PDA

View Full Version : Is there life beyond the Party15-30

Nomar
03-12-2005, 11:32 AM
When I first started reading this forum a couple years ago the "mid-high stakes" forum was interesting with a variety of live hands being played / posted. Now everyhand I read (or began to read) involves party 15 and VPIP's.

I personally put in more than my fair share of hours 4 tabling Party 15, but I am tired of reading hands involving that game and wish they were in a seperate forum, thrn Mid-High would return to its old state of interesting mid-high stakes poker hands.

daryn
03-12-2005, 11:46 AM
heh, i hate that too. every post starts with:

"ok so mp2 raises, he is a 23521.5.5/519 ..."

lil'
03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
ok so mp2 raises, he is a 23521.5.5/519

I pretty much disregard any post that starts with Pokertracker stats.

Turning Stone Pro
03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
agreed. no one here can honestly tell me they would change how they played a hand (profitably) if the opponent's VIP is 29 or 22 or 19 or 30.

TSP

TStoneMBD
03-12-2005, 12:26 PM
ive posted hands from turningstone 20/40 on a regular basis, but they dont get many replies for whatever reason. the PP15 games and the live 100-200 games are the ones that spark interest.

Nomar
03-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Maybe with the current growth of poker and these forums, we can seperate mid and high stakes.

High could be hands above the 40-80 / 50-100 levels

bicyclekick
03-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Definately a great idea nomar. I was just thinking this the other week...but never got around to posting it.

Philuva
03-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Definitely, the dynamics between a 15-30 PP hand and a 100-200 live hand or even a 40-80 hand are so significant, I think each require seperate forums.

I would like to see a 40-80 and above forum.

Also, you need to post more in this high limit forum too. How was your trip to Commerce?

haakee
03-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I'd love to see some of these guys in a B&M without the handy stats hovering over every opponent's shoulder.

bobbyi
03-12-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe with the current growth of poker and these forums, we can seperate mid and high stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I started reading twoplustwo, they were separate. At that time, the mid-limit forum was for 10/20 through 40/80 and the high limit forum was for any higher games as well as for pot limit and no limit (since at that time there were very few live pl/nl games, and the ones that there were tended to be at high stakes). It didn't work well at the time because all of the great discussion took place in the mid-limit forum (since that's what most people played), and as a result people who wanted to post 80/160 hands would do it there since the high limit forum was mostly ignored. Of course, this became a cycle (since no hands were posted there, no one looked at the forum and since no one looked, people didn't post hands there) and the high limit forum because barren as the mid-limit forum became the defacto mid- and high-limit forum, so eventually they were officially mereged, which everyone agreed was a good idea. However, there were a lot less people reading twoplustwo at the time. You might be right that we now have enough people to support two separate forums again.

ike
03-12-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one here can honestly tell me they would change how they played a hand (profitably) if the opponent's VIP is 29 or 22 or 19 or 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so, so, so, sooooooooooooooo wrong. 19 limps in mp, folded to me on the button, I fold A5o. If its a 30 I raise. If you're not thinking this way you're probably losing, maybe winning small.

Barry
03-12-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see some of these guys in a B&M without the handy stats hovering over every opponent's shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a lot in both environments. At B&M you see the same folks over and over and for long stretches at a time and can totally focus on the game that you are in at 35-40 hands/hour. So you can almost keep their "stats" in your head.

With 3 (or more) tables going at 250+ hands an hour, 30+ opponents that are regularly turning over, you have to split your attention more and react faster. So having something as a "reminder" on the player is helpful when the computer beeps at you and the action is on you.

haakee
03-12-2005, 08:36 PM
I also play both a lot, although probably 70% B&M, 30% online. I just started using pokertracker a couple months ago.

I think the people who use pokertracker and play online exclusively are going to find it difficult to adjust to characterizing opponents live.

Turning Stone Pro
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

TSP

trevor
03-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Very insightful

4thstreetpete
03-13-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also play both a lot, although probably 70% B&M, 30% online. I just started using pokertracker a couple months ago.

I think the people who use pokertracker and play online exclusively are going to find it difficult to adjust to characterizing opponents live.

[/ QUOTE ]

bwhahaahahha!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SinCityGuy
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
agreed. no one here can honestly tell me they would change how they played a hand (profitably) if the opponent's VIP is 29 or 22 or 19 or 30.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

It becomes fairly significant with a large sample. If a 92/48/12 guy open-raises in MP, you 3-bet him with AJo. If a 9/2/1 guy raises UTG, you might even consider mucking TT.

SinCityGuy
03-13-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous.

When I play B&M (rarely, anymore), the game moves in slow motion. I have what seems like an infinite amount of time to analyze every action at the table. At times, it's like watching paint dry.

SinCityGuy
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much disregard any post that starts with Pokertracker stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the biggest culprit is that [censored] hand converter. Instead of having to type out the hand and actually put some thought into it, legions of posters have taken the "assembly line" approach, cutting and pasting hands at maniacal rates.