PDA

View Full Version : Is Tight Unimaginative Play Enough?

Blackjack
03-14-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm in rebuilding stages right now and I can honestly say that Limit Hold'em is not my specialty.

However, I was a winning player at 2/4 and 5/10 max over the summer - until I switched mostly to NL.

Now the question..

If one plays Party or Stars 3/6.. And ONLY plays hands in groups 1-3 (sklansky ratings) and doesn't really morph to players or the table (because they're 4-8) tabling..

What is an approximate BB/100 rate for this tight unimaginative player?

emonrad87
03-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Barely positive, and very prone to horrible downswings.

SinCityGuy
03-14-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If one plays Party or Stars 3/6.. And ONLY plays hands in groups 1-3 (sklansky ratings) and doesn't really morph to players or the table (because they're 4-8) tabling.. What is an approximate BB/100 rate for this tight unimaginative player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Break-even.

Two years ago when davidross was multitabling Party 3/6, you would win 2-3 BB/100 playing this way.

beta1607
03-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Heres a better idea, sit at only 1-2 tables and actually learn to play poker then add more tables as you are ready.

lehighguy
03-14-2005, 04:44 AM
1-2BB/100 is my guess at the 2/4,3/6 level.

It really depends on how you define imaginative. There are many levels of poker. I find full ring limit at those levels unimaginative by definition (these do require study and finese, but much less then NL or higher limit games, your basically betting when you think you have the best hand and making very small calculated bluffs).

When you play that many tables you are basically on auto pilot, pockertracker will help alot there. Even without pockertracker, I made 1.6BB/100 4tabling 3/6 without very imaginative play for about 40,000 hands.

A side note, you can play speculative hands like low pairs and suited connectors without much imagination as well, and it will add to your profit margin. This is limit, so its easy to calculate pot odds and possibilities.

If you play 100-200NL or 5/10 6max (my games) this will not be possible. These games require proper reads and finese and bluffing and many tools. At these levels you must actually learn how to play poker.

Kenrick
03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If one plays Party or Stars 3/6.. And ONLY plays hands in groups 1-3 (sklansky ratings) and doesn't really morph to players or the table (because they're 4-8) tabling..

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is not specific enough. You could win playing those hands just fine. The question is in how you are playing them. Playing weak-tight or overly-agressive tend to be losing styles no matter what cards you start with.

Someone who only plays 10% of hands but plays them well will win more than a 20% guy who doesn't play them well. Poker is very situational.

Blackjack
03-14-2005, 11:05 AM
I appreciate the responses that weren't aimed at taking a crack at my skill /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was a winning player at 5/10 NL but - don't have the bankroll for that.

I'm just wondering how I'd be able to make more money - 1/2 tables where I can focus mre or 4-8 tables where I just play on autpilot.

I'm leaning towards the 4-8 because after Rakeback, it could be very profitable.

Blackjack

A_C_Slater
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Only play Groups 1-3?

Sweet Jesus, you are overly conservative.

Are you suggesting that folding KQo and AJo is a good idea, even from late position? First one in from MP or LP?

I bet you could make at least 1BB/100 if you were to play only Groups 1-5 and have the ability to learn when the latter hands should be played, but 1-3 is just too tight.

sublime
03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Is Tight Unimaginative Play Enough?

very much so. but your description of unimaginative will change drastically over time/study.

edit:

.. And ONLY plays hands in groups 1-3 (sklansky ratings)

although to tight

SinCityGuy
03-14-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering how I'd be able to make more money - 1/2 tables where I can focus mre or 4-8 tables where I just play on autpilot.

I'm leaning towards the 4-8 because after Rakeback, it could be very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can join the other 18,407 2+2'er's who are doing the same thing. With your playing strategy, you should make somewhere between -$8 and +$8 per hour.

Blackjack
03-14-2005, 05:54 PM
It's not my STRATEGY.. I was just wondering how one who would use that would fair?

Obviously, you have to utilize gap theory etc...

Mike Gallo
03-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Obviously, you have to utilize gap theory etc...

Do you mean tournament play...?

Welcome aboard.