normal SNGs that pay top 3, the correct strategy usually is to play tight early and then aggressive late when blinds are significant. However in the shootouts you MUST place 1st (especially at the first table, where anything below first receives nothing).

Utilize the same SNG strategy or take some gambles early to build your stack? Anyone who has already won one of these shootouts care to give some input?

minwoo
03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
bump!

david050173
03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
In the first round. I would expect more gambling late rather than early. I would be more aggressive at calling potential blind steals (or coming over the top) and at stealing. I wouldn't want to end up heads up down down 10-1.

For example assume 4 stacks each of 2K. All 3 stacks in front of you go all in. You look down and see QQ. Normally I would think about folding this. Here I am probably calling and hoping to see AK, AQ, and JJ.

I am not sure about the value proposition of these type of satellites. The only reason I can think of them being a good investment is if the players are significantly worse than what you would expect in a 1000 sng. That could be very true with all the qualifing tournaments.

spentrent
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Nice thread! I'm considering playing a ton of the double shootout qualifiers.