jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Per Day:
one bowl Whole Grain Total
four servings protein powder
one mulit-vitamin
one lean cuisine entree
3 or more liters water

This comes to 958 calories, and 100+% of most nutrients. Maybe I'm a moron, but this seems like it could provide all the nutrition needed.

If this could work, I would think one could loose weight quite easily.

(I've been trying it for 3 days now. I feel great, and not hungry at all. I weighed 350lbs when I started.)

M2d
03-12-2005, 01:15 AM
do you have to lose weight fast? seems to me a more effective diet would be one that's easier to stick to. you'd lose weight at a slower rate, but you'd be much more likely to stick to it through the long haul.
the diet you described has "cheat" written all over it.

scotty34
03-12-2005, 01:16 AM
That sounds great, but seriously, talk to your doctor before you continue it. A doctor would definetly know more about this than 2+2'ers, and it may be very unsafe. If he gives the OK, then go for it. Post the results monthly or so; I'm curious to know.

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm not under any presure to loose weight at all, but I would like to. I've never been able to stick to a diet for any length of time, but I think the one I described (which I made up without any medical advice BTW) may be easier to stick to than anything else I've tried. I guess I'll find out.

daryn
03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
diets are nothing special. just take multivitamins for nutrition, and eat XXXX calories per day, and lose weight.

daryn is right
03-12-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
diets are nothing special. just take multivitamins for nutrition, and eat XXXX calories per day, and lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't have said it any better myself.

mason55
03-12-2005, 01:31 AM
You need to vary what you eat and vary the amount of calories you intake each day. Otherwise your body will enter homeostasis, aka "a plateau". And then you'll come on 2+2 and say I'm only eating 1000 calories a day why aren't i losing weight?!?!?!?

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 01:35 AM
well, I did plan on eating a different lean cuisine entree, they have different amounts of calories and different nutrients. The number I listed before was an average. I suppose I could also vary the type of cereal I eat.

Reef
03-12-2005, 01:36 AM
and your excercise?

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and your excercise?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, a few crunches, and a few pushups. does it matter? I'd burn more calories than I'd eat just doing my normal daily stuff.

mason55
03-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Ok, cool. If you have a range of 500-600 calories you'll be fine. 1300 calories one day, 800 the next, 1000 the next, etc. Just make sure your body doesn't get complacent.

mason55
03-12-2005, 01:40 AM
You should lift weight, build some good muscle tone. Muscle will help burn more calories while you're just sitting still, so once you get tired of 1000 calories/day you can eat a little more and still lose weight without working out too much (ie jogging 3 miles a day or something ridiculous like that)

Beerfund
03-12-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and your excercise?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, a few crunches, and a few pushups. does it matter? I'd burn more calories than I'd eat just doing my normal daily stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it freakin matters, I loathe people that think they can come up with some new "wonder diet" and think they can lose weight without exercise. Also, you'll never stick to this diet, kid yourself if you want to but if you want to lose weight get of your a$$ and go jogging. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Beerfund
03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(ie jogging 3 miles a day or something ridiculous like that)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right that is ridiculous! Please, 3 miles? I run 40+ miles a week.

mason55
03-12-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on here. For someone who thinks that doing a few pushups and crunches per day is working out, jogging 3 miles is pretty ridiculous. Part of developing a good diet/exercise plan is picking something you can stick to. At 350 lbs, just switching to a healthy diet is more than enough for now. He's' not trying to get into peak physical shape, he's trying to get under 300 pounds.

When he's under a deuce then he can join the 40 mile a week club. Until then, a healthy diet will be more than enough, although it definitely needs more variation, you're going to be tired of all that [censored] in anoather week or so.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Guess he showed us eh.

astroglide
03-12-2005, 02:56 AM
if a person sticks to a diet they will definitely lose whatever weight they want to lose with 0 exercise

TimM
03-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Cutting your calories this low will put your body on a starvation level of metabolism. You will not benefit over a more realistic diet.

JGalt
03-12-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on here. For someone who thinks that doing a few pushups and crunches per day is working out, jogging 3 miles is pretty ridiculous. Part of developing a good diet/exercise plan is picking something you can stick to. At 350 lbs, just switching to a healthy diet is more than enough for now. He's' not trying to get into peak physical shape, he's trying to get under 300 pounds.

When he's under a deuce then he can join the 40 mile a week club. Until then, a healthy diet will be more than enough, although it definitely needs more variation, you're going to be tired of all that [censored] in anoather week or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice.

pshreck
03-12-2005, 04:18 AM
Starting at 350 pounds, which is severly obese, I think it is unwise to start off with a 1000 calorie diet.

