PDA

View Full Version : Ben Folds Covers Dr. Dre

Tron
03-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Ben Folds has recently released a cover of "Bitches Ain't [censored]" by Dr. Dre. It's pretty entertaining and it's actually a very well done song... You can get it on iTunes (HAHAHA) or your file-sharing weapon of choice.

Then you can post about it here... Or whatever.

ewile
03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
I freaking LOVE Ben Folds and I've never seen him in concert. He is #1 on my must see list by far.

PoBoy321
03-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Definitely see Ben Folds in concert. I saw him last summer when he was on tour with Guster and Rufus Waingwright. He put on, by far, the best performance I have ever seen by anyone anywhere.

mason55
03-13-2005, 03:49 AM
I wish he'd write more songs about abortions. Abortions are cool.

I'm pretty sure that sounds sarcastic, but I meant it seriously, I love that song and the story it tells.

PoBoy321
03-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Which song is about an abortion?

mason55
03-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Brick.

Listen to it right now knowing what it's about. It makes infinitely more sense. If you've ever been involved in that situation it suddenly become extremly touching.

Especially the line:
"cant you see, it's not me you're dying for"

James282
03-13-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I freaking LOVE Ben Folds and I've never seen him in concert. He is #1 on my must see list by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben Folds is one of the most entertaining shows out there right now, whether you like his music or not. If you're a fan, you have to see him live.
-James

PoBoy321
03-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Wow, you're completely right. That does add a lot to the context of the song. Thankfully, I've never had to be in that situation, but I can see how the song can convey the kind of pain and confusion that goes along with it.

That being said, Brick is one of my least favorite Ben Folds songs. I personally enjoy his more upbeat songs like Army and Steven's Last Night In Town much more. When I saw him live in Central Park in NYC, he performed Army and it was the greatest performance I've ever seen. It was just amazing. He just had the crowd going, and there was like this pulse, just running through everyone, and it was like nothing I've ever felt at a concert before. If you like his music, make it a point to see him live.

mason55
03-13-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you're completely right. That does add a lot to the context of the song. Thankfully, I've never had to be in that situation, but I can see how the song can convey the kind of pain and confusion that goes along with it.

That being said, Brick is one of my least favorite Ben Folds songs. I personally enjoy his more upbeat songs like Army and Steven's Last Night In Town much more. When I saw him live in Central Park in NYC, he performed Army and it was the greatest performance I've ever seen. It was just amazing. He just had the crowd going, and there was like this pulse, just running through everyone, and it was like nothing I've ever felt at a concert before. If you like his music, make it a point to see him live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen him live. Been a fan for a very long time, always seemed like he'd be a boring show. I'll definitely have to check him out now though, after all these recommendations.

Brick was always one of my least favorite songs too, and it still is, but once someone told me what it was about (as a music lover I hate to admit that I didn't get it) it's got a different place in my heart now. I think it's his best song lyrically. The rest of his songs are just straightforward and fun but brick is very interesting from a songwriting perspective.

mason55
03-13-2005, 04:37 AM
BTW i can't find this song on soulseek and i don't have iTunes or an iTunes account. Do you have a file name or something I could search for? If it's good I"ll buy it through a friends iTunes account but that's a lot of effort, i'd like to hear it first.

MicroBob
03-13-2005, 04:51 AM
how one can be familiar with Ben Folds' music and think his concert would be pretty boring is beyond me. Unless you only have the Unauthorized biography of Reinhold Mesmer CD (or whatever his name is) album which is pretty slow. First time I saw him was on the tour for this album and it indeed WAS kinda boring. It was also in a regular theatre with padded-seats, etc. Not exactly a scene in which one could rock-out.

Second time I saw him was on the Rockin the Suburbs tour which was a fine show. but I didn't see him on the Whatever and Ever tour and I haven't really seen him at his best so I think i need to get on that.

The Ben Folds Live CD is pretty good....including the version of Army (not sure if it's Central Park or not).

Song for the Dumped
Emaline (both the live and studio versions)
Army
Underground

are all amongst my fave Ben Folds songs.
Brick is not.

I signed-up for the Ben Folds mailing list thingee at one of his concerts many moons ago and I still get e-mails.

but the link for bitches is only from i-tunes so that won't do you much good if you don't do i-tunes.

