PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament Field

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 03:51 PM
One of my favorite days of the year. With that, here are my final top 16 teams. This is my opinion of where they *should* be seeded, not where they will be seeded. Of note is that 89% of Final Four teams have come from the top 16 teams, almost 75% from the top 8.

Note that Okie St. and Duke are flexible based on their results today.
In order:

1 Seeds
Illinois
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Oklahoma State

2 Seeds
Duke
Kentucky
Gonzaga
Washington

3 Seeds
Oklahoma
Arizona
Kansas
UConn

4 Seeds
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Villanova

Teams most likely to be seeded too high by the NCAA:
Louisville (and anyone from CUSA), Kansas, Michigan State.

Teams most likely to be seeded too low by the NCAA:
Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Pitt.

pshreck
03-13-2005, 04:22 PM
What do you think about GT? This has got to be the mid-seed team that all the good teams dont want to see in their bracket. Win or lose today, they are playing some pretty good basketball.

Corey
03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I haven't wasted a whole weekend watching TV in so long...well, since last March.

The end to the Duke-GT game was awesome and I'll second the idea that GT is the team nobody wants to see in the first round. That being said, I think this little run will elevate their seed to the 6-7 range, when three weeks ago 10-12 was not out of the question.

Duke's win today seals a #1 seed. The final #1 seed comes down to Ok. State or Wake Forest but I think OK state needs to win convincingly to knock wake out of the top seed. Kentucky is assured a two with the way they lost just hours before the selections are final.

tbach24
03-13-2005, 04:50 PM
How good are they? I'm an A-10 fan, but didn't really follow the NCAA this year. How do they stand against the rest of the country?

Corey
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How good are they? I'm an A-10 fan, but didn't really follow the NCAA this year. How do they stand against the rest of the country?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen them on TV a couple of times since moving to the DC Area and I can tell you I'm not impressed. They're simply the best team in a very down year for the A-10. They did beat Michigan State and (then top-10) Maryland early in the season, but were inconsistent at best in the A-10.

I think one of the biggest factors for team like G.W. for pulling an upset is quality gaurd play and they don't have the leadership or organizational skills at the point. Thompson, their PG, is a turnover machine.

GW does have have a couple of things going for them: (1) They have a couple of shooters and we know how important that is in pulling an upset and (2) they are a solid defensive team, especially on the perimiter.

That's my take from the 3ish times I've seen them play on TV.

hoyaboy1
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Someone explain to me why Buffalo is probably going to make the tourney.

banditbdl
03-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Ugh, I don't like Pitt at all. Yeah, they work hard and are physical, but they always seem so limited offensively when I watch them and they're 5-5 in their last 10.

Corey
03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone explain to me why Buffalo is probably going to make the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Buffalo gets in. Before the developments on the west coast last night, they were definately in the mix. There just aren't enough at-large bids to go around. When you're from one of the low mid majors, you need better quality wins than home to Miami (OH) and home to Ohio. The MAC is just a bad conference and there's no way the committee lets them in when teams like Iowa, Iowa State, and UAB are there who play in much better conferences with similar records.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Duke is an easy #1 seed after their win today

BWebb
03-13-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Note that Okie St. and Duke are flexible based on their results today.
In order:

1 Seeds
Illinois
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Oklahoma State

2 Seeds
Duke
Kentucky
Gonzaga
Washington

3 Seeds
Oklahoma
Arizona
Kansas
UConn

4 Seeds
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Villanova

Teams most likely to be seeded too high by the NCAA:
Louisville (and anyone from CUSA), Kansas, Michigan State.

Teams most likely to be seeded too low by the NCAA:
Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Pitt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your list. Only changes I make is moving Duke to a #1 and WF to a #2. Also, I'd put Florida in as a 4 and Villanova out of the top 16. Kansas might be struggling now, but they should still get a #2 seed because of their entire year. I'd put Gonzaga as a #3.

kerssens
03-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Does Washington scare anybody? I see them play quite often and I don't think they really stack up with the Illinois' and the Wakes, etc. I wonder if anybody really knows a lot about them being tucked up here in the corner of the country.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I really havnt given too much thought to location of venue so here is my rough estimate...

1. IL
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. WF

5. UK
6. Louisville
7. Gonzaga
8. OSU

9. AZ
10. Washington
11. Kansas
12. BC

13. Cuse
14. UCONN
15. Oklahoma
16. MSU

IL and Kansas will both be in the Chicago bracket /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Augustine got a well-deserved BTT MVP award.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Wasnt he like 100% from the field this tourny?