Just eat normally. Start off at around 2k calories per day, and do maybe a 30 minute walk (I assume 350 pounders cant really run whatsoever?)

I am not a dietician, but I have been involved with nutritional crap for years, being a competitive wrestler for a while. You will feel ok dieting heavily for maybe 7 days, but your body will adjust and react badly to a lack of calories after a while. Crazy over-the-top diets dont usually last and dont usually work.

JackWilson
03-12-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cutting your calories this low will put your body on a starvation level of metabolism. You will not benefit over a more realistic diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This is too low. Your body will try and store everything it takes in as fat, as well as use much less energy.

GrekeHaus
03-12-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not this diet can be successful or not is dependant on several things: Your current weight, your target weight, and your current caloric intake.

If you're at 350 pounds this diet will NOT get you down to a more reasonable weight.

The basic premise of weight loss is simple. If you're taking in more calories on a daily basis than you're burning, you will gain weight. If you're burning more than you take in, you will lose weight.

The main problem with your idea is that although you may have enormous short term results, you are doing long term harm by damage by severely reducing your metabolism. If your current caloric intake is around 2,000 calories (which would be quite small for anybody at 350), you will be cutting this in half. Eventually, your body will adjust to the lower intake of calories and your metabolism will plummet. Even with 4 servings of protein powder a day, your body will be getting so many fewer calories a day, it will be forced to start breaking down your muscle for energy. As a result, if you ever change diets to something that has a reasonable intake of calories your weight will skyrocket again. This is what causes the baloon diet effect experienced by Oprah, et al.

The most fat you can expect to lose is about 2 lbs/week. If you are losing more than this for an extended period of time it means you are losing water weight, muscle mass, or other body tissue.

From the sound of it, you live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. If you really want to lose weight, I'd recommend exercising more. Crash diets like this one are appealing because they seem so easy compared to exercise, but to truly lose weight and keep it off also requires keeping your metabolism high, which this diet will not do.

Think of things this way. If you are maintaining your current weight with your current level of activity, it means that you are burning the same number of calories that you are taking in. Now, if you start exercising more (say walking 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week to start out), your body will now be taking in the same number of calories as it did before, but will be burning more. As a result, you will HAVE to lose weight (assuming you don't start eating more to compensate). In addition, as your metabolism goes up and your weight goes down, exercise will become easier, so you will be able to start doing more intense exercise for longer periods of time.

DO NOT SAY THAT EXERCISE IS NOT IMPORTANT. Anybody who claims to have a long term solution to obesity that doesn't involve exercise is a liar. It is THE most important part. I know it's hard to exercise when you're that overweight, but that's no excuse. You need to stop trying to convince yourself that these ridiculous diets will work and get your ass out there. You will eventually tire of this diet and slip into old eating habits, at which time your weight will go higher than it is now. Even if you do manage to stay on this diet for a while, it is quite likely that you could get very sick.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:05 AM
It's fine bro.

When I dieted last year, I only had 650 calories per day. You're having a feast compared to me. And I did half an hour of walking most days.

Good luck. And if you're an older person then check with your doc first.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to vary what you eat and vary the amount of calories you intake each day. Otherwise your body will enter homeostasis, aka "a plateau". And then you'll come on 2+2 and say I'm only eating 1000 calories a day why aren't i losing weight?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. I lost 35 pounds in 7 anda half weeks by eating the exact same thing for like 45 days plus exercise.

There were periods of 2 or 3 days where I plateaued, but then the weight continued to fall off.

housenuts
03-12-2005, 07:09 AM
how about hitting the gym?

diets are the lazy man's way out of fatness. actually running and excercising is the best way out. i don't know any fat men that have had a consistent excercise routine for a year. get off the couch and hit the hard pact. i don't mean to sound harsh but really think about going for brisk walks at least. maybe get a dog that you can run around for an hour or so a day. once you break 300 then you can get into more stuff. but as others say just doing an abrupt diet change will only slow your metabolism.

if you're not excercising you still may not even burn off 1,000 calories just clicking away on the remote control. although i would assume it would burn alot of calories to lift a 60 pound arm, or move a 100 pound leg.

Dead
03-12-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This is too low. Your body will try and store everything it takes in as fat, as well as use much less energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true and not true.

Have you guys ever even tried what he is suggesting? Maybe you heard this on TV or something but it is not true.

The starvation level of the metabolism is a myth. What this guy is doing WILL work for him.

