PDA

View Full Version : Things you should know about Irieguy

TheAmp
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
We all know that Irieguy is a top poker player; that he is witty, bright, and is blessed with a unique sense of humor. But Irieguy means much more to me. We've just completed a 500 'Sit and go' coaching agreement, and I would like to share my experience with you.

For the past seven years I have been playing backgammon. Due to the 'poker invasion' (as we call it), backgammon action has decreased dramatically. A lot of my friends switched to poker, and according to scouting reports, the games were not only abundant, but also much easier (compared to backgammon). Thus, I decided to put away my dice for a while and to try out virtual cards instead.

I read a few poker books, listened to some good advice, and watched on line games. Then, I finally sat down to play, trying out different poker versions in search for my best game: Limit / No Limit Hold-em ring games, seven card stud, multi table and single table tournaments…you name it. Within a week it was clear that 'Sit and go' poker was my favorite game, and that it might be the only game where I was a favorite to win.

After playing a few hundred SNG's, I was winning a little bit, but didn’t really know what I was doing. Most of the time, I was just guessing. I am not the type of person that likes to ask for help, but this time I had to. Irieguy's posts convinced me he would be the best teacher I could ever ask for, so I sent him a private message. A few days later we had a long conversation on the phone, and struck a 500 SNG deal. I was surprised he trusted me to pay him: "How do you know I won't stiff you after you teach me how to play?" I asked. "I trust you" was his short reply. "This should be a special person" I said to myself. Different than almost every 'gambler' I have met so far.

I emailed Irie over a dozen SNG's for evaluation. Within a few days he sent me a detailed report, including a complete analysis of my game: leaks, strengths, and weakness. Then, he gave me specific guidelines how to improve my game, as well as general SNG concepts, strategies, and tactics. Even though Irieguy had a piece of my winnings (free roll), he suggested that I practice these guidelines on the lower buy-in tables. I was the one pushing to play higher stakes.

I sent him questions, reports, and Hand history samples. Every time I received profound insights and practical suggestions, as well as more homework…My game improved much faster than I could ever imagine. For the first time, I started to feel good about my game. Improved results at the tables were a welcomed side affect…

Before we were half way through the deal, I offered Irieguy an improved agreement. Honestly, I felt I was ripping him off…"Be good to people who are good to you, or eventually karma will bite your ass", 'Mackthefork' wrote on a previous post. I wasn’t afraid of bad karma… I just felt it was the right thing to do. Irieguy responded with a long email (as usual), explaining why he thinks our deal was fair, and how SNG poker has high built in variance that I might not recognize yet.

Irieguy is also a very sensitive person, well aware of the emotional aspects of coaching. He always knew when to let me have it, and how to cheer me up when I was down.

I've read a lot of bad luck posts lately…I am happy to tell you how fortunate I am to have gained a good friend, not just a great teacher.

S.J.

raptor517
03-12-2005, 07:09 PM
good stuff. holla

microbet
03-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Nice post, and very well written.

Irieguy's stock is already astronomical. Not that yours was low or anything, but it just took a big jump, IMHO.

zaphod
03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Nice post!

spentrent
03-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Great post. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Irieguy, if you are reading this thread, consider a business idea (if you haven't already): there are probably more players out here -- like myself -- who do not want to be backed; however, such a player may be willing to pay some sort of a subscription fee to a web forum, for the poker version of a personal trainer.

Perhaps this concept is already hiding with the aces up your sleeve?

skipperbob
03-12-2005, 08:34 PM
He's the Dude...or El Duderino, if your into long names /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TheAmp
03-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Thank you spentrent,

In case there were any doubts, this wasn't a backing deal.

Best of luck,

S.J.

skipperbob
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's the Dude...or El Duderino, if your into long names /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yugoslavian
03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me explain something to you ... it's the Dude. So that's what you call him. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino <font color="red"> if you're not into the whole brevity thing. </font>

Yugoslav

microbet
03-12-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Skip,

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
we

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
know you know how to quote a whole post.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were trying to figure out[ QUOTE ]
how to quote a partial post

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

spentrent
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you spentrent,

In case there were any doubts, this wasn't a backing deal.

Best of luck,

S.J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I don't know the correct terminology. El Duderino gave you tips and bankroll, or just tips?

The Yugoslavian
03-12-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Okay. I don't know the correct terminology. El Duderino gave you tips and bankroll, or just tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

El duderino just gave him detailed and helpful tips as well as continued feedback in support. A 'coaching' agreement vs. a 'backing' agreement.

