PDA

View Full Version : How would you react if your son told you that he was gay?

slickpoppa
03-12-2005, 06:56 PM
I realize that most of the posters in this forum are young, and probably will never procreate. But hypothetically, if you had a son and on his 18 birthday he told you that he was gay, how would you react internally? I am more asking how you would feel, not what you would say to your son. Would you feel disappointed, confused, indifferent?

[censored]
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I would be bothered. I would also hope that I was understanding.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]perfect answer.

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I would like to think that I would have guessed/known by that point, but I genuinely think it would be a non-issue.

JGalt
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd be cool. Everyone needs to be happy in life and if that is what is going to make him happy, he'd have my full support. I guess this just adds to me being more gay. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
03-12-2005, 07:02 PM
the only correct answer is to kill him.

wacki
03-12-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I genuinely think it would be a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he was your only son and it meant your genetic line would come to an end?

FWIW I agree with [censored]

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, the fact that he is gay wouldn't necessarily bring my genetic line to an end. In all seriousness, my genetic line is pervaded with severe mental disorders and a plethora of cancers, plus I have multiple brothers, so I don't think this would factor in much. Even if it did, I would like to think that I would approach this as his life, rather than my genetic vanity. I'm sure there would be tepid resentment somewhere within me, but I honestly don't think it would be that big a deal.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Indifferent. Shame it reduces the chances of having biological grandchildren. Shame my boy might get discriminated against. But happy that he has "come out" which probably would mean the end to a period of mental anguish.

wacki
03-12-2005, 07:07 PM
good answer.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]I think the answers are obvious, just think about it.

youtalkfunny
03-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I'd be proud that he had the guts to tell me.

I don't think homosexuality is sinful, nor a defect, nor a choice.

I've had many gay friends. I'm not ashamed of them. I would not be ashamed of my son.

It's the hand you're dealt. Make the best of it. Make the MOST of it.

(But no holding hands or kissing in public!)

Clarkmeister
03-12-2005, 07:12 PM
My cousin's gay and other than my 80 year old grandma who doesn't know, it's a total non-issue in our family. Frankly, we all suspected when he was in his very early teens and "knew" for a few years before he "revealed" it.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]I think the answers are obvious, just think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of

i) Less likelyhood of grandkids
ii) Chance of ebing bullied

Am I missing something?

InchoateHand
03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
A close friend of ours "came out" to his mother when he was sixteen. She looked at him, laughed, and said that she "knew" for at least ten years prior to that. When he recounts the story, its particularly funny because he agonized for months about telling her, and he prepared himself for every possible reaction besides indifference.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:18 PM
those are some reasons, here are some more potential reasons.

1. Possibly feel like you failed raising your son
2. Less "manly"
3. or simply uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Basically this wouldn't be an easy thing for everyone to deal with. Ultimately though, you have to realize he is your son, and nothing changes that, so you still have to love him. It would just be hard getting use to having a gay son, IMO.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 07:21 PM
In most places (actually, all), it will make life much tougher for your child. Whether you are a bad parent and shun him, or a good parent and support him, your life will be filled with either repressing feelings or defending yourself against family members and people you thought were your friends.

America still has a long way to go.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Less "manly"

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Why? That is just silly.
2. That is just silly. I wany my kids to be good people, not "manly" or "girlish".
3. That is just silly. What has where his dick goes got to do with anything?

I think the people that have a real problem with this are likely homophobic.

RunDownHouse
03-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I would be very disappointed, feel like it was my fault somehow, and likely never act the same around him again.

Anyone that thinks they could go on acting like nothing ever happened is kidding themselves. This doesn't mean that there would be a huge scene, with him screaming, "I thought you knew me, Dad!!!" and me screaming, "I have no son!" but the relationship would forever change.

Anyone who tells themselves otherwise is idealistic or lying.

wacki
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From a purely scientific point of view, this is plain wrong.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... yeah? Homophobia is very similar to racism in the United States. Lots of people think they are not racist whatsoever, but still have some racist thoughts.

I would never call myself homophobic, but then why would I (and I would) have some issues with gay children?

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Indifferent. Shame it reduces the chances of having biological grandchildren. Shame my boy might get discriminated against. But happy that he has "come out" which probably would mean the end to a period of mental anguish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post man. Agree completely.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From a purly scientific point of view, this is plain wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe that people choose to be gay? Why the heck would someone choose to be gay in such a homophobic world?

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... yeah? Homophobia is very similar to racism in the United States. Lots of people think they are not racist whatsoever, but still have some racist thoughts.