See posts above.

emil3000
03-12-2005, 12:07 PM
He certainly will lose weight, the problem is what part of his body he will lose. Without exercise, the answer is too much muscle mass and too little fat to be satisfying. Cortisol is the mediating hormone here, and while it is lipolytic, it also is protein catabolic, which reduces muscle mass.

To say that he won't lose weight if he burns more calories than he eats is absurd. However, there is the matter of losing the right parts, and there is the matter of keeping your new weight afterwards. A very intense diet has some problems in these departments.

tbach24
03-12-2005, 12:24 PM
If it's working, then all the power to you.

However, the larger you are, the easier it is to lose weight. You don't need to cut that many calories and by cutting that many you may feel the urge to binge.

BadBoyBenny
03-12-2005, 02:05 PM
For variation you can eat beef jerky instead of your protien powder. Also, if you get sick of drinking that much water, you can try eating celery.

You can also eat tuna. Soup is also low calorie for how filling it is. You may want to check if your blood pressure is OK before eating a lot of it though.

If you don't think you can stick to an exercise plan at all, try and add more exercise into your daily life.

Take the stairs over the eleveator if that's available anywhere you go. Even taking 4 or five flights of stairs and then hopping on the elevator would be helpful.

Always park in the back row and walk farther to a store, school, where ever you are going.

If you just do pushups and situps do a few squats afterward. Doing something with your legs will liekly burn more calories.

I don't know when you eat your different meals, but I wouldn't eat the lean cuisine last. I have that around dinnertime and then have your last shake later in the night.

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The main problem with your idea is that although you may have enormous short term results, you are doing long term harm by damage by severely reducing your metabolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I so a little exerceise (say walking 20 minutes per day to start) would that help to keep my metabolism up? Could my metabolism really drow to the point where I burn less than 1000 calories per day?

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you do manage to stay on this diet for a while, it is quite likely that you could get very sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am most concerned about. Why would I get sick? I wouldn't be deficient in nutrients.

FishBurger
03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I like the low-carb diet because you can eat all the meat you want. Check out the book "Protein Power" if it sounds like something you might be interested in.

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He certainly will lose weight, the problem is what part of his body he will lose. Without exercise, the answer is too much muscle mass and too little fat to be satisfying. Cortisol is the mediating hormone here, and while it is lipolytic, it also is protein catabolic, which reduces muscle mass.

To say that he won't lose weight if he burns more calories than he eats is absurd. However, there is the matter of losing the right parts, and there is the matter of keeping your new weight afterwards. A very intense diet has some problems in these departments.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I think that I have very little muscle mass to loose. I figure that as I approach my goal weight (which I haven't selected yet), I can gradually add more calories untill I am at my goal weight and on a "weight maintance diet".

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just eat normally. Start off at around 2k calories per day, and do maybe a 30 minute walk

[/ QUOTE ]

I so not believe that I have the discipline to "just eat normally". I think I am much more likely to stick with something radically different.

[ QUOTE ]
(I assume 350 pounders cant really run whatsoever?)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, not much. Insidently, when I wrestled in high school (I weighed about 240lbs then) I discovered that there is pretty much nothing that I dislike more than running.

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And if you're an older person then check with your doc first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 25.

jstnrgrs
03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]
For variation you can eat beef jerky instead of your protien powder. Also, if you get sick of drinking that much water, you can try eating celery.

You can also eat tuna. Soup is also low calorie for how filling it is. You may want to check if your blood pressure is OK before eating a lot of it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep this in mind if I get board.

[ QUOTE ]
Take the stairs over the eleveator if that's available anywhere you go. Even taking 4 or five flights of stairs and then hopping on the elevator would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not encounter any elevators in my ordinary routine. I do however live on the third floor, so I have been walking up and down stairs (at least a little bit) for a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
Always park in the back row and walk farther to a store, school, where ever you are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do this.

[ QUOTE ]
If you just do pushups and situps do a few squats afterward. Doing something with your legs will liekly burn more calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only known squats as something thats done with a barbell on your back. I do not own a squat rack, and I'm not going to join a gym just to do squats (however, I may join a gym for a more compleate workout at some point in the future. I'm not sure)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know when you eat your different meals, but I wouldn't eat the lean cuisine last. I have that around dinnertime and then have your last shake later in the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I've been doing, but why does it matter?

tbach24
03-12-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only known squats as something thats done with a barbell on your back. I do not own a squat rack, and I'm not going to join a gym just to do squats (however, I may join a gym for a more compleate workout at some point in the future. I'm not sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just doing the squat motion is very good. You can also hold weights in your hands.

