PDA

View Full Version : Favorite stout?

emil3000
03-12-2005, 08:52 PM
My latest passion is Samuel Adams Cream Stout, which I have just poured up. Such a fullbodied, yet very smooth creation. Slightly too non-alcoholic, only at 4,7%. I mean you can get drunk, but it takes some effort.

Other favorites are Murphy's Double Chocolate, and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Murphy's is the only chocolaty beer that I've ever truly loved. Guinness Forein Extra stout differs from the Extra Stout by 2% ethanol, also it is way more packed with taste. It might be the biggest tasting beer I've ever tried.

I think Guiness' Draught is pathetic in comparison to the other stouts produced by this company. It's introduction to all the bars in sweden means the good Guinness stouts are never available, which pisses me off.

Please share your favorite stout in the form of a poem.

(First OOT-topic. If flaming is deemed necessary that would be fun.)

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 09:30 PM
A Poem.

Old Rasputin is excellent stout.

Avery Imperial Stout is excellent stout.

Breakfast Stout is another excellent stout.

Guinness and Murphy's are passable if your taste buds have been killed by excessive masturbation.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Your last line rules out the validity of your first 3 lines. You think Guinness is a bad stout? Get a clue.

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 09:41 PM
OP wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
(First OOT-topic. If flaming is deemed necessary that would be fun.)

[/ QUOTE ]

So I did. No, Guinness is fine, it is just absolutely standard--not a lot of interesting things going on. Its not bad beer per se, but it is nothing special. Thus it could never be my "favorite."

Get a clue? I have a literal bounty of clues.

bholdr
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Obsidian stout from Dechutes Brewery- black as midnight, 6.7% by vol, rich and roasty with a hint of coffee, with just the slightest possible touch of choclate... mmmmm...

speaking of choclate... Rouge's shakespere stout is another good one. not as roasty as obsidian, not as thick or high % either, but very sweet and flavorful.

Sam smith's Imperial stout is another excellent one, a little too sweet for my tastes, but i do love that once in a while.

Bridgeport blackstrap stout is a good one too, if you like the nutty/ roasty side of things. not terribly smooth, but very tasty. a little dry.

here's a good list of stouts (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/158/0)

Unfourtunatly, i had to give up stout for this winter. There has been no ski season around here, and lacking a proper outlet for all the calories, dark beer is now a treat and not a daily habit.

cheers.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Fair enough, taste is opinion.

I would say though that Guinness is the best stout of all the many I have tasted. The reason quite possibly is the flavor isn't trying to do anything special, and that is what I like in a good beer.

jason_t
03-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or Imperial Stout, in that order.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, any Sam Smiths beer is a real treat, if you are willing to pay the price. I think I paid 12 bucks for a 4 pack of oatmeal stout once. But really good stuff.

StevieG
03-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Guinness, Beamish, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout

nails
03-13-2005, 05:31 AM
You guys have hit on some of the best ones (IMO) -- Old Rasputin, Obsidian, Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout -- but I would add Victory Storm King Imperial Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and AleSmith Speedway Stout. All of them are big beers, but damn tasty.

ethan
03-13-2005, 05:36 AM
I'll second the recommendation of the Speedway Stout (http://www.alesmith.com/ales/speedway1.html). Currently one of my favorites.

Arsene Lupin III
03-13-2005, 08:32 AM
I liked the sammy adam's chocolate stout.. the one with the big pewtery label..

Ulysses
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
OK, this is a silly question probably. Chocolate stouts. Do they taste chocolatey or is that just a name?

BOTW
03-13-2005, 09:59 AM
They usually taste pretty chocolatey. Most are a little bitter or burnt tasting, but in a good way. Guinness has some hints of chocolate milk, while some of these are like dark Godiva. (Guinness is the best widely available beer, bar none.)

ethan
03-13-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, this is a silly question probably. Chocolate stouts. Do they taste chocolatey or is that just a name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of them won't taste particularly chocolatey. They'll be rich, maybe a little bitter, and generally good, but low on chocolate. On the other end of the scale is Rogue's (http://www.rogue.com/brews.html#chocolate) chocolate stout, which is rather sweet and heavily chocolate-flavored. I like both.

I believe the "chocolate" simply refers to the way the malt is roasted, and doesn't necessarily imply that the beer contains actual chocolate. As best I can recall, the same is true for oatmeal stout, but I could be wrong on that one.

JackWilson
03-13-2005, 10:46 AM
So like...what does a stout taste like? We only get one stout in South Africa (that I'm aware of) and I've never had it because, well, it's just not part of my cultural upbringing shall we say. (I don't want to sound racist)

Compare to normal beer.

jakethebake
03-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm going with JaketheBake's Famous Homebrewed Blackberry Stout. Good stuff! Especially on the occasions that I can manage to bump the alcohol content over 10% w/o ruining it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
03-13-2005, 02:58 PM
I was just in the packy, saw the Sam Adams Cream Stout, remembered this thread, and bought a six pack. You are right, it is excellent, and I shall now finish the other 5.

daveymck
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I used to goto beer festivals and have had some disgusting stouts.

The worst was made by Timmy Taylor was about 15% proof and tasted of treacle.