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Seemed like it. BTW, I can watch these NCAA Tourney highlights they are showing on CBS for like forever.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
I hear ya... i cant wait until thursday... it is the single best day in sports IMO

MicroBob
03-13-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The MAC is just a bad conference

[/ QUOTE ]

The MAC is the 9th strongest conference in the RPI this year.
This will me it the first year EVER that the 9th strongest does not send 2 teams to the dance (assuming Buffalo doesn't get in).

The MAC was a victim of their own general parity (and number of decent but not great teams).
Miami finished 12-6 in conference...5 or 6 others teams (including Ohio and Buffalo) all finished 11-7 in conference.

Nobody really stood out. Miami had a chance after beating Wichita State...but Miami finished pretty poorly after that including a reg. season finale loss to BG and the semi-final loss to Ohio.

Buffalo also had some chances and would be very serious at-large consideration with just 1 or 2 more regular season wins.

Ohio finished the strongest of all the teams in the conference...but obviously already has the automatic bid.

I agree that Buffalo didn't exactly rack up many noteworthy non-conf wins....but to say it's a weak conference is incorrect.

Everyone wants to talk about the 'flaws' in the RPI when a conference like the MAC does well.

In 1999 I was talking about the RPI with a bunch of reporters from Utah.
Miami with an RPI of 18 was a 10 seed. Utah with an RPI of 14 was a 2 seed.
The MAC was rated as a higher conference that year too.
They all rolled their eyes when I said that their conferences were roughly equivilent in strength and that they shouldn't breathe too easy playing Miami (they were all happy that Utah didn't have to face 7th seeded Washington).

Miami beat Utah by 11 or 13 points in the 2 seed vs. 10 seed 2nd round game and it wasn't even as close as that.

The mid-majors never get much respect.

Again - I don't disagree that Buffalo's non-conf wins are unimpressive and that they likely don't deserve a berth.
Just disputing the notion that the MAC is a 'bad' conference.

I completely agree with Clark that C-USA is overrated.
I think Louisville is a strong team....but UC, Charlotte, Depaul all don't impress me that much.

Just wait till next year when the C-USA features the likes of Marshall, Cent-Fla, Rice and Tulsa!!

I don't think Gonzaga as a 3 or 4 seed is really 'under' rated. I do not consider them a serious contender for the national title.
I also don't think Pitt is going to go anywhere either but it will be interesting to see what the brackets have in store for them.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:02 PM
"I don't think Gonzaga as a 3 or 4 seed is really 'under' rated. I do not consider them a serious contender for the national title. "

Despite winning over potential #1 seeds Washington and Okie State with another win over a healthy Georgia Tech?

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
#1 seeds:

Illinois
UNC
Dook
Washington (!)

Washington's inclusion as a 1 should help the Zags.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
washington... worst number 1 ever

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 seeds:

Illinois
UNC
Dook
Washington (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be interesting to see if Wake ends up playing Illinois again or Washington, at least as far as which regional they end up in.

bugstud
03-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I hoped to get them as Illini's #2

kerssens
03-13-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the ESPN poll right now...."Which #1 will not make it to the Final Four?"

Washington will get 75% of the votes.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hoped to get them as Illini's #2

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing Wake as the #2 in Washingtons region, KU and Louisville as our 2 and 3 seeds.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Illinois gets a super easy 8/9 seed. BC or Bama as the 4/5, I'm pretty happy with that. Okie State got hosed as the #2 seed in the overall #1 seed regional when they could've gotten a #1 seed themselves. I like our draw though.

MicroBob
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
They got hosed a bit.
but I think they're 7 or 10 seed opponent in the 2nd round almost makes up for it as I see minimal risk there....and there are certainly many potential 7 and 10 seeds who could have posed bigger problems for them.

Agreed that Washington is a pretty weak 1 seed. Really surprised me.

I can easily see them losing to Pacific or Pitt in the 2nd round.

mason55
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Didn't see that Washington number 1 seed coming...

mason55
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 seeds:

Illinois
UNC
Dook
Washington (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know these already?

banditbdl
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow, I know I said I didn't like Pitt much, but a 9 seed for them is ridiculous, what a hose-job.

BWebb
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Washington has a tough bracket, that's for sure.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a special TV that picks up CBS broadcasts.

MicroBob
03-13-2005, 07:25 PM
through the miracle of television.

Rob Blackburn
03-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Glad your happy with it, looks like a mine field to me.

You think that 8/9 game is easy?

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad your happy with it, looks like a mine field to me.

