PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 NL: an interesting turn of events

neon
03-12-2005, 06:56 PM
10-20 NL on Prima. Play is six-handed.

Hero is CO w/ 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Folded around to hero, I make it $80 to go. I've been raising w/ lots of different types of hands in position, have been showing bluffs, and def. have a laggy image.

SB folds, villain calls in BB. Previous hand against villain, I made it $80 from the button w/ K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, villain decided to get cute w/ AA and flat called, flop came three diamonds (he didn't have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif), and I stacked him when he came over the top on a brick turn.

Flop is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Villain checks, I bet $145 (pot is ~$170), villain calls.

Turn is the 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Villain bets $300 . . .

Hero?

Kaz The Original
03-12-2005, 07:02 PM
In these situations, I always think about SS's line about your kicker being pretty decent.

Stack sizes? I probably flat call this.

neon
03-12-2005, 07:05 PM
oops, I have ~$5k and villain has ~$1,800.

AZK
03-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I like a smooth call here too...He could be doing this with so many hands but he is only going to call/reraise when he has you beat. I don't think it's diamonds, could be a hand like JJ-99 looking to slow you down, could also very well be a set, if he is good though, he would have priced you in with a set if he put you on diamonds...

Ulysses
03-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I go all-in.

radioheadfan
03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Raise it to $750. Think about laying down if he comes over the top all in. Take a free showdown if he just calls your turn raise. Call a river bet if he leads into you.

AZK
03-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Do you want a call here? What range of hands do you think villian will call with? Are you doing this because of your image or...?

cwl
03-12-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you want a call here? What range of hands do you think villian will call with? Are you doing this because of your image or...?

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant speak for mr. diablo but the appeal of going allin here for me is that:
1) shuts out a potential flush draw
2) gives us a good chance to win the max from opponents potential pocket pair. if the villian has a weak overpair there are about a million cards that could kill the action on the river and pushing now gives him a chance to talk himself into a call. my experience is that one of the most common mistakes players make is getting in too deep with moderately strong hands, like a mid pair on this board. pushing gives him a chance to make that mistake.

i think calling has merit if its very likely that the villian is flailing away with nothing and will take a shot on the river. given that he check/called the flop i think this is less likely than him having something, either a pair or a draw. against either of those i think pushing is better.

turnipmonster
03-13-2005, 02:36 AM
I think this is a pretty easy push. flat calling is very suspicious and he can easily put you on a resteal and call an allin with not a lot. apparently he thinks you shouldn't have a 7 here /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Matt Flynn
03-13-2005, 03:35 AM
would the bettor bet many hands there? if yes, you paid for your lag image now take your due. any other move is baaad unless the bettor would not bet without the goods.

matt

Ulysses
03-13-2005, 03:45 AM
cwl = smart.

psuasskicker
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Without the flush and the straight draw on the board, I'd like calling better. In that case, you're either crushed, or crushing him, so it's better to let him bluff at you the whole way. He's trying to represent top pair that can now beat an overpair. Let him keep representing the whole way.

But with both a flush and straight draw on the board, I don't like the call. I don't know that you want to shut out a flush or straight draw, I'd like it better if he called with one of those hands cause you're a huge favorite against them. But I don't think you want to let him off easy with the good draws that are around.

I'm moving in.

- C -

iceman5
03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Your right, most people dont reraise with JJ....unless they are trying to isolate someone they know might raise 64s.

Also, since he reraised preflop he could have AA or KK as well as JJ. I dont think you want to play a monster pot there when you both have more than double stacks.

ggbman
03-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I think you need to pop this, clearly the villian is capable of playing medium/big pairs this way, hence the AA hand, and if your image is laggish as you say here, i think you are good way more often than not.