PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a game....

cnfuzzd
03-13-2005, 04:53 PM
So next friday im going to venture forth for my first real session at the boats here in kansas city. Ive scouted the games a little bit, and plan on playing in one of two games.

The first is a 15/30 Straight hold em. The play is probably a little better than your average B&M small stakes game, primarily because of two or three spots that are fairly decent players. Ive played against most of the better players once or twice in previous months, and while not 2+2 level, they are somewhat tight and probably marginal winners in the game due to the ever-present donators. There is always the potential for random huge fish to show up, given that it is friday, and thats the highest game they spread in hold em.

Game two is more exciting. Its a 10-20 hold em/omaha game. This game is absolutely a GAMBOOOLLLL!!!! fest. Ive seen some ridiculous call downs with A and K high for multiple bets, several overcalls on rivers that obviously completed draws, and just an all around great game. The problem of course is that half the game is limit omaha. There no split, so it probably wouldnt be that difficult to brush up on some omaha high specs, and just play a little tighter than optimum to minimize my opportunity to make mistakes.

So, do you think it would be possible to turn myself into a decent enough omaha player in a week to sit in the juicier mixed game, or should i play it safe and just take the 15/30? You decide....well, actually, you talk and i will decide.

peace

john nickle

drdudley
03-13-2005, 05:08 PM
if the holdem game is that good just play excessively tight omaha and use it as a learning session...

bicyclekick
03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I say go with the split holdem/omaha game.

fsuplayer
03-13-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say go with the split holdem/omaha game.

[/ QUOTE ]

your edge in hold 'em playing w those monkeys is prob. much greater than their edge (if they have any) on you in omaha.

i agree w BK, go w the 10-20game. omaha is an easy game to play OK.

Brain
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Go for the HO!

Michael Davis
03-13-2005, 09:03 PM
For limit Omaha hi, just play every hand and pray.

-Michael

Justin A
03-13-2005, 10:14 PM
This ones easy, go for the 10/20 game. It'll be way more fun, and limit Omaha high is very very easy to learn. Just basically nut peddle and you'll own every one else at the table who decides it's a good idea to play every hand. Who cares about a few dollars difference in theoretical earn, go for the gamboooool!!

Brian
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
I think the best game for you to play would be the one where you get off your lazy ass and post the open challenge standings, complete or not.

-Brian

cnfuzzd
03-14-2005, 12:34 AM
and done

peace

john nickle

Sheriff Fatman
03-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Omaha High, unlike its Hi-Lo counterpart, really doesn't suit limit play at all. In most cases, just about any hand that stays to the flop will have a draw that is getting odds to call with and the pots are always going to be big in relation to the bet size due to the multiway nature of the game. Consequently, it really needs to be played pot-limit to avoid being anything less than a crapshoot.

However, that's not to say that the mixed game is going to be a bad game for you to play. Its just likely to be a higher variance game. In all likelihood it'll either be fantastic or immensely frustrating. However, it'll certainly be more 'interesting' than the straight holdem game and you need to consider the 'enjoyment/novelty factor' too.

Provided you are prepared for a roller-coaster ride then there's no reason not to go for the mixed game. It really boils down to your preference for high or low variance sessions (relatively speaking)!

Sheriff