PDA

View Full Version : Alternative medicines

partygirluk
03-13-2005, 07:47 AM
So my IBS got really bad on Friday, and I was at the end of my tether. I was speaking to my colleague about it, and she had also sufered from it. So she mentions that the she went to a health shop, and a couple of supplements helped her.

Now I am a guy who believes in science and not in God. I am really sceptical about anything not scientifically tested or supernatural. However, after a day of severe anal pain, I was willing to try anything. The Store sold me two items. Some drops to put in my water, and some pills. Yesterday was my best day for an age, and today has started off good too.

I can rule out a Placebo effect, as a I was previously taking a doctor prescribed drug that I really thought would help, but it didn't. OTOH I didnt think these new age potions would help, but they seem to have.

What are your experiences with alternative medicines?

jakethebake
03-13-2005, 11:00 AM
This has all the makings of a great thread. What's the craziest thing we can convince him to shove up his rectum in the name of medicine?

wacki
03-13-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I am a guy who believes in science and not in God. I am really sceptical about anything not scientifically tested or supernatural.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of our modern medicines come from natural substances. The problem is you can't patent a natural substance. So pharmaceutical companies will modify it to just enough to slap a patent on it. Some modified medicines perform better and others perform worse. There is no mystery about most alternative medicines. Be very careful what you try though. Some alternative medicines can have permanent and horrible side effects. Yohimbe is one such alternative medicine I will never take.