Still....in case your curious:

May Tour Dates Announced!
5/03/05 Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre All Ages On Sale 3/11/05
5/04/05 Royal Oak, MI @ Royal Oak Music Theatre All Ages On Sale TBA
5/05/05 Indianapolis, IN @ Egyptian Room In Murat Center All Ages On Sale TBA
5/08/05 Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club All Ages On Sale TBA
5/09/05 Durham, NH @ Univ. Of New Hampshire - UNH Fieldhouse All Ages On Sale TBA
5/10/05 New York, NY @ Town Hall Theatre All Ages On Sale TBA
5/13/05 Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory All Ages On Sale TBA
5/14/05 Boston, MA @ Avalon Ages 18+ On Sale TBA

I'm sure there are more tour-dates but I don't feel like looking them up.

-----------------------------------

Get Your Special Expanded Edition of
Ben Folds Five's
Whatever And Ever Amen

Hitting stores everywhere March 22

This newly remastered version features new liner notes
from all the original band members
PLUS 7 bonus tracks:
~ "Video Killed The Radio Star" (studio version, previously unreleased)
~ "For All The Pretty People"
~ "Mitchell Lane"
~ Theme from "Dr. Pyser" (studio version)
~ "Air"
~ "She Don't Use Jelly"
~ "Song For The Dumped" (Japanese version)

This sounds pretty cool to me.
I think I need to hear Ben Folds doing Video Killed the Radio Star and She Don't Use Jelly.

mason55
03-13-2005, 04:53 AM
I'm very familiar with his music. I guess I just never thought about seeing him live but now that I think about I'm sure it's a great show. I'll be waiting for the DC tickwets to go on sale. Thanks a ton actually.

PoBoy321
03-13-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5/08/05 Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club All Ages On Sale TBA
5/10/05 New York, NY @ Town Hall Theatre All Ages On Sale TBA

[/ QUOTE ]

This poses a problem. Should I stay a few extra days at school to catch his show in DC, or wait to come home and see him in NYC?

mason55
03-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Go to the DC show and meet up with me.

lighterjobs
03-13-2005, 05:21 AM
when you saw him did he have a band or was it just him? i've seen him twice in the past couple of years and the first time (about a year and a half ago) it was just him and a piano, but i saw him a month ago and he had a band.

lighterjobs
03-13-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on his live cd he talks about how brick was about his girlfriend having to get an abortion. but i agree, brick is one of my least favorite song of his. Army is a great live song. not the same is also really cool because of the crowd participation.

lighterjobs
03-13-2005, 05:24 AM
i think there is a link to it on collegehumor.com.

Tron
03-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Yeah, there's a link to a video of it on www.collegehumor.com (http://www.collegehumor.com) but it's only about half the song, and the quality isn't so good. There is actually a studio-recorded version that I got, I just searched for "ben folds bitches" Insert your own joke here.

lighterjobs
03-13-2005, 05:49 AM
there was a link to download it on there the other day but now it's broken. i just downloaded it on limewire, though.

IndieMatty
03-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I [censored] /images/graemlins/heart.gif Ben Folds (more pre-solo career)

Arsene Lupin III
03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
This is much better than that 'boys in the hood' cover. Ben has always written great harmonies and the "my n*gga d.o.c. and my homie doctor dre" line is awesome.

Ben's written some amazing, and at times depressing, lyrics. His compositional skills are the icing on the cake at times. Definitely one of the great geniuses of pop music. Who else has a musical pallette that can go from something like Selfless, cold, and composed to Kate on a track's notice?

I miss the five, tho. They complemented eachother pretty well.

Arsene Lupin III
03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PLUS 7 bonus tracks:
~ Theme from "Dr. Pyser" (studio version)

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.

[ QUOTE ]
- "Air"

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the most depressing BFF songs, the last line is haunting.

[ QUOTE ]
~ "She Don't Use Jelly"

[/ QUOTE ]
If you haven't heard this... It's the other great BF cover, done lounge-samba style or some [censored]. Hilarious.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I need to hear Ben Folds doing Video Killed the Radio Star and She Don't Use Jelly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. You can get these already on p2p networks.. They were b-sides on all sorts of singles.. Air was on the godzilla soundtrack, I believe.