I would never call myself homophobic, but then why would I (and I would) have some issues with gay children?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly think it is possible to have "issues" with it and not be homophobic. e.g. you don't want your son to get picked on. Not ebing concerned about this would be rather strange and disturbing. But I think that people whose concern falls along similar lines to those TSC listed are homophobic.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe that people choose to be gay? Why the heck would someone choose to be gay in such a homophobic world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means it is a defect in the same way that infertile people are genetically defect.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Less "manly"

[/ QUOTE ]

2. That is just silly. I wany my kids to be good people, not "manly" or "girlish".

[/ QUOTE ]your post illustrates severe naiveness(sp) and also shows some severe stupidity, sorry man.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Less "manly"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]your post illustrates severe naiveness(sp) and also shows some severe stupidity, sorry man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but you are wrong. I am sure that all 3 reasons you list are held by many people, but they are ridiculous and irrational views based on prejudice and preconcpetions.

wacki
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the bold letters will help you figure out what I was talking about. Genetics and all.... As far as choosing to be gay, yes there are numerous cases where people chose to be gay. Some do it for attention, or because it is a fad that they think is cool, other people (especially designers) do it for publicity. Some people will even do it for money, but that isn't exactly being gay.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't think it's homophobia. Homophobia is really a strong word to use. I think it's just ignorance.

Screwtape
03-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Most people can be accepting and considerate to those not of their sexual preference. When it's your own child it is probaly more difficult but their love for their child should overcome any ill feelings. But to say we have to be comfortable with it is ridiculous.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Is your stuff about people choosing to be gay a joike?

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:37 PM
We'll have to disagree then. I agree that people can choose to perform gay acts, but that doesn't make them gay. When a straight girl makes out with another girl at a party, that doesn't make her bi or lesbian. She's just performing a lesbian act.

This was the same issue that came up in the would you suck the guy's thing for 1 million bucks thread. I think that most people would. Everyone has a price. But if a straight guy did it to another guy for one million bucks then it wouldn't make him gay imo.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:38 PM
This stuff about the biological line being severed is not a big deal imo.

There are lots of straight people who can't have kids because of fertility issues. So they adopt. Gay people can adopt kids too in most states so the family line will still continue, just not biologically.

wacki
03-12-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but you are wrong. I am sure that all 3 reasons you list are held by many people, but they are ridiculous and irrational views based on prejudice and preconcpetions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with this. There is plenty of proof that abuse, verbal or physical, can easily cause sexual dysfunction. There were several people I grew up with that were very poorly treated as a child. Even at the age of 6 their parents/older sister would dress them up in female cloths. I remember very clearly seeing that boy in a dress when I was a child and hearing someone say "Man, that kid is going to end up being gay some day". I was so young at the time I had to ask what gay meant.

Do not underestimate the effects of abuse (verbal or physical) on a developing mind.

EDIT: Ok story is a poor arguement, but it's true. The links between abuse and dysfunction are well known though.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Wacki, you are just digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole. That's all I am going to say.

scotty34
03-12-2005, 07:48 PM
There is definetly a double standard here. You are correct that when a straight girl makes out with another girl, it doesn't make her lesbian or bi. It is however a lesbian act. On the other hand, if a guy made out with another guy at a party, there would be no question in the minds of almost everyone there that both men were gay. I am speaking about society viewing a person as gay btw, not a person's actual hormonal tendencies.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for the record, I never said I felt that way, rather that people could fell that way. As for what you said, you are starting to take this discussion down the road of right and wrong, natural and unnatural, and I don't want to discuss any of that again, but I will say one more time that your stance is totally idealistic.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:50 PM
if a guy sucked a mans dick for free, then he is atleast bi, but most likely gay.

wacki
03-12-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wacki, you are just digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole. That's all I am going to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I said in my post is 100% true.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=abuse+sexual+dysfunction&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Search

I'm sorry do we need to look up Nazi in wikipedia again?

You constantly attack what I say, but you know I my facts are 100% correct.

partygirluk
03-12-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for the record, I never said I felt that way,

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I never said you felt that way.

And there is nothing wrong with idealism. Lots of points of view that were considered "idealistic" a while back are now commonplace.

Reef
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misinterpreted, Dead. I believe original poster is referring to defect in genes. He is not talking about choice, and in any case, seems to agree with what you said.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
sorry Dead, I'll take Wacki's word over yours any day.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And there is nothing wrong with idealism. Lots of points of view that were considered "idealistic" a while back are now commonplace.

