PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Sandberg in the house?

TheWorstPlayer
03-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Story in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/14/education/14gamble.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=108219e11b4b f224&ex=1111381200)

First of all, 'Go Tigers'. Second of all, who thinks gambling is destroying our youth and who thinks gambling rocks and is a good way to make a living? Also, who thinks that, as the article states
[ QUOTE ]

'Gambling is a game of chance,' Mr. Whyte said. 'Some people can make a living doing it, but even in the long run, most people regress to the mean and wind up with zero or close to it.'

[/ QUOTE ]

(Basically, I think the fact that college kids can make a good living playing poker is really cool and this guy at the end of article is an idiot who obviously can't beat Party 2/4. But curious what you guys think.)

edtost
03-14-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Princeton, for its part, has no explicit rules about gambling on campus, and has not taken steps to address it. "This is something we, the administration, need to sit down and decide if there should be a uniform policy about it," said Hilary Herbold, the associate dean in charge of disciplinary action at the university. She noted the formal policies devised amid concerns about file-sharing of copyrighted music in recent years.

Mrs. Herbold said problem gamblers were being dealt with case by case. The administration has broken up regular group games held in Princeton's eating clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

judging by the manner in which one particular game i know of was broken up, i would expect any policy this administration enacts to be horrible for poker players. i would not be surprised if they started packet sniffing at some point in the near future to punish online poker players.

TheWorstPlayer
03-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I agree. Given the problems with underage drinking 'on campus', illegal file sharing, nude olympics, etc. and their 'solutions' I would expect more draconian measures from the administration/township. Soon they'll have undercover cops raiding the computer clusters in the eating clubs.

Luv2DriveTT
03-14-2005, 01:27 AM
tell us the story Ed... how was that game broken up? I have a strange facination with the legal process (considering I am not a lawyer), I'd greatly appreciate it.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

edtost
03-14-2005, 01:31 AM
we'll have "story time" the next time i see you in person - what happened was behind closed doors and i wasn't there at the time, so i wouldn't feel right posting it on the boards.

scrub
03-14-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we'll have "story time" the next time i see you in person - what happened was behind closed doors and i wasn't there at the time, so i wouldn't feel right posting it on the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably covers the part that TT was interested in. (http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/03/11/arts/9908.shtml)

scrub

ttleistdci
03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably covers the part that TT was interested in. (http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2004/03/11/arts/9908.shtml)

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

From the article:
"They don't gamble; they grind it out. Their goal is to win one big pot an hour; they get their chips in when they have the best of it, and protect them when they don't."

I had no idea Mike McDermott went to Princeton!

Luv2DriveTT
03-14-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo (woops! a gambling term). Thanks Scrub.

Luv2DriveTT
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I respect that greatly.

TheWorstPlayer
03-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Do 12 people in here really think that gamblind is destroying our youth or are those people just trolls? If they are serious, would they care to write a bit of explanation?

SeattleJake
03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
I offered my son to play on a real money account, if he starts reading some books and viewing this forum.

He's been a tournament chess player since 1st grade, and had a lot of potential, but could not put in any kind of studying until the night before a tournament.

This, I think he'll be willing to devote some time to.