PDA

View Full Version : Personal privacy defenders: how do you respond to this dilemma?

FrankieFish
03-12-2005, 10:39 PM
A rape victim alleges that someone at a party you attended is her attacker. She was blind-folded, so she can't identify the attacker. However, the DNA from the attacker was collected from the victim.

You are NOT the attacker.

You are asked to submit DNA evidence to narrow the field of suspects.

Do you submit your DNA?

smoore
03-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Only if my blood type matches that of the collected DNA.

mmcd
03-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Not a chance. They'll have my genetic profile in some computer database forever. If they could give me a 100% (verifiable) guarantee that my DNA sample and all records pertaining to it would be fully destroyed as soon as I was ruled out as a suspect, then yes.

FrankieFish
03-12-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only if my blood type matches that of the collected DNA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds against that are pretty low, no?

FrankieFish
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a chance. They'll have my genetic profile in some computer database forever. If they could give me a 100% (verifiable) guarantee that my DNA sample and all records pertaining to it would be fully destroyed as soon as I was ruled out as a suspect, then yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if all of the other attendees except you and one other submitted samples?

EDIT: and you can't be guaranteed that your submission will be destroyed.

fimbulwinter
03-13-2005, 12:14 AM
yes.

trying to protect your "genetic information" is so retarded from a scientific standpoint that this question is moot for anyone who would have the knowledge/be in the position to make a real decision about it.

if you're worried about this, then never leave your home and clean all surfaces with bleach every night- it'll be doing both us and you a favor.

fim

gvibes
03-13-2005, 01:09 AM
This is a stupid question. You either consent, or you go to jail. Most people would consent.

lastchance
03-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Ditto. I don't want to get caught for a completely unrelated crime just because I'm in the database.

Of course, once they hand over the warrant, I give it up, immediately.

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You either consent, or you go to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true.

lastchance
03-13-2005, 01:13 AM
We are assuming they don't have a warrant, right? Cuz there is an amendment that prevents them from forcibly taking your genetic info without probable cause.

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We are assuming they don't have a warrant, right? Cuz there is an amendment that prevents them from forcibly taking your genetic info without probable cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes, I suppose I should have said that.

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT a true defender of personal privacy won't let a piece of paper violate a strong principle -- or at least that's what I'd believe.

smoore
03-13-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A+/-, B+/-, AB+/-, O+/- are the possibilities. I used to know the distribution percentage but have forgotten.

Dead
03-13-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A+/-, B+/-, AB+/-, O+/- are the possibilities. I used to know the distribution percentage but have forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here:

Type Frequency
O+ 38%
A+ 34%
B+ 9%
O- 7%
A- 6%
AB+ 3%
B- 2%
AB- 1%

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you're not a strong believer in personal privacy.

Whether or not a blood type is a match should not affect a personal privacy advocate's decision to divulge personal and private information.

lastchance
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Well, I'm not a true defender. I just want to be able to commit crimes and get away with them. :P

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not a true defender. I just want to be able to commit crimes and get away with them. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

smoore
03-13-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you're not a strong believer in personal privacy.

Whether or not a blood type is a match should not affect a personal privacy advocate's decision to divulge personal and private information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a strong advocate for privacy. If your blood type matches then you are automatically a suspect in this case and it's in your best interest to divulge the info.

BCPVP
03-13-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT a true defender of personal privacy won't let a piece of paper violate a strong principle -- or at least that's what I'd believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would I submit w/o a warrant? No.
With a warrant? Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they have a warrant, it almost always means they have probable cause. In that case you don't really have a choice.

FrankieFish
03-13-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a strong advocate for privacy. If your blood type matches then you are automatically a suspect in this case and it's in your best interest to divulge the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they know your blood type matches?