Yugoslav

spentrent
03-12-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
El duderino just gave him detailed and helpful tips as well as continued feedback in support. A 'coaching' agreement vs. a 'backing' agreement.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I still like the website idea /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd be a customer.

skipperbob
03-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I am: but it'ds way to advanced 4 me /images/graemlins/confused.gif

skipperbob
03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

See: I just don't get it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SuitedSixes
03-12-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am way to advanced /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

iMsoLucky0
03-12-2005, 10:56 PM
You three guys have too much fun.

johnnybeef
03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or his dudeness if your into the whole brevity thing

raptor517
03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
waaaay too much fun.. i wonder what it would be like with them, some naked chiks, and a bunch of ducks.. holla

iMsoLucky0
03-13-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
waaaay too much fun.. i wonder what it would be like with them, some naked chiks, and a bunch of ducks.. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think they'd be around some naked chicks? I could see nudity, them, and ducks in the same room pretty realistically..... but when you through chicks in there, it just makes you sound crazy.

Oluwafemi
03-13-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We all know that Irieguy is a top poker player; that he is witty, bright, and is blessed with a unique sense of humor. But Irieguy means much more to me. We've just completed a 500 'Sit and go' coaching agreement, and I would like to share my experience with you.

For the past seven years I have been playing backgammon. Due to the 'poker invasion' (as we call it), backgammon action has decreased dramatically. A lot of my friends switched to poker, and according to scouting reports, the games were not only abundant, but also much easier (compared to backgammon). Thus, I decided to put away my dice for a while and to try out virtual cards instead.

I read a few poker books, listened to some good advice, and watched on line games. Then, I finally sat down to play, trying out different poker versions in search for my best game: Limit / No Limit Hold-em ring games, seven card stud, multi table and single table tournaments…you name it. Within a week it was clear that 'Sit and go' poker was my favorite game, and that it might be the only game where I was a favorite to win.

After playing a few hundred SNG's, I was winning a little bit, but didn’t really know what I was doing. Most of the time, I was just guessing. I am not the type of person that likes to ask for help, but this time I had to. Irieguy's posts convinced me he would be the best teacher I could ever ask for, so I sent him a private message. A few days later we had a long conversation on the phone, and struck a 500 SNG deal. I was surprised he trusted me to pay him: "How do you know I won't stiff you after you teach me how to play?" I asked. "I trust you" was his short reply. "This should be a special person" I said to myself. Different than almost every 'gambler' I have met so far.

I emailed Irie over a dozen SNG's for evaluation. Within a few days he sent me a detailed report, including a complete analysis of my game: leaks, strengths, and weakness. Then, he gave me specific guidelines how to improve my game, as well as general SNG concepts, strategies, and tactics. Even though Irieguy had a piece of my winnings (free roll), he suggested that I practice these guidelines on the lower buy-in tables. I was the one pushing to play higher stakes.

I sent him questions, reports, and Hand history samples. Every time I received profound insights and practical suggestions, as well as more homework…My game improved much faster than I could ever imagine. For the first time, I started to feel good about my game. Improved results at the tables were a welcomed side affect…

Before we were half way through the deal, I offered Irieguy an improved agreement. Honestly, I felt I was ripping him off…"Be good to people who are good to you, or eventually karma will bite your ass", 'Mackthefork' wrote on a previous post. I wasn’t afraid of bad karma… I just felt it was the right thing to do. Irieguy responded with a long email (as usual), explaining why he thinks our deal was fair, and how SNG poker has high built in variance that I might not recognize yet.

Irieguy is also a very sensitive person, well aware of the emotional aspects of coaching. He always knew when to let me have it, and how to cheer me up when I was down.

I've read a lot of bad luck posts lately…I am happy to tell you how fortunate I am to have gained a good friend, not just a great teacher.

S.J.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that there was'nt enough french kissing Irie in Gaucho's thread, but a simple PM and trip to the Hallmark store would've sufficed.

SuitedSixes
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not that there was'nt enough french kissing Irie in Gaucho's thread, but a simple PM and trip to the Hallmark store would've sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every day I am forced to add another name to the list of people who can permanently kiss my ass. Today is your lucky day.

Oluwafemi
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every day I am forced to add another name to the list of people who can permanently kiss my ass. Today is your lucky day.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you're an African-American, Dominican, or Puerto Rican female with measurements of 40-27-55, keep your [censored] tendencies amongst the salad-tossers you already run with. you wanna talk about which way you swing , there are plenty other websites for that.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Snap.

mackthefork
03-13-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Be good to people who are good to you, or eventually karma will bite your ass", 'Mackthefork' wrote on a previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I got quoted lol, seriously glad to hear this one worked out good for both parties.

Mack

citanul
03-13-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless you're an African-American, Dominican, or Puerto Rican female with measurements of 40-27-55, keep your [censored] tendencies amongst the salad-tossers you already run with. you wanna talk about which way you swing , there are plenty other websites for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are totally [censored] up measurements. you've clearly never met a woman.

citanul

Oluwafemi
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those are totally [censored] up measurements. you've clearly never met a woman.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

and you clearly have never met a Bootylicious woman.
step your game up and leave the string beans to Green Giant .

TheAmp
03-13-2005, 04:20 PM
I loved that line Mack...

Fixed Your Post
03-13-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP