PDA

View Full Version : on the bubble

Lucky Irishman
03-13-2005, 10:31 PM
i generally play cash games, but felt like playing a few party sng's yesterday, and ran into a situation that made me think that i wanted some other players' opinions.

basically, top three get paid 5x, 3x, and 2x respectively, and there are four of us left. blinds are 200/400.
sb - had 4200, and was playing big stack well (showing a wilingness to gamble and applying plenty of pressure)
bb - had 4000, and was sitting back
utg - me with 900. i knew i would get a call by one of the big stacks (if i went all in this hand with both of them in the binds), and was going to be committed to play my bb (unless something really strange happened that could cause a likely elimination without me playing).
button - 900 chips like me, but with the advantage of seeing me go through the bb first next hand.

now here's what happened:
i had garbage and folded, thinking that i would like to see an ace for my bb which i was going to be commited to playing, and to my suprise the button player with the same amount of chips as me went all in with pocket 5's, and was to no suprise called by both big stack blinds. his small pocket pair did not make it through the gauntlet, and he finished on the bubble.

at first i thought this was a very bad play on his part, since the two blinds are almost certain to call and you are not likely to win facing 4 overcards, but for some reason i felt that other players may be able to rationalize his move.

can anyone stick up for the button's play here? and why? if he folds his 5's, then i will have to play the two big stacks with a random hand.

willperkins
03-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I do not claim to be an expert, so I will bow to others on this site who may disagree with me but I also push in this situation.

What is button going to do? Play foldies with you. If you both continue to fold until you are "all in", he will have t300 left. What if you win when you are forced all in? Then he is forced to play a random hand.

At least this way he gets his chips in with something. I figure he is hoping the SB will fold and only the BB will call with a random hand. Unless BB has a larger pair than him, he is a favorite to double up. Even if they both call (which they did) he might get lucky and triple up.

Maybe he wants to win the tourney and could care less about sneaking into 3rd place.

The reason I think he might have these thoughts is because it is exactly what I would think if I were in his position.

I too would have pushed. Go for the win, settle for 3rd or in this case 4th.

IMHO

adanthar
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I too would have pushed. Go for the win, settle for 3rd or in this case 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing with 55 when you're going to be called by at least one and probably two people, need to triple up to have any chance at first and have a guy that will be forced in with any two next hand isn't 'playing for first'. It's playing to lose money.