PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Under The Pool Table

Jimbo
09-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Although I haven't been in over a decade some of the best action of the year could be found at the annual BCA amateur championships. It is often held in Las Vegas but moves around the continental US. In 85 or 86 it was held in Denver, Co. and I made the trek with 2 friends in a private plane (the only way to fly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ).

All the side action took place in the evenings and night after the days matches had been concluded. About halfway through the week near midnight I was matched up against this kid from Kentucky playing 8 ball. I had won 10 in a row when he asked to switch to bank pool. Aha, I thought, from the frying pan into the fire. Well that night I learned that a man from Kentucky who could not pocket three balls in a row in 8 ball could run 5 and out in a nine ball rack of bank pool.

As I was trying to extricate myself from this predicament I saw Donnie Folks asleep under a bar table near ours. Guess he had been there for sometime but had just begun to snore. Now Donnie had a bit of a drinking problem but that was part of his charm. He could drink many people under the table and still shoot lights out, looks like this time he drank himself under. I told the Kentucky Kid that although I could not fade any more of his bank pool action I would back the drunk under the table since he could do no worse than me. Well we tripled the stakes, I woke Donnie up and he agreed to play for half the action and all the Budweiser he could drink. I had to raise the game stakes to afford this but Kentucky Kid readily agreed enjoying this set of circumstances even better, temporarily that is.

When the dust cleared at dawn Donnie had finished off a case of Bud and Kentuckys' bankroll. The kid just shook his head and said " I should have let that sleeping dog lie". Perhaps you had to be there but it was a priceless moment! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

HDPM
09-30-2002, 04:05 PM
You sure it wasn't later than '86? I was hanging at a BCA in Denver in maybe '89 or so. Did they have more in Denver? It was at that hotel by the airport the year I was hanging around. Did you match up with any Denver players? Sounds like you could handle any of them with the possible exception of Medina, but it sounds like you could handle him fine too. I entered on of those little side tournaments they had. They called my match in the first round where I drew Dick Lane. D'oh. He found action and forfeited so I advanced into the second round. I lost immediately of course, but I did get a turn at least. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

It was there where a friend of mine uttered a great quote concerning beer. We played at a Denver (Aurora actually) pool hall owned by a pretty decent player. He hooked up with some guy from Texas and had way the best of it. My friend was asked by one of the Texans friends if he wanted to make a bet on the side. This was at 3:30 am or so. My friend moaned, "Yeah, but I spent all my money on beeeeeeer." Hadda be there for the delivery, but he correctly saw his lost financial opportunity.

Jimbo
09-30-2002, 04:11 PM
HDPM,

You are probably more correct on the year than I. There was a low ceiling the day we were due to depart so I took a commercial flight back and my friends stayed an extra 2 days due to the extreme weather conditions. I was not quite in Medinas class except perhaps on a bar table. I played Garcia from Colorado Springs that trip but my modus operandi was to avoid the "name" players and beat all the amateur hotshots. After all when hustling it is better to win in your sleep than lose sleep over not winning. Hey I like this quote so much I may trademark it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

HDPM
09-30-2002, 06:45 PM
You ever run into a guy in Denver named Pick? He would back some people and would play in his day. He could set the odds on a match real accurately. I never knew him until he was very old and decrepit. I didn't know him really then, but I heard there could be some interesting stories about him. I played him in a little 3-cushion tournament one time when he was decrepit. I was going along and ran 4 or 5 in a short match, which was unbelievable given how bad I play. I left an opening and he had a lucid moment, ran 8 or 9 without taking the cigarette out of his mouth, and left all the balls frozen to rails when he missed. Not bad for a 300 year old with Alzheimers and emphysema. If you ever ran across him you probably have a story.

10-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Jimbo, love the pool stories. I think I know a few of the 15 year olds you're talking about. If you're ever in the Chicago area, there's a place in Downers Grove called The Green Room. If you're there on the right nights, Tuesday especially, you can find some good action.

Gavin(Who doesn't play like a champ, but gets the right games!!)

Jimbo
10-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Gavin,

Thanks for your kind words however if I ever find myself in chicago I will need to get my Sat/Nav system repaired. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Your statement about getting the right games is what playing pool is all about in a nutshell. Over my career I beat many players with more skill than I. My secret was how to match up, it is so easy when you are relaxed and they are in a hurry. In the 80's I had a standing offer to anyone in the world who would give me the 8 and the break on a bar table for $1000 sets. I won over $30 grand in that period playing all comers. The only person to ever beat me with that spot was David Matlock, probably the best bar table player in the world bar none.

Jimbo