PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker / Crapshoot

Dennis187
03-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Ok, so let me introduce myself. I have been multi-tabling some SNGs over at Ultimatebet for awhile now, and Pokerstars but I am looking for a change. Was thinking about Party Poker since I have searched these forums, read the FAQS(strats) on how to beat them 10+1 and up to 30+3 and I have came to realise that they seem fairly beatable and easy games. However I just want some clarification. Why?

Here is the story, I am disputing with my friend that these games are no just crap shoot with the high fast blind structures and that there is a strategy that you can incorporate to beat these games. He doesnt think so... so I want to lay it to rest. Are these game beatable for any length of time? Like say over a couple months, or 1000-2000 SNGs... can you make a steady profit off of them (counting in variance, and downswings of course)....

Some opinions on this matter from experienced players in this field would be greatly appreciated... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dennis187
03-12-2005, 11:59 PM
no opinions on this topic ??? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ZebraAss
03-13-2005, 12:01 AM
"Are these game beatable for any length of time? Like say over a couple months, or 1000-2000 SNGs... can you make a steady profit off of them (counting in variance, and downswings of course)...."

No, virtually impossible.(if this was true no one would be here)

PS: It isn't a crapshoot when you have an obvious advantage.

Dennis187
03-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Which that obvious advantage is? Just basically playing tight solid poker till near the end and not making any dumb stupid ass mistakes?

lorinda
03-13-2005, 12:04 AM
If there is no skill, could he answer my A9o hand please a little further down the page.

I thought it was reasonably complicated.

Lori

ZebraAss
03-13-2005, 12:14 AM
"Which that obvious advantage is? Just basically playing tight solid poker till near the end and not making any dumb stupid ass mistakes?"

I don’t think there are any mistakes in a sit’n’go. I just think there are misunderstandings and unsuccessful attempts to obtain chips. One thing you do may seem dumb to another player because this player knows what “play” is more advantageous in the given situation. You can always say you did something stupid when you get caught. But if it is the right play and you continue to make mostly right play’s you will beat the game.

PS: By your comment I think you may have vast misunderstandings about how to play this game.

citanul
03-13-2005, 02:32 AM
For god's sake man, the reason you're getting silly answers to your question is because your question is silly. Your question, paraphrased, reads:

"Hello community, many of whom claim to be long term winners at these games, are these games beatable over the long run?"

Then, when people replied sarcasticly, you appeared to back off the original question of "are they beatable" to "how are they beatable?"

Here, I'll lay it out quick like:

They are beatable games. They are beatable because your opponents do not all play perfectly, or often well. The way you beat them is to take advantages of the various mistakes that your opponents make. That is, you play better than they do. It is not possible to win every game, even though you may play well every game. This is because there is a lot of luck involved in an individual tournament. However, over the long term, a player who "plays well" gets his or her money into pots with an Expected Value advantage over the players who play poorly. In the case of sngs, much of the advantage a good player has over the bad players has nothing to do with getting money into pots with the best hand, and getting called by a bad hand - it has to do with taking free money that's constantly lying around at the mid to late stages of these tournaments.

That paragraph contained more detail than it needed to. I'm trying to not take offense, or what to slap you at the idiocy of the question "Which that obvious advantage is? Just basically playing tight solid poker till near the end and not making any dumb stupid ass mistakes?" Do you really think that your question which entirely read "What's the way that one beats these games? Is it to play in one fashion, and not make dumb mistakes?" I mean come on man, do you think that there would be a forum here at all if there was so little to it?

For the record - Tight early. Loose late. Don't call. Bet.

Boom, 7 words. I knew if I tried, I could answer the question of "what is the obvious way of beating these games in a manner that would forever obsolete these forums, and I've done it. If you want, I give you license to print those words out and tape them to your monitor. However, I'm going to seek immediate copyright on the phrase, so that's the only freebee you get.

Welcome to the forums. Don't tell your friend about us.

citanul

citanul
03-13-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By your comment I think you may have vast misunderstandings about how to play this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're more succinct than I this evening. I may/may not have been more helpful for a change?

citanul

lorinda
03-13-2005, 02:39 AM
You're more succinct than I this evening. I may/may not have been more helpful for a change?

Citanul this week.

Quiet early. Aggressive late. Hates stupid posts.

Lori

citanul
03-13-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Citanul this week.

Quiet early. Aggressive late. Hates stupid posts.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

raptor517
03-13-2005, 02:43 AM
contains himself.. and simply says 'yes, you can make bajillions of dollars' holla

Dennis187
03-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey citanul. Yeah I know, dumb question. My mistake. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for your response though, I mean you didnt have to respond with a good answer... but you did nevertheless. And that I really do appreciate. I am going to start playing these SNGs using your strat at the $10+1 level and hopefully work my way up... I will keep everyone posted on ROI and ITM. Thanks again.