You think that 8/9 game is easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Texas is a joke. Nevada doesn't have the firepower.

UNC on the other hand, got hosed. Florida, Nova, Iowa State in their half of the regional? Yikes. Then KU, UConn, Wisconsin at the bottom half. Nasty bracket.

Corey
03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just disputing the notion that the MAC is a 'bad' conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I overstated it, but I believe the MAC is down for a conference that is considered in the upper echelon of the mid majors. Thus, I doubt Buffalo gets in no matter what sort of RPI conference rankings there are. Last time I checked they had the WCC as the #7 conference and that is 100% from good non-conference schedules, not the results of the games.

mason55
03-13-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a special TV that picks up CBS broadcasts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], where can I get one?

But in all seriousness, did they announce the number 1's before the brackets? I missed the first few minutes (watching TiVoed WPT).

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Florida and Novas's stock has been going up as of late and Texas and BC's has been on the decline...

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Duke, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Syracuse all in the last regional. Not too shabby.

Corey
Wow, going from a regional without much firepower, the Washington bracket. To the UNC bracket where 6-7 teams have a viable shot at the final four. Some interesting things happen when you have to bracket 64 teams.

MicroBob
They just showed my alma-mater, Miami (Ohio) before the break as one of the 'bubble' teams hoping to get in.

Don't know what the hell Charlie Coles (head coach) is thinking inviting the cameras in there. Miami has very little shot of getting in.
Since the tourney-champ, Ohio, got a 13-seed I think Miami has even less of a shot.

Hey, I'll be happy if they prove me wrong....but seriously, I didn't even know anyone was still talking about them as a legitimate bubble team.

It'll be a MAC-packed NIT this year...that's for sure.

Rob Blackburn
03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I kinda thought the Illini Bracket looked tough then they showed the UNC bracket.

Well I can say one thing if they happen to make it out they will surely be battle tested.

The scariest team is Florida, with Kansas a close second.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
stanford an 8 seed??? ohhh my

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Iowa's in???

*shakes head*

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Iowa's in???

*shakes head*

[/ QUOTE ]

5 Big Ten teams, 5 ACC Teams, 6 Big East, 6 Big 12.

banditbdl
03-13-2005, 07:39 PM
The Mighty Gophers are screwed. If they can make it through an evenish matchup Iowa St. they get the sweet matchup with North Carolina in freaking Charlotte. I think most Roy Williams teams are a joke against good competition but their made to beat a team like Minnesota or Iowa St. by twenty-five.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:41 PM
The Big 10 shouldnt have had 5 this year

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
when are the game times posted? i have a 730 flight thursday and hope i wont miss this one...

Rob Blackburn
03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
That UNC team has the potential to beat anyone by 25, if they actually show up and do it is the real qurestion.

The more I look at this bracekt the more I'm scared. The past few games have not been good, but I was hoping for a good draw to ease the crappy play.

Bottom line the Heels have to come out and burn up the nets or they are going home early.

Dead
03-13-2005, 07:48 PM
You totally forgot about UConn Clark.

Also, here's my take on Syracuse, if you wanna hear it(you probably don't)

I think that they will beat Vermont and then beat Michigan State. They'll then take on Duke in the Sweet 16 and upset them.

They will then face Kentucky in the elite 8 and it will be a tough game, but Syracuse will prevail. Syracuse will beat UNC in the semifinal and then Illinois/Oklahoma State(I think Illinois will come out of the Midwest) in the championship game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So don't underestimate SU guys. They have the potential to beat some very good teams.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Looking at it now from top to bottom, I think the regions are in the following order based on total difficulty.

1. North Carolina Regional
2. Illinois Regional
3. Duke Regional
4. Washington Regional

I like Illinois' draw if we get past Okie State because we've already crushed the Zags and Wake, and Washington is a great matchup for us. Louisville is phony. If we get to the final four, I really think we advance to the final. The key is avoiding that misstep along the way.

Jack of Arcades
03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Louisville is phony.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope so. I'm a Ragin' Cajun.

Rob Blackburn
03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Duke always seems to get a good draw. I really thing they have the easiest road to the Final Four as a one seed.

I agree with your rankings, I think Washington has the easiest bracket on a whole and they probably won't even come out of that bracket because I think they are a pseudo-1.

Dead
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
You'll probably have to face Syracuse in the national championship.

Dead
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I think that Syracuse is going to upset Duke in the Sweet 16.

You heard it here first.

mmbt0ne
03-13-2005, 08:06 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Washington has a tough bracket, that's for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no. GT got a great draw. Assuming they can get to the second round game against Louisville, I think that'll be their toughest game other than any final 4 game they might get in to. I don't know, Clark says Louisville's phony though, and I can't imagine it's smart to go against him.

