PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to Play a Step 5?

EdgePort
03-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey,

I won my way up from step 1 to step 5 today and was wondering when is the best time to take my shot at a step 5? At the same time, anyone willing to look at my hand history for the step 4 and 3 touraments, to give some advice PM me.

poker-penguin
03-13-2005, 11:42 AM
See the thread "people to avoid in Step 5".

Whenever they are not playing would be a good time.

skipperbob
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
IMO - the best time to play is when you are in the best frame of mind....Just won a couple other SnG's; then go for it...Make sure that you will have an hour without any disruptions....No wifey, no kids, no friends, no boss..Don't play more than one table...Devote all your concentration....Don't play crap hands = Ax,small pp's, don't speculate....No matter what action you take, know for sure what you are going to do in the face of a big bet behind you....Repeat: make sure that you won't be distracted
Play when you're fresh and upbeat...Play tight/aggressive not tight/weak...G/L /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EdgePort
03-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I played my first step 5 and this advice is dead on. Since I was a little intimidated to start off, I played extremely tight in the beginning until I got a feel for the table. I also made sure that I had absolutely no distractions for it. Closed my web broswer, chat program as I am usually surfing and chating while playing. Concentrating on one tournament is a big change but it also made me realize that I need to pay more attention when I am multitabling.

I still only played quality hands. I think that helped my table image as I only ever showed down strong hands, and this allowed me to steal some blinds later on as people folded to my raises. I also got lucky when a player bet into my pocket Qs and allowed me to double up. I was a coinflip away from second that I lost but was very happy.

I also tried to take a table that didn't have any of the names mentioned in that tread. Once it had started I did a search for each player to see who were the ones that were multitabling figuring they were likely to be stronger players. Also helped that I had two guys I had seen in my step 4 and had a much better idea of how they played.

Oluwafemi
03-13-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played my first step 5 and this advice is dead on. Since I was a little intimidated to start off, I played extremely tight in the beginning until I got a feel for the table. I also made sure that I had absolutely no distractions for it. Closed my web broswer, chat program as I am usually surfing and chating while playing. Concentrating on one tournament is a big change but it also made me realize that I need to pay more attention when I am multitabling.

I still only played quality hands. I think that helped my table image as I only ever showed down strong hands, and this allowed me to steal some blinds later on as people folded to my raises. I also got lucky when a player bet into my pocket Qs and allowed me to double up. I was a coinflip away from second that I lost but was very happy.

I also tried to take a table that didn't have any of the names mentioned in that tread. Once it had started I did a search for each player to see who were the ones that were multitabling figuring they were likely to be stronger players. Also helped that I had two guys I had seen in my step 4 and had a much better idea of how they played.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, if you came in 3rd in the $1065 Step after winning your way up from Step 1, then congrats. you made a nice profit. if you're a normally a $10 + $1 player [not saying i know what level you play], then this is a nice cushion for your bankroll.

EdgePort
03-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Yes, I usually play the 11s with a few 22s in there when I feel up to it. The win makes me feel much safer about my bankroll, and I can now play at my level without worrying about the variance at all. It is a nice feeling. I am hoping to move up to the 22s in the near future but want to get a bit better first.

$DEADSEXE$
03-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Again..this is probally good advice but I played it exactly the opposite. I only viewed it as a $12 investment so I played it very loose, bluffed with any limpers into pots etc...the majority of the tables are pretty tight. I had watched them for about an hour so I had a good idea who not to play with or make any moves agaisnt.
plus watch the level 4 tables....if there are alot of them running wait till several clear..you'll often get the winners going straight to the Level 5's and then turning super tight.

Doubled up with in 15 hands playing aggressive with suited connectors...got to 2800 by the time we were at 25/50....but then got a run of shitty cards and had my KK's broken by AQo short stacking me...finished 3rd.