PDA

View Full Version : PL Omaha8 .25/.50 blind PP, folded best hand in large pot

09-28-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty new to Omaha8, but I've started playing it because I've heard that it's littered with fish, and I've been a steady loser at hold'em for a long time regardless of how many books I read.

In this hand, I'm dealt AAc5c4 on the button. I'm prepared to go all in at this point. (Question: Would you always be willing to put in the maximum before the flop with AAxx?). 3 limpers, someone raises to a dollar, 2 callers, and I raise the pot. Two callers, and someone raises all in with three dollars more. Four people call, including me. I'd like to raise more, but it won't let me, I guess because the guy raised all-in? If it had allowed me, should I have raised the pot again?

50 dollars and 5 players (4 live) in the pot. Flop comes QT7 rainbow. Check, bet $6, call... I think for a while and fold. The people still in have $30 to $70 left in front of them (I have $60). At this point, I'm thinking that all I have is a measly pair against four others, and I may very well have to put the rest of my stack in to see the end. So I folded. Should I have called? Raised?

The remaining three live guys ended up putting in $38 dollars more each. The winner had a pair of tens. I would've taken it. How was my play?

Ignatius
09-28-2002, 03:47 PM
> If it had allowed me, should I have raised the pot again?

Yes, esp. as this would virtually put you all-in and you're pretty much a guranteed favorite, no matter if you end up heads-up or multi-way.

> Would you always be willing to put in the maximum before the flop with AAxx?

No. Not all AAXX hands are created equal and other factors (stack size, no. of players, etc.) also play a role. I would always move in preflop on a couple of loose pls. with single suited aces + 2 wheel cards, however.

> Flop comes QT7 rainbow. Check, bet $6, call... I think for a while and fold.

Good fold for the correct reasons.

> The winner had a pair of tens. I would've taken it.

Against such loose opposition, you can easily afford to wait until you are huge favorite before you move your chips.

cu

Ignatius

09-29-2002, 12:00 PM
My feeling in this situation is you must take one off. A $6 bet in a $50 pot - great pot odds. Think of the possibilities - 2 or 3 now gives you basically open ended straight draws as well as low draws, an A give you top set (although probably makes A hi st8 - but low and full house redraws. Even if there the board pairs, you might then have the best hand and again, full house draws to a scooper. You also did not say if the flop included 1 of your flush suits - adding value through a back door flush draw. Just MHO