PDA

View Full Version : SF neighborhood question

NotMitch
03-12-2005, 03:05 PM
SOMA or Russian hill? Have found 2 places I like, one in each just need to figure out which is better. I'm leaving the detials out because I'm short on time and just would like thoughts on each, thanks.

LAGmaniac
03-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Russian Hill is way nicer than SOMA, I'd be shocked if you you were getting similar prices on apartments in those two areas. There's really no comparison. SOMA is an industrial area that has had an influx of new live/work lofts built there. It's noisy, grimy, no trees, 5 lane one way streets with lots of traffic. It sucks. Russian Hill is residential, much less traffic... have you ever seen pictures of Lombard St. that crooked S-shaped st.? That's in Russian Hill, very desirable area.

Ulysses
03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SOMA or Russian hill? Have found 2 places I like, one in each just need to figure out which is better. I'm leaving the detials out because I'm short on time and just would like thoughts on each, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people, Russian Hill is the right answer. I have lived in SOMA for years and love it, though.

Russian Hill has much more of a neighborhood feel for it. SOMA has gotten a lot more stuff around here ever since the ballpark, though. One huge SOMA advantage is that it is generally sunny much more often than Russian Hill. SOMA is still a little too urban-feeling for a lot of people, though.

Luzion
03-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I have lived in the Russian Hill area for almost my whole life; a bit over 22 years. It definitely has more of a "neighborhood" feel while SOMA feels more urban and modern.

I think it comes down to the specifics. Where do you work, how will you get there, and what area of SOMA and Russian Hill are you talking about? Theres quite a difference in the Russian Hill area where I lived, which was closer to North Beach and Chinatown, then the middle of Russian Hill or the area close by to Pacific Heights.

NotMitch
03-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback, hoping to wrap something up today, I post results later.

M2d
03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
as a pretty long time bay area resident (10+ years), I have to chime in here: don't forget access out of the city. SOMA makes it easy to get out of dodge. driving inside the city blows.
also, if you fish, there are a couple of good sleeper spots right near the SOMA area.
Don't forget baseball season, though. traffic in the SOMA area can really suck around game time.

NotMitch
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Here is what I seem to have learned so far from the posts and what I saw this past weekend.

SOMA is much more modern and urban. However is seemed kind of dead at night (the places I looked at were around 1st, 2nd and 3rd & Folsom), was I just in the wrong area for things going on at night?

Russian Hill seems more neighborhoodish (like everyone has said) and I was staying out there with a friend in the general area and we walked to around to some local places that seemed fun.

I'll be working downtown (150 California I think), so SOMA would be much closer. I will have a car (that I need to find off street parking for) because I like to get out of the city to golf and have the freedom to just leave when I want to. Unfortunately the place I wanted in Russian Hill has rented so now Im faced with the prospect of going with a 2nd or 3rd choice which sucks. Finding a place from far away is really a hassle.

M2d
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
have you thought of the millbrae area? it's the end of the bart line, so you'll get to work easily. Poplar creek and crystal springs are in the area, and it's pretty easy to get to the east bay for some muni golfing. it's also pretty easy to get to the GGB (during off peak hours) so you'll have easy access to marin/napa golfing. plus, AJ's is right there in san bruno and LC's is there in colma, so you'd have easy access to B&M poker.
also, there's a driving range in burlingame that's pretty empty most times, and foster city (about ten miles south) has a nice practice facility.

if golfing is a priority and you have to live in the city, i'd still go with soma. mission bay is right there and the ease of getting out of the city can't be beat.
I wouldn't worry about the nightlife where you live. cabs run pretty frequently all around the city, and you don't really want to live in a party area anyway. nothing like being woken up at 2AM by screaming drunks passing below your bedroom window.

NotMitch
03-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Im pretty commited to living in the city, at least at first. I dont think I would be getting the whole experience by living outside it.

I was at LC's yesterday and it seems like the cards on the west coast hate me (they hate me in AC too but love me in Vegas. Go figure). I just called about a place in SOMA that is in a good location and it short term so if I wind up getting it I will have a good chance to get a feel for life there and figure it out from there. Thanks for all the info.

Ulysses
03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't forget baseball season, though. traffic in the SOMA area can really suck around game time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Traffic is surprisingly actually not very bad around game time. Putting the parking lots where they did was great.

Ulysses
03-14-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However is seemed kind of dead at night (the places I looked at were around 1st, 2nd and 3rd & Folsom), was I just in the wrong area for things going on at night?

[/ QUOTE ]

How late? Weeknights things are usually slowing down by 10:30 or so and dead by midnight. There's some stuff on the Embarcadero, a bunch of stuff further up Folsom (some spots starting at 4th or so, a lot of stuff at 11th), and more and more stuff as you get closer to the ballpark.

[ QUOTE ]
we walked to around to some local places that seemed fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there are a ton of great local hangout places on Polk.

Good luck.

NotMitch
03-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Wound up in the Fort Mason area for the time being. Not ideal but I can leave with 30 days notice and Im sure looking for places will be a lot easier. Hope to see you guys at LCs.

sam h
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Maybe you should also check out the Mission. Its got a lot of nightlife, is an easy Bart ride downtown to work and has good freeway access.