Washington won't make it past the sweet 16, if they even get there. I was floored that they got a number 1. Oh well, guess it's time to buy tickets since Nashville's just a hop-skip away from here and it'll be spring break.

Overall, I think the Duke bracket is the toughest, then Illinois, then UNC, and then GT (yes, it's the GT bracket).

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You heard it here first.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we didn't hear it here first. We heard it from you like 8 other times in the last 10 minutes. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

banditbdl
03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That UNC team has the potential to beat anyone by 25

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. They definitely have the raw talent and personnel for this to be true, but with Roy Williams at the helm I'm always scared. That secondary break is great at torching mediocrish teams like Minnesota and Iowa St. but when you start getting deeper in the tournament and they have to play teams with better personnel who can defend and force UNC to play halfcourt offense, I'd be very very worried.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Iowa State is a very, very dangerous team.

Dead
03-13-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You heard it here first.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we didn't hear it here first. We heard it from you like 8 other times in the last 10 minutes. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you can see the rest of my predictions in another thread in OOT.

It's gonna be upset city, baby! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drac
03-13-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That UNC team has the potential to beat anyone by 25

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. They definitely have the raw talent and personnel for this to be true, but with Roy Williams at the helm I'm always scared. That secondary break is great at torching mediocrish teams like Minnesota and Iowa St. but when you start getting deeper in the tournament and they have to play teams with better personnel who can defend and force UNC to play halfcourt offense, I'd be very very worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't think it will happen UNC can lose that 2nd round game. They struggled to beat Indiana (granted, it was at IU) earlier this year when the Hoosiers were playing like crap. Minnesota just proved to be a bit better than IU this week and the Gophs and Cyclones both play some pretty tough conference games. I don't think this will be an easy game for UNC, one of those close games most of the time, occasional UNC blow out.

Dead
03-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Any team can lose any game. You have to do better than that.

I think that UNC will make it to the Elite Eight and lose to the Huskies of Connecticut there.

Uston
03-13-2005, 09:27 PM

Nope. They'd beat 1999 Auburn by 15.

IggyWH
03-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, I don't think they were totally screwed, but I think a #9 seed for Pitt is a complete joke. Sure they did get knocked out early in the BE Tournament, but they were 10-6 in one of if not the best conference (I only say IF because I don't want to start an ACC vs BE arguement). They played UConn, Syracuse and ND (who should be in the tournament)twice going 5-1 in those games. They also completely beat up on BC.

Their 8 losses include 2 to Villanova, 2 to WVU, 1 to UConn and 1 to Bucknell. All 6 of those losses are to NCAA Tournament teams. The other 2 were close games to St Johns &amp; Georgetown. Not the best losses but you're going to drop a couple games in a tough conference.

You cannot tell me that Pitt is worse than 32+ teams in this tournament. I just hope the real Pitt team shows up. Lock the boys up... don't let them go out and get laid the night before and they'll be fine. Pacific is looking to get effed hardcore and then we'll end all this "East Coast Biased" BS when Washington goes down.

pc in NM
03-13-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Illinois' draw if we get past Okie State because we've already crushed the Zags and Wake, and Washington is a great matchup for us. Louisville is phony. If we get to the final four, I really think we advance to the final. The key is avoiding that misstep along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the last time the Illini were in a great Eight game - it's gonna happen again, guys - Arizona just might be your nightmare once again....

Do you hear the footsteps???

The Big Dance - the best of times, AND the worst of times....

Dead
03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree.

I think that Pitt getting a 9 while West Virginia gets a 7 is ridiculous. I agree with that cmte that West Virginia should have been in the tourney, but I think that maybe Pitt should have taken LSU's #6 spot with LSU being a #7 and West Virginia being a #9.

What do you think?

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 09:54 PM
As long as we don't have the same officiating crew that in 2000 fouled out 6 of our guys to zero for Arizona, I'm quite alright taking our chances against the Cats. I'd certainly rather play them than OSU.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I'd certainly rather play them than OSU.

I second that

IggyWH
03-13-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

I think that Pitt getting a 9 while West Virginia gets a 7 is ridiculous. I agree with that cmte that West Virginia should have been in the tourney, but I think that maybe Pitt should have taken LSU's #6 spot with LSU being a #7 and West Virginia being a #9.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem. I can say Pitt shouldn't be a #9... but I can't actually say what they should be. Considering UConn a 2, BC a 4, Syracuse a 4, Nova a 5 and WVU a 7, going on that alone, Pitt should be a 6 or 7.

