PDA

View Full Version : River Decision

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Looking for a sanity check here.

'Stars $30 +3 single. Level I 10/20 blinds. 7 left, one big stack, the rest of us have 1420-1460. Big stack not involved in this hand.

I'm UTG with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and limp. CO calls, SB folds, BB checks. (70)

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, I bet 60, CO calls, BB folds. (190)

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet 120, CO calls. (430)

River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The dilemma. This looks like a case where I only get called if I'm beat, but if I check, a lot of hands that I beat can push me out.

Thoughts? Flames? My action and results later.

Jman28
03-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I play hands like this more tight/passively. That said, I should work on that, and I think your line is defensible.

I check-fold the flop too often here. I'd also check the turn. But again, I'm not too confident in this area of my game.

Basically, the main two scenarios are a missed flush draw and a weak/medium Ace.

So, there are a few options on the river.

Bet for value (Obviously wrong)
Blocking bet
Check-call
Check-fold

Personally, I like checking best, and I think I'll call any bet under the pot size.

When you check, he should check behind most aces if he's reasonable, which makes me more suspicious of a bet.

Although I feel an ace is more likely than the flush draw up to the point of your turn on the river, once you check, his action makes things different.

I think that when he bets 200-430, you're ahead enough to warrant a call.

-Jman28

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I bet 200, he calls and shows K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

Not a hand that was in the range I considered. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

curtains
03-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I generally check the turn here.

microbet
03-12-2005, 05:15 PM
With 88, at this stage, I generally play no set-no bet. With the villian checking that flop, a bet of 1/2 pot might take it down. In this case the 1/2 pot bet looks like it might have gotten you 2 more chances to find trips also.

Still, in Level I, I probably don't put in any more money without a set, a good draw with very good pot odds, or only undercards on the board.

codewarrior
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Kurn, I fold 88 UTG here. Or, limp/fold the flop.