PDA

View Full Version : PLO/8 pot vs half pot bets

PokrLikeItsProse
03-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I've been steadily profitable with limit O/8, but just as in hold em I find NL and PL to be iffy propositions. Because I prefer limit for cash games, I've generally been shying away from PLO/8, although I make occasional forays.

I've noticed that on the flop, if I bet at all, I bet pot, but on the turn I generally bet pot if I am trying to drive players out (such as when I have a made high hand and want to try to push low draws out), while I generally bet half-pot if I want callers or when I am out of position with a made but vulnerable hand that makes me fear giving a free card.

Is this a noticeable, easily exploitable betting pattern? I've read that in PLO high, one should generally bet pot on the flop and turn or not bet at all. Is that true in PLO/8 as well?

Also, if one raises, should one always raise the size of the pot?

If these are basic questions, please point me to the book or website that goes into these details in depth. My only O8 reading is from SS2.

cielo
03-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Prose,

I have been playing limit omaha/8 for maybe 5-6 months (mostly .5/1 and 5+1 and 10+1 SNGs). I recently started playing plo8 (Party $25), payed for some expensive (to me at least) lessons, but since I have calmed down and started folding when I knew I was beat.

Anyway, I almost always bet the pot. I think you are right to do so as well. But I'm not sure about only betting half the pot when you feel your hand is vulnerable? We always want our opponants make the biggest mistakes possible right?
You may be giving certain draws good enough odds by only betting 1/2 the pot (the first caller is getting 3/1 instead of 2/1 and so on).

Is this a noticable betting pattern? Yes,

But the players at my game are unlikely to pick up on this, esp. if I have position. I assume this would be different at higher levels.

As to your question: should you always raise the size of the pot?

that depends on why you are raising.

To get people out (yes)

To build a pot, esp pre-flop, (maybe not).

I had a hand tonight, the turn gave me the nuts both ways,
player 1 went all in for ~$4, call, i min. raise, to get callers money, if I had raised the pot he would have been more likely to fold, I did bet the rest of my stack ~$9 on the river though. (he payed me off too).

I
So, that was a bit of a ramble but I hope at least some of it helped you.

cielo