PDA

View Full Version : EV of calling to hit a gutshot

dblgutshot
03-12-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm clear about the concepts but just not sure how to calculate the EV's of different hands.

Say there are ten in preflop for 2 bets each. You hold KQo, flop comes AT3, and small blind bets out. everybody calls, so there are 29 bets in the pot and you have to call 1.

What is EV of calling?

2ndGoat
03-12-2005, 04:44 AM
For simplicity, we'll assume there's no more betting after this call, that your gutshot is always good if you hit it, and hitting the gutshot is the only way you win the pot. Your EV is then just what you figure to get out of the pot minus what you put in. What goes in is easy- 1 small bet. Now what you get out is your probability of winning multiplied by the size of the pot. You chance of winning is 4/47, and the pot is 30 SB (when it is awarded, after you have called), so you figure to get a return of 120/47, or 2.55 small bets. So your EV is 2.55 - 1 = 1.55 small bets, relative to folding worth 0 bets.

Pretty sure that's right but I'm very tired. Just slowplayed a nut straight on omaha on accident because I didn't realize I had it until the turn.

2nd

dblgutshot
03-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I figured that part out.

I was having some problems figuring out how to calculate hitting my gutshot by the river, with most likely a bet to be called on the turn.

However I think I figured it out, applying the same concept from flop->turn, as from the turn->river (with differnet # of bets, etc).

Anyway sorry for the dumb post, i think i got it. Thanks for the help.

2ndGoat
03-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow, I *was* really tired to not factor in the chance of hitting on the river.

Well I guess you've got it figured out now.

2nd