[/ QUOTE ] well... I will just agree to disagree with you. IMO, Idealism is equal to putting on the blinders, sorry. And that was not meant as an attack on you.

Dead
03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Cracka I don't care.

You made some comment that had nothing to do with my post about how if a guy sucked a dude's dick for free than he's bi or certainly gay. I would agree that it's probably true. But 1 million dollars can make people do things that they normally wouldn't do.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you call it a defect? From a purely JackWilson point of view, that is plain wrong.

EDIT: As for the topic of the thread - I'm never having children so...

Dead
03-12-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I said in my post is 100% true.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=abuse+sexual+dysfunction&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Search

I'm sorry do we need to look up Nazi in wikipedia again?

You constantly attack what I say, but you know I my facts are 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I don't doubt any of those facts. I don't doubt that sexually abusing a child will make them more likely to have sexual dysfunctions later in life, but homosexuality is not a dysfunction.

What exactly are you saying?

wacki
03-12-2005, 08:04 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=genetics

Definition 1.

Bump-en-Stein
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize that most of the posters in this forum are young, and probably will never procreate. But hypothetically, if you had a son and on his 18 birthday he told you that he was gay, how would you react internally? I am more asking how you would feel, not what you would say to your son. Would you feel disappointed, confused, indifferent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be unaffected. I would be so busy looking for the real father, I would not have time to worry.

I would be a little worried about how to tell him that we still can't find his real father, but we will keep trying.

He might be shocked and hurt because he might feel I should have told him sooner that I wasn't his real father, but I was just trying to protect him.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
homosexuality is not a dysfunction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=genetics

Definition 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even bother reading my post? There's a difference between genetic traits and genetic defects.

wacki
03-12-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are you saying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nature vs. Nurture.

A child's brain changes rapidly. Believe it or not, the way you raise a child will have significant influence on not only the childs sexuality but behavior, intelligence, etc. Children that learn languages before the age of 12 (I think that's the right number) have no problems with pronunciation. This is due to the fact that neurons are rapidly linking and crosslinking to adapt to the childs environment. As you get older this slows down but still continues. Even something as simple as the colors of the ceiling above a childs cradle can have a significant impact on a childs developing brain. All of this is beyond debate.

From what I know about brain chemistry, I have no doubt that it is possible to raise a child in an environment that has such a pronounced impact on a child that he/she ends up being gay, while if that same child was raised in a different, environment it would end up straight. I will even go as far to say this can happen to a statistically significant portion of the general population. I will not comment on what proportion it does happen to.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again from a purely scientific (genetics, darwinism, evolution, etc.) point of view it is a dysfunction. That of course is unless if you consider homosexuality to be similar to apoptosis, then it is a safety mechanism. But I do not think that is the case.

wacki
03-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Geez communication breakdown.

Procreation, genetic line, evolution, darwinism, heredity, etc.

Look at all those words and try to figure out what i mean by dysfunction.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:18 PM
LOL, dysfunction? Name 1 way in which gay and straight people differ other than sexual preference. Ok, now tell me if people who prefer interracial sex are dysfunctional from a PURELY SCIENTIFIC POINT OF VIEW.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Name 1 way in which gay and straight people differ other than sexual preference.

[/ QUOTE ] they can make babies naturally.

Jack of Arcades
03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez communication breakdown.

Procreation, genetic line, evolution, darwinism, heredity, etc.

Look at all those words and try to figure out what i mean by dysfunction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted so Jack W can read it again.

As for me, if my son came out, it wouldn't change a damned thing. I also don't have a son.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:22 PM
No, you're missing the point.

I didn't say, name something that a straight couple can do that a gay couple can't.

wacki
03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, now tell me if people who prefer interracial sex are dysfunctional from a PURELY SCIENTIFIC POINT OF VIEW.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, from a purely scientific point of view, interracial sex is more advantageous than noninterracial sex because it increases the gene pool and genetic diversity. Therefore it increases the chance of survival of the species.

Do not let your emotions block your ability to think logically.

Eurotrash
"Maybe we shouldn't have let him take baths with his little brother as a boy, after all.."

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]
No, you're missing the point.

I didn't say, name something that a straight couple can do that a gay couple can't.

[/ QUOTE ] I know, you said " Name 1 way in which gay and straight people differ other than sexual preference. ", and I told you one way.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do not let your emotions block your ability to think logically.

