PDA

View Full Version : Kerry has contempt for the American people.

Broken Glass Can
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Kerry Loves the Mainstream Media and has contempt for the American people (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/350fnrnt.asp)

JOHN KERRY EFFECTIVELY ENDED HIS political career on February 28, 2005, during a little-noticed event at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston. Senator Kerry was being presented with the library's "Distinguished American Award"--a bust of John Kennedy. The artist had portrayed JFK with head slightly tilted. The bust looked puzzled. The award was presented by Senator Ted Kennedy, who phoned it in. Supposedly Kennedy was rushing to catch the "last plane out of Logan" to get to Washington for a vital debate on bankruptcy reform legislation. Why the other senator from Massachusetts wasn't vital was not explained. Nor was it explained why any Democrat was vital to a debate on legislation that was simply to be passed by the Republican majority and signed by the Republican president.

Paul Kirk, chairman of the Kennedy library, former Ted Kennedy staffer, and head of the DNC back when Kennedys mattered, introduced Kennedy's disembodied voice. Kennedy praised Kerry's "passion for the value of politics" and "practice of the politics of values." (Where is Ted Sorenson when you need him?) Kennedy did his best to laud Kerry's thin legislative record: "a key voice on arms control." He added, "I can't wait for Kerry in oh-eight" and suggested this as a bumpersticker.

The rest of the evening was devoted to "A Conversation with Senator John F. Kerry." Acting as interlocutor was Boston Globe columnist Thomas Oliphant, who simpered and fidgeted and compared Kerry to Adlai Stevenson.

Addressing the audience of tame Democrats, Kerry explained his defeat. "There has been," he said, "a profound and negative change in the relationship of America's media with the American people. . . . If 77 percent of the people who voted for George Bush on Election Day believed weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq--as they did--and 77 percent of the people who voted for him believed that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11--as they did--then something has happened in the way in which we are talking to each other and who is arbitrating the truth in American politics. . . . When fear is dominating the discussion and when there are false choices presented and there is no arbitrator, we have a problem."

America is not doctrinaire. It's hard for an American politician to come up with an ideological position that is permanently unforgivable. Henry Wallace never quite managed, or George Wallace either. But Kerry's done it. American free speech needs to be submitted to arbitration because Americans aren't smart enough to have a First Amendment, and you can tell this is so, because Americans weren't smart enough to vote for John Kerry.

"We learned," Kerry continued, "that the mainstream media, over the course of the last year, did a pretty good job of discerning. But there's a subculture and a sub-media that talks and keeps things going for entertainment purposes rather than for the flow of information. And that has a profound impact and undermines what we call the mainstream media of the country. And so the decision-making ability of the American electorate has been profoundly impacted as a consequence of that. The question is, what are we going to do about it?"

Kerry is hilariously bad as a demagogue. A low subculture and its inferior sub-media are thwarting the will of the sacred mainstream? His small sparks of malice were blurred by vast, damp clouds of Kerry-fog--murky budget critiques, hazy pronouncements on Social Security and health care, foreign policy vaporings, leaden anecdotes, and an obscure protest that 45 percent of West Virginians lack sewer hook-ups. Kerry was led back to the main point by a question from the audience: "How [do we] stop the media from creating and perpetuating the divisive red state/blue state situation?"

Kerry looked sympathetically at Oliphant--a representative of the mainstream media--and answered as if Oliphant himself had asked the question. "Tom, I swear I don't have the answer to that. And I'm looking for it just like everybody else is. . . . I think part of what we have to do is have an impact on the economics. The corporatization of the media in America has taken away some of the willingness of the media to do the great muckraking they used to do and to be the accountability folks they used to be. And so you have so many different media outlets that are just bottom-line, and they go where the ratings tell them to go. And there's a top-down hierarchical administration of what they'll go after and what they'll do, and it's driven by the economics more than anything. I think if we were to change the economics a little bit through grassroots effort, then you might begin
to see a shift." Kerry did not elaborate on the nature of this grassroots effort. Do we smash the windows of Rupert Murdoch's headquarters? Do we nationalize the Drudge Report? "Now, beyond that," Kerry said, shrugging and pausing, "an epiphany of some kind?" Or do we just get in touch with our inner mainstream?

Kerry smirked at Oliphant. Oliphant smirked back. Kerry went on: "A lot of the mainstream media were very responsible during the campaign. They tried to put out a balanced view, and they did show what they thought to be the truth in certain situations of attack. . . . But it never penetrated. And when you look at the statistics and understand that about 80 percent of America gets 100 percent of its news from television, and a great deal of that news comes from either MTV, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, Jay Leno, David Letterman, you begin to see the size of the challenge." (Those were all Kerry supporters or, at any rate, Bush opponents, but this thought--if any thinking occurred--didn't slow Kerry.) "And so I don't have the total answer. I just know it's something that we've really got to grapple with."

Oliphant responded, in a responsible mainstream media way, saying, "Going back to the economics of it, though, isn't this why God created the Sherman and Clayton acts?"

You never know what's going to set someone off. Maybe the mention of antitrust legislation evoked subliminal images of unfair competition, tipping the balance of Kerry's mind and causing miswired synapses to fire. Suddenly he went from having some wrong opinions and even a few wicked thoughts to having--how does one put this in the mainstream media?--special needs.

"That's something," Kerry said, "that a president with a veto pen and with the right of proposal can achieve. But in this particular dynamic don't hold your breath. There ain't going to be no effort to change that or restore the Fairness Doctrine. This all began, incidentally, when the Fairness Doctrine ended. You would have had a dramatic change in the discussion in this country had we still had a Fairness Doctrine in the course of the last campaign. But the absence of a Fairness Doctrine and the corporatization of the media has changed dramatically the ability of and the filter through which certain kinds of information get to the American people . . . "

Kerry kept talking. But it seems cruel to transcribe more. It would be like taking sightseers to Bedlam--or to an '08 Democratic primary.

