PDA

View Full Version : pot odds question about Poker Essays hand....

sonicblue
03-13-2005, 06:31 AM
On pages 94-95 of Poker Essays the following hand is described by the author --
"a hand I played in a $20-40 hold'em game....I held..."
A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif
"and managed to get trapped in a large multiway pot that went to three bets before the flop. The flop came:

Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

....There was a bet and several callers before the action got to me. Since I was getting pot odds of approximately 25-to-1 .....I went ahead and called."

I'm confused, I don't understand why the pot odds are 25-1...are these the odds of hitting the nut flush? There's something going right over my head, no doubt, because the highest pot odds (bet wise) I consider are 9-to-1 in a full ring game, or the outs x 2 + 2 = % chance (probability not odds) of success for a given hand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks to anyone who takes the time...

BruceZ
03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On pages 94-95 of Poker Essays the following hand is described by the author --
"a hand I played in a $20-40 hold'em game....I held..."
A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif
"and managed to get trapped in a large multiway pot that went to three bets before the flop. The flop came:

Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

....There was a bet and several callers before the action got to me. Since I was getting pot odds of approximately 25-to-1 .....I went ahead and called."

I'm confused, I don't understand why the pot odds are 25-1...are these the odds of hitting the nut flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's saying that there were about 25 bets in the pot, and it costs 1 bet to call. That is the definition of pot odds of 25-1. You compare pot odds to the odds of making your hand on the next card. In this case, it is 45-2 or 22.5-1 that he will catch a 6 on the next card to make a set. This by itself is already better than the pot odds, and he has some additional chances of hitting the nut flush, which are 10/47 * 9/46 = 1/24 or 23-1. It is just a coincidence that this happens to be close to the pot odds. These are the odds for making the flush in two cards, and it will cost more to see the river card, unless he or his opponents go all-in.