[/ QUOTE ] I think it is impossible for a majority of people from both camps to think logicaly about this topic.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Stop being so ignorant and try using your brain.

A straight man can't make babies on his own. Neither can a gay man. With a woman, either one can make babies. One's preference is not to.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop being so ignorant

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A straight man can't make babies on his own. Neither can a gay man. With a woman, either one can make babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wacki
03-12-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A straight man can't make babies on his own. Neither can a gay man. With a woman, either one can make babies. One's preference is not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that's why so many gay couples are trying to adopt or get artificial insemination/surrogate mothers.

Roy Munson
I would ask him for interior decorating advice.

wacki
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTT!!!!

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that's why so many gay couples are trying to adopt or get artificial insemination/surrogate mothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, NEVERMIND.

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Jack, as you are somewhat new to the forum I don't know much about you, so whatever your stance is on homosexuality I respect that. I realize my stance may seem harsh or even homophobic, but truth be told its neither of those. I have zero problem with gay people, nor do I descriminate against anyone because they are gay, its their life. However, I try to look at situations of gay/straight discussions logically. Its hard though because it is such an emotional topic, and one which is very hard to discuss civily. I mean no disrespect to you or your stance, sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Dead
03-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Just keep that avatar and all will be good.

Duke
03-12-2005, 08:49 PM
It depends on how you define gay. If it's a casual man-on-man banging or whatever, then it's just a choice and not a defect. If it's a deep psychological and physical inability to copulate with a woman, then that has to be one.

You can figure out why if you try.

~D

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jack, as you are somewhat new to the forum I don't know much about you, so whatever your stance is on homosexuality I respect that. I realize my stance may seem harsh or even homophobic, but truth be told its neither of those. I have zero problem with gay people, nor do I descriminate against anyone because they are gay, its their life. However, I try to look at situations of gay/straight discussions logically. Its hard though because it is such an emotional topic, and one which is very hard to discuss civily. I mean no disrespect to you or your stance, sorry if it seemed otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I just thought you and Wacki were missing what I was trying to say completely.

I guess all these "gay" threads were just starting to hit a bit close to home. Heh, funny story...I came out to my dad not long ago and we had multiple epic fights about it, how it's not normal etc (things in South Africa aren't quite as liberal as America from what I've heard) and I've basically been arguing against it being a dysfunction for a long time...so yeah,

Apologies for flying off at you.

Lawrence Ng
03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

R U GAY CUZ IT'S A OK.

Lawrence

Dead
03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I figured that you were based on your passion for this issue displayed in different threads. But of course I wasn't going to say anything.

Take care.

-Dead

wacki
03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on how you define gay. If it's a casual man-on-man banging or whatever, then it's just a choice and not a defect. If it's a deep psychological and physical inability to copulate with a woman, then that has to be one.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, kind of. A homosexual still won't be able to include it's mate selection process in the procreation process even if he has sex with a member of the opposite sex. You have to fight to get the mate with the best genes.

Duke
03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTT!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that stands for "Potht of the day."

~D

wacki
03-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Post of this thread.

Niwa
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

R U GAY CUZ IT'S A OK.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Duke
03-12-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, kind of. A homosexual still won't be able to include it's mate selection process in the procreation process even if he has sex with a member of the opposite sex. You have to fight to get the mate with the best genes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we work on the verbiage we can frame it so that anyone who says that gayness is not a defect is actually saying that homosexuals are inhuman. I love to flip the tables on leftists (in this case I'm just referring to people who start screaming at the inclination that anything that's not normal actually is not normal).

To make it clear, I could care less if someone is gay. Yeah, it might be uncomfortable to turn them down or whatever if they're making advances, but I have the same problem with fat chicks so it's a wash.

~D

Duke
03-12-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Post of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops - my harmless gay joke backfired since I didn't convert day -> thread.

Potht of this thread, then.

~D

wacki
03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Just a FYI

I posted a very controversial subject about gay people in politics. It is a serious question that will hit the gay community in 20 years or so. I highly encourage all gay people/gay rights activists to go to this thread.

Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1914008&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

astroglide
03-12-2005, 09:32 PM
i'd be sad that his life was going to be unfairly complicated but i would be fine with it. and i would still misuse the word 'gay'.

