PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8 Theory Questions

Tiltaniac
03-14-2005, 01:02 AM
I just looked through Mark and Lou's Omaha 8 book and had some questions because their playing style looked loose.

For low limit which of the following is/are correct?

A. Play any A2XX regardless of position

B. Play A3s XX regardless of position

C. Raise with QJTT double suited in late position with many limpers.

D. Play A347 unsuited in late position.

B Mando
03-14-2005, 01:20 AM
A. Yes!
B. Depends on how aggresive the game is. I am usually playing it though...I played like 400 hands today and I folded A3 once preflop that had nothing going with it.
C. I never do this...I dont see the value in this...
D. Given that you arent calling 4 bets cold or something I am playing it in late position and early position.

03-14-2005, 01:30 AM
A. Yes almost always.
B. Don't agree.
C. Don't agree.
D. Agree.

IronDragon1
03-14-2005, 02:15 AM
1) Yeah
2) No. Side cards are a biggie here
3) Never
4) Sure

lighterjobs
03-14-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A. Yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? I think this is the worst thing a person can do. I lay down A2xx a lot at lower limits (5/10) if it is ugly (ie: A28J) if there are a lot of limpers in front of me or say three bets in front of me and I am in the blind.

chaos
03-14-2005, 09:14 AM
It depends on the game. I think their recommendations are for loose low limit games.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Sure for a single bet. But if there are raises or reraises XX becomes important because of the chance the raiser has A2 also.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Sure for a single bet. If there are raises you have to consider the possibility the raiser has A2. Still I would most likely see a flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn’t raise for value. You are only going to get a flop with two or three high cards about 1 out of 4 times. Some of those high flops you will not win. Making a set of Tens is not that strong, nor is a Jack high flush. I prefer to keep it cheap until I see the flop. You may want to raise with some of your better high hands for deception. That way your opponents can not put you on AA or A2 when you raise. If your hand was KKQJ ds or KQQJ ds it would be easier to make an argument for raising.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes for a single bet.

03-14-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A. Yes almost always.
B. Don't agree.
C. Don't agree.
D. Agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading the subsequent responses, I ought to clarify mine. I am assuming the question asks would you play A-2-X-X for one bet, any position. You can't really give an answer to "A" without considering (a) raises, (b) reads, (c) table position [understanding that the question is whether you would play it from any position], and (d) number of other callers. In general, I would play A-2-X-X from any position for one bet. For a raise? Depends where I'm sitting, who the raiser is, how many other callers there are, and the likelihood of a re-raise. I also might toss it if I'm the button and there has been only one caller, and I am pretty confident I don't have a reasonable chance at a high. Why throw $ into a small pot for a shot at half?

Phat Mack
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would depend on many things, not the least of which is what "xx" stands for. As other posters have mentioned, they may be playable for a single bet. My problem is that I may give the impression that: a) you can play a hand with only two good cards, and; b) you can play for half the pot. These are both dangerous assumptions, and, although it may possible to break even or turn a small profit in some games playing this way, they are very bad habits to get into.

With A2xx, it's the 'xx' I'm trying to hit, and the A2 is there for backup. Its hard to know how hitable 'xx' is.

With A3s xx, at least I know I've got a nut flush draw, along with my old buddie 'xx', so I know what I'm trying to flop. For that reason I like this hand a little better.

I guess I'm trying to point out two things here: A2xx is a makebelieve hand, and A2xx becomes a sucker hand as you move up in stakes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed here before. I like this play, when it won't drive anyone out, because it will add variety to my pool of raising hands, and because I tend to raise a lot from late position.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. No suits is a minus, but it offers dink protection and when this hand hits a little sumthin' both ways, it offers the prospect of a big payoff. Not a hand to fall in love with when there's a lot of pressure, or when the board doesn't hit it really well.

B Mando
03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lay down A2xx a lot at lower limits (5/10) if it is ugly (ie: A28J) if there are a lot of limpers in front of me or say three bets in front of me and I am in the blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lay this hand down a lot...you are losing a lot of money. I could definitly understand folding it for 3 bets for something though...but I am playing any hand with A2 99% of the time...if you arent, your losing money in the low limit games.

arcticfire
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just looked through Mark and Lou's Omaha 8 book and had some questions because their playing style looked loose.

For low limit which of the following is/are correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

A: Absolutly , I call early and raise late ,( 3 bet or call a riase dependent on # of people in the pot the XX etc).

B:A3sXX again certainly , likly to fold to a 3 or 4 bet in front of me thow.

C:I think this will get you in trouble more then anything. QJTT is gonna be very hard to hold onto or bet with , with most any flop except a few that it's prime on. I could understand the mentality with say AAKQ , AKKQ or the like , but QJTT is just to weak imo.

D: For 1 bet sure , or with a lot of others in the pot. But since the hand is despretly needed a 2 on the flop it's not something I'd chase a riase and only say 3 people in for.

How literly I think these can be taken depends totally on how loose the table your at is.

djr
03-15-2005, 05:11 PM
A. always in low limit with no raising. I'd still call if I'm in late position with a raise and 4+ limpers. If you flop only a low, you must be careful since theres a reasonable chance of being quartered. But, with 4+ opponnents even being quartered can be profitable.

B. I used to, but have started tightening up. It needs at least one other thing going for it in early/mid position (another wheel card, suited ace, 2 broadways, etc). In late position it's usually worth a limp regardless of xx so long as you know how to dump a bad flop.

C. almost never. If it's a family pot, I *might* toss a raise in hoping that this is the one I hit my quads. But I see this as being too dangerous a move in general.

D. almost always. If you flop the deuce you have nice counterfiet protection and can push your hand. If the flop is deuceless, it's easy to dump since you're probably not hitting a high hand with this.