Dead
03-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I agree.

I think that the committee gave way too much credence to the conference tournaments in some cases. In order to be consistent SU probably should have gotten a 3, considering that they did beat UConn in the semifinal.

TaxGoddess
03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
I think it is just a shame that Depaul &amp; St. Joseph's didn't make the big dance this year.

Dead
03-13-2005, 10:48 PM
St. Joe's didn't beat any ranked teams. Kansas blew them out by 40 and they lost to Villanova by 15. They also were beaten by teams like San Francisco.

I don't think that they deserved a bid.

kerssens
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
People are trashing Washington on here but have these people seen them play? Has anybody west of the Rockies seem them since the Great Alaska Shootout? (which they won beating Utah, Oklahoma and Alabama)

Dead
03-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Washington is a very small team and that will hurt them when they run into a team with big guys like Gonzaga.

IggyWH
03-13-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Washington is a very small team and that will hurt them when they run into a team with big guys like Pitt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post for you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dead
03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Bro you know I like Pitt(Carl Krauser is cool), but Washington is gonna have no trouble with them.

kerssens
03-13-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Washington is a very small team and that will hurt them when they run into a team with big guys like Pitt.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitt can't score enough to keep up with Washington. Gonzaga already beat them once so they'll be trouble if they get past Wake.

Dead
03-13-2005, 11:41 PM
I think that Gonzaga will get past Wake and get to the Final Four where they will lose to Illinois.

kerssens
03-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Gonzaga will get past Wake and get to the Final Four where they will lose to Illinois.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Wake coming out, Chris Paul should be pissed and ready to play....this will be my first time attending the Final Four, wasn't so much into college basketball when it was here in '95

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Im not trashing washington... i am trashing the committee making them a number 1 seed. They are a solid team but not a #1 seed.

IggyWH
03-13-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitt can't score enough to keep up with Washington. Gonzaga already beat them once so they'll be trouble if they get past Wake.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you can play defense, you don't need to score a lot. Only 4 times did teams score more than 70 points against us. If we keep any team in that range we have a chance to win.

RcrdBoy
03-14-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not trashing washington... i am trashing the committee making them a number 1 seed. They are a solid team but not a #1 seed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people agreed that they were a #2. So I don't see how that translates into the worst #1 ever.

I was surprised that Wake wasn't the other #1, but they got the #2 in the same bracket. If they were flopped nobody would care.

Washington is way better than most on here are giving them credit for, but it's not surprising. The Pac 10 has the worst TV deal in D1 sports.

Dead
03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
The Pac 10 is weak this year. They only have two strong teams in Washington and Arizona. Stanford is slightly above average and UCLA is average.

I agree that Washington and Arizona are quite good.

Washington deserved their #1 seed.

The ONE team that really got shafted in seeding is Louisville. They were ranked #4 in the country in the coach's poll, and only got a #4 seed, same as Syracuse. Louisville deserved a #2.

I also think that Syracuse deserved a #3. I do not think that Uconn deserved a #2. I think that they deserved a #3 as well.

I also think that Pitt deserved a 6 rather than a 9.

RcrdBoy
03-14-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Washington is a very small team and that will hurt them when they run into a team with big guys like Gonzaga.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are small, but they've beaten Utah with Andrew Bogat. They beat Oklahoma and Kevin Bookout. They beat AZ twice with Channing Frye. They beat ASU three times with Ike Diogu.

Big teams don't give them trouble. The teams that give them trouble play great zone defense. It brings their offense to a grinding halt.

They could lose to a team like Pitt, but they have faced and beaten a lot better.

And if they are fortunate enough to meet Gonzaga it would be tough. I think they have lost 7 straight to the Zags.

RcrdBoy
03-14-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Pac 10 is weak this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pac 10, as a conference, is ranked #2 in the RPI.

I don't think it's the 2nd best conference in college basketball, but it's a lot better than most people think.

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Also, just because a conference is weak, doesn't mean a particular team is weak. See Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville - all from "down" conferences, but many people still think they are top notch teams this year.

DeathDonkey
03-14-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm a UA student and a huge fan, but I'll be surprised if they get through this first weekend to reach the sweet 16. I like the LSU/UAB winner to beat Arizona this weekend. It's the same story as last year, talented head cases who will find a way to lose away from home.

-DeathDonkey

Clarkmeister
03-14-2005, 03:37 AM
In case I've never mentioned it, your handle/avatar combo is strong.