PDA

View Full Version : The best TV show (comedy) you've never heard of! (kinda long)

CallMeIshmael
03-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Before I reveal what the title promises, I feel I need to go into a little background.

Firstly, I'm not one that goes around telling people you 'have to hear/see this' unless its the truth.

Also, I'll list what I would consider the 5 funniest modern programs that you have heard of (in order). Just, so people can get a sense of what I find funny.

Honourable mention: Curb your enthusiasm and Late night with conan o'brien. Conan has REALLY gone down hill in the past year though.

5) Family Guy: A little too random at times, and definitely not as 'good' as any of the other four, it is perhaps the 'laugh out loud' funniest of the group. I'll never forget stuey's rendition of rocketman. Can't wait for the return.

4) Arrested development: If the title of the post were 'the best show you're not watching', this would be it. I feel the second season is not a good as the first, they've gone a little too far out there IMHO with some of the storylines, and they have really cut down on Gob's segway. But a weak episode is still one of the funniest half hours of television you can find today.

3) The Simpsons: This is a difficult one to judge. If they stopped making episdoes after season 8, it would be at least 1 notch higher, and very possibly #1. The 4th and 5th season era (read: last exit to springfield, cape feare, rosebud type episodes) are some of the best stuff I've ever seen. Nowadays, its barely watchable, and thats why it lands at #3.

2) The daily show with Jon Stewart: Stewart is hot these days, and for good reason. The show is at it's best ever. Undercredited, however, are the correspondents. I don't think Stephen Colbert could do something I don't find funny. Corddory and Helms are amazing as well.

1) Seinfeld: really, what else could it be? I don't really need to say anything. Amazing characters, both main and side. Every piece of dialogue is original and witty.

So, if you agree with me there, and are sick of the utter crap that is on TV these days, you HAVE to get your hands on a copy of 'The Office', available on DVD.

Its a British TV show, they only made 14 episodes (2 seasons of 6, then 2 1 hour specials), after which the co-creators said they had done everything they wanted to do with the series.

It is a mockumentary of a paper merchant's office in Slough, England. Following the life of the boss: David Brent. I don't want to spoil it, but if your looking for something to watch, I can't recommend something more highly.

Word of note: some of the accents can be difficult, so I say watch it with subtitles.

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't agree with your order, but I agree with your conclusion.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Heh, this was on South African TV a while ago...

I should say the humour is definitely not for everyone and it's about as far removed from American sitcoms as you get. However, I found it to be hilarious.

The David Brent character is the most realistic "I think I'm cool but I'm actually the biggest loser on earth" character ever, and that's what made it funny for me. The skinny guy (forgot his name) had some incredible moments too.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Spaced > The Office

daveymck
03-12-2005, 10:02 PM
If you like and "get" the office try and track down Pheonix Nights, a mockumentary about a british working mens club. The current big thing in the UK is a series called Little Britain, its quite good in parts is a sketch show. I suspect little britain might not work for US humour but for 20 minutes per eposiode isnt wasting your whole life.

Isnt released in the US but if you can find them on p2p or bitorrent I would give it a chance.

mason55
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best TV show (comedy) you've never heard of!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be an ass, but I think probably everyone has heard of the office.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I almost thought he was gonna say Spaced because no one has heard of this, but it is an absolutely hilarious sitcom.

Voltron87
03-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I would say if someone enjoys Curb your Enthusiasm, FG, and Seinfeld they will love The Office.

1. Seinfeld
2. FG
3. The Simpsons

are my top three. But choosing between FG and SF is tough.

Chappelle's show is only in its 2nd season, but if it continues at this rate the possibilities are endless.

As per the Daily Show, it is up there. It has some of the funniest stuff on, and it has an enormous amount of material. The con of it is some days are hit or miss, you can have 30 minute episodes where 3 minutes are the funniest stuff you've ever seen and the other 27 are meh.

mason55
03-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Married with Children? That's one of the most, if not THE most, revolutionary sitcoms ever to air.

I see this thread quickly descending into a flamewar over sitcoms.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Chappelle's show is only in its 2nd season, but if it continues at this rate the possibilities are endless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The third season is officially delayed, and I have read some things saying that a large part of it has to do with poor writing and skits filmed that in hindsight weren't funny.

No skit show in history has had consistently good seasons, I don't know why he would be the first.

MicroBob
03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best TV show (comedy) you've never heard of

[/ QUOTE ]

Wunderlust

mason55
03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
If they can't make it close to as good as the first two, they REALLLLLY shouldn't bring it back. Be Kurt Cobain instead of Steven Tyler.

CallMeIshmael
03-12-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Married with Children? That's one of the most, if not THE most, revolutionary sitcoms ever to air.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely with that. I even own (though don't ware) a No Ma'am shirt. Its just a little older, so I didn't mention it.

Also, has everyone heard of the office?

I'm Canadian, but go to Cornell, and none of my friends from either had heard of it. Also, if you watch the third DVD, they have a clip from when they won the golden globe, with someone from like access hollywood, on the red carpet, to tim, saying "and who are you?" because they didn't know who he was.

mason55
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, has everyone heard of the office?

I'm Canadian, but go to Cornell, and none of my friends from either had heard of it. Also, if you watch the third DVD, they have a clip from when they won the golden globe, with someone from like access hollywood, on the red carpet, to tim, saying "and who are you?" because they didn't know who he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I don't know, I just feel like I've heard of the office about half a million times. I bet the average american hasn't heard of it, but I bet 95% of the people on this board have, as stuff like that tends to spread very quickly. ESPECIALLY in OOT, where everyone is pretty much a pop culture whore. Look at the 80 posts in the thread about 50 vs. Jadakiss.

Voltron87
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The third season is officially delayed, and I have read some things saying that a large part of it has to do with poor writing and skits filmed that in hindsight weren't funny.

No skit show in history has had consistently good seasons, I don't know why he would be the first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I did include an "if" in my post. Chappelle is a seriously funny dude, I definitely think he can do another good season.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah I was just commenting on the fact that you said 'if', and was responding that there may be trouble in paradise for Chappelle.

mason55
03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? All I can find about delays chalk it up to him being sick and getting a late start on writing.

mmbt0ne
03-12-2005, 10:33 PM
They're trying to bring The Office to America. Stephen Colbert is lined up for the David Brent-esque roll. I'm not excited.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're trying to bring The Office to America. Stephen Colbert is lined up for the David Brent-esque roll. I'm not excited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the show is made by that actor.

__Q__
03-12-2005, 11:17 PM
The Office is great, but have you guys been watching Trailer Park Boys. Also excellent.

CallMeIshmael
03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Office is great, but have you guys been watching Trailer Park Boys. Also excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you from? Is it available outside Canada?

__Q__
03-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Chicago suburbs. They air it on BBC america.