P.J. O'Rourke is a contributing editor to The Weekly Standard and author, most recently, of Peace Kills (Atlantic Monthly Press).

andyfox
03-12-2005, 02:51 PM
A rambling, incoherent, inaccurate analysis. Some examples:

"JOHN KERRY EFFECTIVELY ENDED HIS political career on February 28, 2005"

-Kerry will likely be a United States senator for as long as he wants. And if Hillary decides not to runk, he might well be the frontrunner for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.

"Supposedly Kennedy was rushing to catch the 'last plane out of Logan' to get to Washington for a vital debate on bankruptcy reform legislation. Why the other senator from Massachusetts wasn't vital was not explained.

-Senator Kennedy is on the joint economic committee; Senator Kerry is not.

"It's hard for an American politician to come up with an ideological position that is permanently unforgivable. Henry Wallace never quite managed, or George Wallace either. But Kerry's done it. American free speech needs to be submitted to arbitration because Americans aren't smart enough to have a First Amendment, and you can tell this is so, because Americans weren't smart enough to vote for John Kerry."

-This is not at all what Kerry said. What he said was that a huge majority of people who voted for Bush had erroneous ideas about two key issues. He questionied the functioning of our media in light of this. This is similar to the complaints of consevative pundits who constantly harp on the mainstream media's alleged liberal bias.

" 'there's a subculture and a sub-media that talks and keeps things going for entertainment purposes rather than for the flow of information. And that has a profound impact and undermines what we call the mainstream media of the country. And so the decision-making ability of the American electorate has been profoundly impacted as a consequence of that. The question is, what are we going to do about it?'

Kerry is hilariously bad as a demagogue. A low subculture and its inferior sub-media are thwarting the will of the sacred mainstream?"

-O'Rourke is missing the point. We now have a sub-culture where news is entertainment. Two days ago, that news subculture was filled with riveting news of Michael Jackson's pajamas; yesterday with the nut who shot some people in Atlanta. A survey we discussed here in two threads showed how misinformed people are who get their news from Fox and CBS. Where is the great problem in discussing the issues, the corporatization of the media, the repeal of the fariness doctrine, etc.? Wouldn't it be a greater problem if we didn't discuss them?

FWIW, I think Kerry is wrong. I think the mainstream media was always lousy, always a cheerleader for truth, justice and the American Way. I think, if we looked, we would find that polls indicated that Americans were always woefully misinformed, swallowing hook, line and sinker, whatever the bullshit flavor of the month was that their government was trying to sell them. There's a lot more of it out there now, since cable news and talk radio have become 24-hours-a-day seven-days-a-week entertainment venues. And of course Kerry is covering up the lousy job his own campaign did and putting some of the blame for his loss, as politicians of all political stripes are wont to do, elsewhere.

Kerry is a non-entity at this point. There's a reason why the event was "little noticed." Who really cares what he says, he lost the election, remember? The need of the right to constantly snipe at him after his loss is more evidence of the vindictive ugliness that permeates American public life now. When I was a kid we listened to Edward R. Murrow and Eleanor Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower and Robert Taft and I.F. Stone and William F. Buckley and they made their points with logic and decency, even when they were dead wrong. Now we have Rush Limbaugh and James Carville and Sean Hannity and Howard Dean and P.J. O'Rourke. Enough said.

Dead
03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
No he doesn't. Man, PJ O'Rourke is some Libertarian, what with supporting the war in Iraq and all.

Utah
03-12-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid we listened to Edward R. Murrow and Eleanor Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower and Robert Taft and I.F. Stone and William F. Buckley and they made their points with logic and decency, even when they were dead wrong. Now we have Rush Limbaugh and James Carville and Sean Hannity and Howard Dean and P.J. O'Rourke. Enough said.

[/ QUOTE ]
My god that made you sound really old. Tell us about the good ole days grandpa. (sorry. couldnt resist /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I really dont mind the confrontational style of today's media. To be honest, when Rush is not on the air I get too bored with his dry replacements and I listen to something else. We have dry boring politics - its called NPR. Do you listen NPR or do you listen to the confrontation guys?

Also, there is Tim Russert who I think is an excellent interviewer and he fits the mold of your old school classy interviewer.

cardcounter0
03-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow! A very good post.
You are 100% right. Rambling incoherent babble passes for rational thought now.

andyfox
03-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I listen to both NPR and the confrontational guys for entertainment. (And I think part of Kerry's problem was that he came across as being so humorless.)

But I think his comments in the cited article were insightful. O'Rourke's were merely inciteful.

Utah
03-12-2005, 10:50 PM
"But I think his comments in the cited article were insightful"

I thought your original analysis was excellent so I dont really have much to add. However, it was his job to get the message out and he failed miserably in doing so. He is blaming another group for his own incompetence. Maybe the media is culpable, but he might want to look inward first.

His comments illustrated for me one of the key reasons why I am so happy he is not in President. Kerry completely lacks the heart of a leader.

Daliman
03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
At times PJ makes me ashamed to be an O'Rourke.

Dead
03-13-2005, 09:18 PM
The dumbass proved that he is just a shill for the Republican Party, as a lot of so-called "libertarians" are.

andyfox
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
"it was his job to get the message out and he failed miserably in doing so. He is blaming another group for his own incompetence. Maybe the media is culpable, but he might want to look inward first."

I agree 100%. (and $100 worth /images/graemlins/wink.gif)