PDA

View Full Version : The Film "Irreversible"

Rushmore
03-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Ok, I have some strong opinions about this film, some of which I suspect will not be popular here. Suffice it to say I thought it was a very worthwhile 90 minutes spent.

Have you seen it?

If so, what did you think?

_2000Flushes
03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm just glad they sequenced it the way they did. Otherwise it would have been an even worse date movie than it already was.

-2kF

pshreck
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Havent seen it, but from some of my film buff friends, I get the idea that it is pretentious crap.

I understand there is some ridiculous rape scene in it? How was that?

Rushmore
03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just glad they sequenced it the way they did. Otherwise it would have been an even worse date movie than it already was.-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, wasn't Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer playing that night?

Rushmore
03-12-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Havent seen it, but from some of my film buff friends, I get the idea that it is pretentious crap.

I understand there is some ridiculous rape scene in it? How was that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly had the idea it would be "pretentious crap," too, and was ready for that.

Then, in the first five minutes, I feared this was all but a certainty.

But then, the "pretentious" camera work, the frenetic styling, the incredible droning soundtrack in the opening scene, and the fact that there's this mystery about who these people are and what they're doing...well, it all worked out very nicely for me, even if somewhat against my will.

Both of the crucial scenes in this film are incredibly difficult to watch.

If I had gotten the impression that they were done purely gratuitously, the film would have been easy to dismiss.

But I found the realism and the absolute terror of the scenes (particularly the murder scene) to really add to the movie. I mean, murder and rape should be hard to watch, right?

Anyway, I would say it's definitely worth seeing twice.

At least it was provocative, let's put it that way.

-Syk-
03-13-2005, 03:42 AM
I liked it. I also liked I Stand Alone.