PDA

View Full Version : minraises with antes

AtticusFinch
03-14-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm wondering if I should loosen up on the BB against minraises when there are antes in the pot. For example, tonight I was dealt Q3s in the bb, and got minraised from MP2. Adding up his bet, the blinds, and antes, I was getting about 4.25/1 to call. Those are some seriously attractive odds. I had 20 bb in my stack, so looking at the flop wouldn't hurt too bad. Still, I mucked.

The trouble here is how to play it after the flop. What kind of hand am I looking for? I can't be too happy about a queen or a flush draw. I really need something like two-pair, trips, or a made flush to feel confident.

Advice?

schwza
03-14-2005, 03:43 PM
i can give you the generic advice that antes should make stealing blinds and defending your blinds more appealing.

i would have considered calling the min raise and then betting any non-A, non-monotone flop, but i probably would have just mucked it.

i would just feel too crappy posting my bust hand on 2+2 and starting out "i call a raise with Q3s."

sloth469
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Barring some read that raiser only min-raises with aa or kk I call every time. I also lead out for half the pot on most flops I catch a piece of. You find out very quickly where you are.

adanthar
03-14-2005, 05:02 PM
The problem is that at this site a minraise *is* specifically AA-QQ a lot. I can't count how many times I've called with a low pocket and doubled up off it, but it makes these plays risky.

My answer in this spot, FWIW, is that with deep stacks in that midgame (that means more like 30 BB apiece, not 20) I still fold Q3s but I'm far more willing to call anything suited/connected I'd limp in from LP with in levels 1 and 2 (Axs, Q9s, 76s, any pair, two Broadway) and reraise pretty light/fold to a 3 bet.

If I see a minraise from the same player more than once all of this goes out the window.