Gamblor
03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
I nominate you for gimmick account of the week.

Dead
03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And if you're an older person then check with your doc first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm sure you're fine. Good luck.

GrekeHaus
03-13-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The main problem with your idea is that although you may have enormous short term results, you are doing long term harm by damage by severely reducing your metabolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I so a little exerceise (say walking 20 minutes per day to start) would that help to keep my metabolism up? Could my metabolism really drow to the point where I burn less than 1000 calories per day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should do more if possible, but this will be a good start. Try to focus on being able to walk faster and longer. If you feel really good, try to incorporate a little bit of running (maybe two or three short runs of a minute or so). The people who say you should try to run 3 miles are ridiculous. You won't be able to do it and you'll just end up frustrated if you try. Start small and work your way up. I did the same thing when I was in high school.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if you do manage to stay on this diet for a while, it is quite likely that you could get very sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am most concerned about. Why would I get sick? I wouldn't be deficient in nutrients.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your body isn't getting enough calories, it has to work hard to find calories to burn. If the dropoff is too extreme, you can risk organ failure. What is more likely is that you will just feel very fatigued and your immune system will weaken, making you more prone to normal illnesses. This is actually a risk anytime you're losing weight, which is why it's important that you do it SLOWLY. Losing this weight is not going to happen over night.

mason55
03-13-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the low-carb diet because you can eat all the meat you want. Check out the book "Protein Power" if it sounds like something you might be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, someone who is obese needs to add more fat to their body. That sounds like a great plan. Jesus [censored] christ I thought this lo carb bullshit was done. Please do not attempt atkins diet. It is terrible for your body and you'll probably gain the weight back anyways.

Look, the idea here is to make a lifestyle change. You might have to make some extra changes to lose the weight but the long term goal is to maintain. Eatin 900 calories is not a healthy lifestyle change, it's a crash diet. If you change to a healthy lifestyle you'll slowly lose weight you'll maintain once you get there. You want to build healthy routines not try to crash off all the weight. Don't believe the atkins BS, and I really don't think your 1000 calorie diet is the best idea ever.

Create a HEALTHY diet plan with a medium calorie defecit. Add some MINOR exercise for now and ramp it up once you lose the weight and start to get into shape. Create a new lifestyle for yourself, not a 12 week crash diet. That is the only way this will succed in the long term, which I assume is your goal.

jstnrgrs
03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I think I'd rather be fat.

pshreck
03-14-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd rather be fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are just losing weight to look reasonable, then you can probably pull it off without running, no big deal.

If you ever want to look good in a bathing suit, or impress the ladies, then you would really have to work a run somewhere into your exercising at some point. But at 350 pounds, I imagine this may not even be a long term goal.

Stuey
03-14-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if a person sticks to a diet they will definitely lose whatever weight they want to lose with 0 exercise

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth. But exercise and you will feel as good as you look. A long term change in eating habits is very hard but possible. Start exercising and it gets easier everyday till you feel like you have to do it. If you have to be addicted to something exercise is the best I have found.

OtisTheMarsupial
03-14-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This comes to 958 calories, and 100+% of most nutrients. Maybe I'm a moron, but this seems like it could provide all the nutrition needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. You need at least 1200 calories per day. Just ask any doctor.

Your best bet is to eat more (around 1500 - 2000 calories a day) and start working out. Work out for an hour a day EVERY day. This way, you'll burn off those extra calories, plus some throughout the day from your increased metabolic rate. On top of that, you'll tone up the fatty tissue that will otherwise just hang there after you lose the weight.

It's much more manageable this way. And that's the key to long term success.

Otis, a healthy weighted marsupial

PS - why are you posting this in a poker forum? There are ton of diet sites with forums you should be looking at.
Also, a good diet tracking tool is a program called DietPower. Look for it. It will tell you if you're getting enough nutrients and how many calories to eat and other diet advice.

BadBoyBenny
03-14-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i do not encounter any elevators in my ordinary routine. I do however live on the third floor, so I have been walking up and down stairs (at least a little bit) for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you get groceries or something you can carry them up one bag at a time. Anything that needlessly adds to your necessary daily activity. I hate exercise so I do crap like this to burn up calories.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to build up huge legs here. With a frame your size, just doing 3 sets of 20 with no wieght should give you a little workout.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pretty much what I've been doing, but why does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, eating carbs/fat before bed makes you more likely to turn them into fat. I'm not any kind of expert but this is what I've always been told.