PDA

View Full Version : Check Raise Blows Up in Newb's Face

BluesGuitarTrash
03-13-2005, 10:41 PM
About an hour before playing this hand, I had been reading SSH on "Protecting Your Hand." I THOUGHT this was the occasion to use a check/raise to protect what I thought was the best hand. So, I set about to drive out eveyone who was on a draw, but, unfortunatly, no one left. I lead the betting on the turn, and still they hang around. By the river, the pot is so big that, even though I'm sure I'm beat, I can't lay it down.

I need some help here.

(n.b. I tried to manually convert this hand from Pacific Poker, by editing a Party Poker hand, so there may be errors.)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

istewart
03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Bet this flop. Who are you checkraising? You can't call that on the river.

ArturiusX
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
You check-raise on a scary board, for example T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif when you hold JJ.

Not when you have Top pair, good kicked, on a fairly uncordinated board.

NateDog
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't think I'm raising this PF with 6 limpers OOP.

I like the flop c/r, but I think you were very fortunate to have the button bet this for you. Facing the field with 2 cold should've narrowed it a bit with a rather drawless board, but the BB is getting 9.5:1 if he's got a piece. Anyone after him is getting odds on all sorts of crazy draws.

Getting 19:2 on the river, this is hard to let go, but I can't see how you are good here &gt;5% of the time.

Edit: math problems

DoctorDrew
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm raising this PF with 6 limpers OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be stronger-- I am NOT raising this pf OOP with 6 limpers.

deepsquat
03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Bet the flop. Dont cold call 2 bets on the river, no chance u are ahead here 1/10 times

FreakDaddy
03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
First off I'd limp with this hand. Yes, you have a big field and it's wonderful to build a pot against a lot of people who are playing bad hands, but you're going to be out of positon the entire hand.

Secondly there's no draw on this board, BUT since it's such a large field you will probably get someone to bet a king or medium pair. FORTUNETLY for you a lot of people will cold-call often in micro limits. This time it didn't pay off for you, but down the line it will. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

vulturesrow
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Why try for a checkraise when you are the preflop aggressor?

caggin
03-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't raise KQo preflop from the SB with 6 limpers. KQo doesn't have that much of an edge multiway, and you're building a huge pot that you'll be unable to protect if you hit the flop. On the flop, even w/ your check raise, everyone's getting 1:9 to call. So anyone w/ an 8, 4, or K, or gutshot is correct to call. Your check raise would've been nice if the pot was smaller. I think there's a mistake on the river. Did you call Button's bet, and then call MP2's raise?