Sam Smiths I dont know they have the most old disgusting pubs around so have never tried their stout. I find Guiness disgusting although is is meant to be better in Ireland.

diddle
03-13-2005, 04:04 PM
because of your iron maiden avatar ill let that slide

pshreck
03-13-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just in the packy, saw the Sam Adams Cream Stout, remembered this thread, and bought a six pack. You are right, it is excellent, and I shall now finish the other 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than enjoying some variety, I dont see why you would buy this over Guinness.

emil3000
03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Variety is very valuable actually. This stout has a totally different character than guinness, in my opinion.

emil3000
03-13-2005, 04:38 PM
In case any of you are in sweden, or you somehow decide to import beer, you should definitely try the "Nils Oscar Imperial Stout". I can't believe I forgot about that one.

emil3000
03-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it most often refers to the roasting of the malt. The "Double" in Young's double chocolate stout means that it has the chocolaty roasting, and also chocolaty flavor added in some other way, which I cannot remember now.

BruinEric
03-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Just to add a tidbit...the supremely highly regarded Alesmith Speedway Stout is available ON DRAUGHT at two Orange County, CA locations at this very moment:
-Hollingshead's Deli in Orange
-Newport Beach Brewing Co. in Newport Beach, CA

Both of these establishments rotate specialty beers, so drink it up while it's there! The Speedway Stout is also available in bottles (750ml for $9.95) at Hollingshead's as well.

This is a delicious product for those of us in the Southwest. The folks on the East Coast get the Victory brews.

Skjonne
03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Stout is one of my favorite types of beer, and these three I like particular much

Limfjordsporter, Thisted, Denmark
Cockney Imperial Stout, Wintercoat, Denmark
Imperial Extra Double Stout, Harveys, England

The danish ones are both made on smoked barley. Yummi!

In no particular order, but worth mentioning

La Granja Stout, Nørrebro Brewpub, Denmark
O'Hara Stout, Carlow, Ireland
A Le Coq Porter, Tartu, Estonia
Black Wych, Wychwood, England
Imperial Stout, Slotskällan, Sweden
Black Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn, USA
Porter, Baltika, Russia
Dragonhead Stout, Orkney, Scotland
Cream Stout, St Peters, England
Stout, Svaneke, Denmark
Old Style Porter, St Peters, England
Old Engine Oil, Harviestoun, Scotland
Guiness Stout, Guiness, Ireland
Beamish Stout, Beamish, Ireland

Cheers!

TMFS9
03-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Car bomb.

edtost
03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
holy [censored]. we finally found something diablo's not an expert in?

riffraff
03-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Newcastle Brown

SomethingClever
03-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Question: Are porters *completely* different than stouts?

I like Orchard Street Porter and Black Butte Porter, and would recommend them to anyone.

I also really like Guinness, though, so I guess I'm a noob. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

JPinAZ
03-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd have to say Victory Storm King is just about the best Imperial stout I've tried. Sad to say I drank my last bottle a few months ago & now no longer have any (it's not distributed here in AZ.) /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other good ones mentioned: Alesmith Speedway Stout, Old Rasputin, Deschutes Obsidion Stout

Good ones not mentioned: Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (how can you go wrong with a beer pushing 20%/vol but has no alcohol heat), Sonoran Inebriator Stout, Left Hand Imperial Stout

schwza
03-17-2005, 01:25 PM
lately i've been drinking a lot of mackeson XXX stout. it's pretty solid.

schwza
03-17-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good ones not mentioned: Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (how can you go wrong with a beer pushing 20%/vol but has no alcohol heat),

[/ QUOTE ]

i go to the brewpub when i'm in rehobeth (delaware), and i've started seeing some of their beers in liquor stores, but i haven't seen this one. can you generally find it (or any ~18% beer)?

Skjonne
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question: Are porters *completely* different than stouts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at ll. Today the two names cover the same type of beer. In the old times, I think Porter used to be top-fermented and Stout bottom-fermented but that is certainly not the case anymore

GreywolfNYC
03-17-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Poem.

Old Rasputin is excellent stout.

Avery Imperial Stout is excellent stout.

Breakfast Stout is another excellent stout.

Guinness and Murphy's are passable if your taste buds have been killed by excessive masturbation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guiness stout does not travel well. If you've ever had it in Ireland it tastes entirely different.

Skjonne
03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Newcastle Brown

[/ QUOTE ]

A Brown Ale is your favorite stout?

Hmmmm /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MortalWombat
03-17-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Guiness stout does not travel well. If you've ever had it in Ireland it tastes entirely different.

[/ QUOTE ]It must be the same for Murphy's. I was in Dublin on a one-day layover on the way back from France two years ago and had a pint of Murphy's at Gallagher's Boxty House, and it was very good. Better than anyting I had ever had in the US. Then I bought some at a local grocery store here in the US when I got home, and it was definitely different than the fresh stuff in Ireland. It seemed to be less smooth, more bitter than it was there.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best beer I ever had. After several months dry in Saudi & Kuwait during the Gulf War, our plane had a layover at the Dublin airport on the way back. We all sprinted through the airport to the nearest airport pub. That Guinness was soooo good.

asofel
03-17-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...i would ask how except I really don't want to know...

JPinAZ
03-17-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i go to the brewpub when i'm in rehobeth (delaware), and i've started seeing some of their beers in liquor stores, but i haven't seen this one. can you generally find it (or any ~18% beer)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really big beers are normally released in pretty limited quantities for a short period of time, so they can be difficult to find. Because of their high alcohol content, they require a lot more grain & hops to brew, so they are more expensive as well. My sister picked up the bottle I had at Sams Beer & Wine Superstore (or whatever it's called) in Chicago for $8. Yes, one 12 oz. bottle for $8. It's not something you have daily.

There was a strong beer festival here in Phoenix a couple months ago & they served a keg (15.5 gallons) of World Wide Stout. It emptied in about 15 minutes (the pours were 3 or 4 ounces).