Mark H
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Mine did. I didnt take it very well at first (im glad I heard it throgh my wife first). We have a large fairly close extended family. Tyey are very religious ,catholic and lutheran. I did what I always try to do and read a lot about it. One of the things that helped me was something I read about imageining yourself being attracted to someone of the same sex. After Ifigured out I couldnt be I decided it was something you couldnt control I became very comfortable with it. I am happy to report that everyone in my extended family has accepted it too. We have a close relationship now

Mark H

gamblore99
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i would be understanding. If he was an only son, I would be dissapointed with no grandchildren and my genetic line being discontinued.

Ulysses
03-12-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Less "manly"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I disagree completely. I have a number of gay friends. I go drinking with them. We hang out. When some sports team we are rooting wins the game in the last second, we hug. I have no problem with the fact that they are gay.

But at some level the idea of two guys having sex bothers me. I find it hard to believe that that isn't really the case for just about any straight guy.

lighterjobs
03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
this would be better if it were a poll.

Slacker13
03-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I do have a son and I would be sick if he dropped that on me but I certainly would not disown him or anything, but I would be very disappointed and to be totally truthful I probably could never be around him and his lover at the same time.

BoxTree
03-12-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is your stuff about people choosing to be gay a joike?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two friends who are identical twins. One is straight. One is gay.

Sexuality is affected by nature and nurture (says me).

Dead
03-12-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that that isn't really the case for just about any straight guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't bother me, and I'm straight. It's not like I'm the one doing it, so why should it? It's consensual behavior done in the privacy of their homes, so why should it bother you?

ThaSaltCracka
03-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Keep your head up bro (no pun inteaded), and I have nothing against your lifestyle. i hope the best for you.

wacki
03-13-2005, 12:52 AM
JackWilson I share pretty much the same opinion as TSC. Take care, and I wish you the best of luck.

Utah
03-13-2005, 12:57 AM
I would feel a bit bad because it would make his life more difficult and I would hate that for him. Other than that, I wouldnt care one bit and it certainly wouldnt change how I felt about him.

Jules22
03-13-2005, 06:01 AM
im sorry to hear about your son, also i would banish him from my life and spend lots of time saying "I HAVE NO SON!!1"

partygirluk
03-13-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Less "manly"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I disagree completely. I have a number of gay friends. I go drinking with them. We hang out. When some sports team we are rooting wins the game in the last second, we hug. I have no problem with the fact that they are gay.

But at some level the idea of two guys having sex bothers me. I find it hard to believe that that isn't really the case for just about any straight guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if I think about my parents having sex, that is one of the most repulsive things possible. But it doesn't concern me in any way.

Arsene Lupin III
03-13-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So any genetic aberration from any genomic line is a defect? What about the defect that increases the presence of a certain antibody in one's body tenfold? Is this a defect by definition? Is it a defect after it saves the person's life in a hypothetical contagious diseases that kills 90% of the population?

Being gay doesn't mean an end to one's genetic line on Earth. Your gay son could find some wacky lesbian couple that will have a baby for him and his partner or something. He could donate sperm. He could even find a woman he likes just as much as a guy.

The very fact that there are homosexuals producing a (per capita) miniscule number of offspring may be actually GOOD for a biological species or simply a national community.
Perhaps homosexuality is a hybrid genetic/psychosocial phenomena that is intended to reduce the overall population of a species, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps it's just the result of the numerous layers of abstraction the developing world has introduced between survival and sex. Since the invention of prophylactics, sex was no longer simply associated solely with reproduction, mating, etc..

Hell, look at all the other types of non-procreative sexual activities we have nowadays.. That includes sex with one's own hand!

So do I feel it's a defect? I don't know whether or not it is. There isn't enough data to prove that its presence has been detrimental to society. Do I feel it's unnatural? Well.. people do it, so I guess not. Perhaps 'abnormality' fits, simply because it's not a majority behavior.. But that opens the door of calling lefthandedness, having red hair, or any phenotypic minority as an "abnormality."

Arsene Lupin III
03-13-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you think kirua = sexy biatch.

Aytumious
03-13-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd break out the lubies...

JackWilson
03-13-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you think kirua = sexy biatch.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO...yeah, I happen to think he is very cute in a weird way.

Phat Mack
03-13-2005, 05:00 PM
My son isn't gay, but he IS a Cubs fan. It was something I knew before he announced it: the caps; the jerseys; the baseball cards; flicking on the TV in the evening and finding it tuned to WGN. (Talk about the advent of cable promoting the corruption of American youth.)

I still love my son. It's the way he is. Furthermore, it is his right to be a Cubs fan, or no fan at all, for that matter.

But still, for a long time, I asked myself questions. Was this my fault? Where did I go wrong? And finally: What did I do to deserve this?